BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 530e - 32000km - Should I get BMW extended warranty?

01-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I got a pretty lengthy contract booklet from BMW (7 months after purchasing my BMW Extended Warranty).

If I get some time share the entire booklet I will, but I'd say the limitations were much longer than I expected... Especially compared to my old Mercedes plan.

But the limitation I thought was the most odd... They have an aggregate limit clause that allows them to wash their hands of the warranty if the total repairs exceed either your vehicle purchase price or the current NADA value at the time of a breakdown -- whichever is lower...

Whereas I would have expected the plan to cover all repairs for my car during its covered term since it is OEM provided...

To be honest, the reality that they added an aggregate claim limitation (which I didn't spot in my Mercedes Extended Warranty) makes me think it is probably a good idea to get an extended warranty of some kind. There has to be a reason they are trying to limit their maximum payouts on an OE provided plan that only last up to 3Y/100K miles on a new car.

Also found it odd that emissions related parts are excluded since the warranty term is longer than the emissions warranty by mileage...
If they wash their hands, do they at least pay you the value?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Not as I read it...

Name:  IMG_2970.jpeg
Views: 359
Size:  439.5 KB
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #25
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Really interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:44 AM   #26
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Wouldn't this concern be the same for any BMW ICE or PHEV or BEV?

They've had some pretty painful issues that I've seen discussed a fair bit on the forums like the timing chain issue on older generations and etc.

Many people swear by having having a warranty with BMW due to the risk of frequently high bills (which has earned the infamous nickname "Break My Wallet").

I'm not suggesting that BMWs are unreliable or that you need to have an extended warranty, but I just think if you're concerned about reliability with the brand you don't need to limit that to EVs.
Actually BMW reliability varies according to engine choice and rarity of production, meaning V8's and sometimes 4's are profoundly flawed while inline 6's are generally better. Their diesel offerings were quite well developed and came with solid reputations, save for perhaps use of the Bosch CP4 type HPFP's.

I usually pick a well engineered vehicle no matter which brand and don't lump all a manufacturer's cars together. Hybrids/EV's are new to BMW and do not have the track record of Toyota for example. The high cost of repair is not acceptable IMO.

And IMO extended warranties are profit centers with limited coverage and early expiration since I drive a new car way above the 100,000 mile expiration date and care for my fine machinery. My belief is that many repairs are premature due to client abuse of German cars under lease that are driven like Porsches.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:28 AM   #27
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Actually BMW reliability varies according to engine choice and rarity of production, meaning V8's and sometimes 4's are profoundly flawed while inline 6's are generally better. Their diesel offerings were quite well developed and came with solid reputations, save for perhaps use of the Bosch CP4 type HPFP's.

I usually pick a well engineered vehicle no matter which brand and don't lump all a manufacturer's cars together. Hybrids/EV's are new to BMW and do not have the track record of Toyota for example. The high cost of repair is not acceptable IMO.

And IMO extended warranties are profit centers with limited coverage and early expiration since I drive a new car way above the 100,000 mile expiration date and care for my fine machinery. My belief is that many repairs are premature due to client abuse of German cars under lease that are driven like Porsches.
That depends on how you buy them too, of course. If you’re buying used then you’ll have the benefit of time to help illuminate issues with a given model to see if there are any hints at its reliability. If you’re buying new you won’t have that historical record to leverage…

That being said, as I said earlier, I’m not lumping BMW as a lot together. I’m calling you out for doing this regarding their EVs.

Just an FYI, BMW has been developing EVs since 2014 or so and the ICE and PHEV drivetrain on the G30 were done in collaboration with Toyota. So they have been around for a long time as well!

All of that said, and staying on topic, I still think the fact BMW put an aggregate limit clause into my Extended Warranty that lasts 3Y/50K miles on top of my new car warranty (7Y/100K miles total) suggests to me that they have been hit with some heavy and frequent uses of those warranties. My Mercedes warranty had no such clause in my CPO warranty and that covered unlimited miles…

That clause has made me question how reliable BMW data suggests they are and makes me err on the side of a warranty is better than not now…

But I’m on BMW #1 and it was brand new so I don’t have generational experiences to have my own “feel” for their reliability.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 01-12-2022 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #28
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
As I read it, they do pay you the "value" as defined by the contract. You bought a contract with that limitation, so that limitation defines its value. So if you have been paid $8,000 in claims already, and then file a claim for another $4,000 at a time when your car is only worth $10,000, they will pay only $2,000 of that claim and be done with you. They have thus paid the full value of the contract.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:13 PM   #29
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
As I read it, they do pay you the "value" as defined by the contract. You bought a contract with that limitation, so that limitation defines its value. So if you have been paid $8,000 in claims already, and then file a claim for another $4,000 at a time when your car is only worth $10,000, they will pay only $2,000 of that claim and be done with you. They have thus paid the full value of the contract.
That is the way I read provision 4(a). But provision 4(b) seems to say that without authorized repairs, no compensation. Seems ambiguous to me. There is a rule of statutory construction that ambiguities in contracts are interpreted against the author. But the rule is not consistently applied by courts.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #30
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That being said, as I said earlier, I’m not lumping BMW as a lot together. I’m calling you out for doing this regarding their EVs.

Just an FYI, BMW has been developing EVs since 2014 or so and the ICE and PHEV drivetrain on the G30 were done in collaboration with Toyota. So they have been around for a long time as well!
One development cycle vs how many for Toyota? Tesla?

I like the idea of a BMW EV, so "lumping" them together doesn't really apply. I do tend to be a "lumper" vs. a "splitter" though, but as I've posted, BMW reliability varies more according to engine/model rarity so I pay attention to certain details before assessing risk, which I am loathe to take. I don't worry about anticipated losses as a reason for limited extended expensive warranties, so, don't really understand the logic of one.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #31
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
One development cycle vs how many for Toyota? Tesla?

I like the idea of a BMW EV, so "lumping" them together doesn't really apply. I do tend to be a "lumper" vs. a "splitter" though, but as I've posted, BMW reliability varies more according to engine/model rarity so I pay attention to certain details before assessing risk, which I am loathe to take. I don't worry about anticipated losses as a reason for limited extended expensive warranties, so, don't really understand the logic of one.

Thanks.
I'm not sure where you get 1 development cycle from... The G30 is on version 3 of the PHEV platform for BMW. I believe the LCI is on version 4.

I don't follow how you're worried about reliability, but you don't worry about "anticipated losses"? Isn't that reliability?

You're risk adverse, but don't see the logic in offloading that risk?

I am probably not understanding you at all though so I won't push the point much more as we're likely talking past each other I'd imagine?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:05 PM   #32
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry, the G30 is equal to one development cycle. Improvements are expected from time to time, but compared to a Prius on its 4th generation, it doesn't seem to compare.

I'm the definition of risk taking but calculated, not generalizing about, say, BMW being an "unreliable" brand. It depends....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #33
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry, the G30 is equal to one development cycle. Improvements are expected from time to time, but compared to a Prius on its 4th generation, it doesn't seem to compare.

I'm the definition of risk taking but calculated, not generalizing about, say, BMW being an "unreliable" brand. It depends....
Sure, but BMW had hybrid 5-Series in the F10 generation (the previous generation before the G30) that were produced starting in 2011. BWM also shares their PHEV “generation” across a lot more than just one product line. They share it across all of them and this is possible since they are replacing the transmission with the EV motor. It means they can match it with any of their engines and it is model agnostic…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_...ActiveHybrid_5

This platform is a lot more developed than you think…

Name:  BMW Hybrid Generation 4.png
Views: 279
Size:  507.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 05:27 PM   #34
eliphil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550I

I would reccomend a seperate wheel/tire policy if u live in an area w rough roads like me. My policy on my RS7 paid for itself twice but then again that car is lower and has 22 wheels my new 550 will be 19's
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #35
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Just to chip in here, the nasty catch phrase I don't like in warranties is the exclusion of wear and tear clause . Sounds fine until you come to claim then what you think is a warranty claim becomes fair wear and tear and there is no appeal against that decision except paying for expert opinion and claiming through the courts with that opinion to back you.

Learned that wiring isn't covered under mine (think all rubberized parts). So if the wiring decides to burn up then take the motor with it I won't be covered, but say a module burns up and takes a chunk of wiring with it the wires would be warrantied.
      01-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #36
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

I bought it last night for $4,861.50 CAD for 3 years and 67,000km. Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #37
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Learned that wiring isn't covered under mine (think all rubberized parts). So if the wiring decides to burn up then take the motor with it I won't be covered, but say a module burns up and takes a chunk of wiring with it the wires would be warrantied.
BMW extended or third party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
I bought it last night for $4,861.50 CAD for 3 years and 67,000km. Let's see what happens.
Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #38
ADSD530e
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

BAD KLE module 2018 530e with <50K Miles

I have another post, and figured I would share this experience on this thread as well about the warranty and this EV. The KLE Module on my 2018 530e went out under 50K Miles. I have been going and fighting tooth and nail and BMW is absolutely screwing people with this. It's a known issue and after going through levels within BMW Corporate they are stating the KLE is not a covered part, nor covered under the 70K Mile Battery warranty listed.

2018 DOES NOT COVER THIS PART?!?!?!? However in 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 this part is listed under the emissions and battery warranty?!?!?!?!? ABSOLUTELY MIND blowing and disgusted with this entire process. I have had 6 cars from BMW and have never had these issues. I just hit 49,400 miles on this car. ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS. I guess a last resort is to post this on the NHTSA because I know that I am not the only one getting screwed on this.

I purchased this CPO with 34K miles and have been driving a little more than a year. The experience has been an absolute Pain in the Butt, I Live in Southern CA and the accessibility to these chargers are not what they seem. Constantly broken and damaged, and the Range really does NOT add up for the money it costs to charge. Just my two cents, but I will be unloading this car and getting my GAS back!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 05:50 PM   #39
Zingeoff
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e xdrive

Buy it

Just got back from local bmw dealer who had to replace the TCB unit in my 2019 530e….i have the platinum warranty, which cost me $4250 to take the original warranty out to 7 years….this repair would have easily cost $1000K+…so, now my net for the extended warranty is $3250! A few more of these and the added warranty will have paid for itself….you decide - roll the dice or sleep well at night!
Appreciate 0