BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Official G30 CarPlay (6CP) Retrofit possible?

08-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #1
jeno007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530e (2017)

Official G30 CarPlay (6CP) Retrofit possible?

I have a deep technical question.
I have a new G30 BMW 530e bought in a NOT connected drive country.
6AK was included in the config as mandatory. I bought it with Business Navigation (606). (As I was in a not ConnectedDrive country, 6CP was not even possible.)

I spent some time in Germany, and I registered my car with the German connected drive service, and many things started working in the connected drive section. Also remote is working.
However, Apple CarPlay Preparation is marked as non compatible with my car, and I cannot buy it from the ConnectedDrive Store.

I spent a lot of time talking with the German ConnectedDrive customer service technition, and he told me, that a wifi antenne is missing from my car. He also told me that it's not the Wifi HotSpot what I miss. He suggested that I should ask for an official 6CP retrofit in a repair center, where they can check if the antenne would fit and do the retrofit.

Just for curiosity I configured a car on the German BMW configuration page with the same options as mines', and 6CP (CarPlay preparation) was selectable, but together with it it automaticaly included 6WD (Wifi HotSpot). Other difference was that it included 6AU (Connected E Drive services), instead of 6AG (E Drive services).

I also checked my car's headunit (HU_ENTRYNAV2) phisycally, and in the back of the HU, the wifi antenne IS connected, and the other end of the antenne IS in the wiring on the left side of the driving seat under the carpet. So I assume there is nothing phisycally missing from the car, only some official coding is needed.

And now my question, in case I order this retrofit from an official repair partner, could an official dealer or service partner register this replacement back to BMW? I assume this is needed to make me allowed to purchase the CarPlay service by the ConnectedStore.
Has anybody done something similar before?

Thank you in advance for your toughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
renmar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 G30 xDrive 520d

Hi
any progress on this topic?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
jeno007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530e (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renmar View Post
Hi
any progress on this topic?
thanks
Nope. I talked to the Hungarian BMW representative. She told me, that the retrofit is technically possible, but not yet in Hungary, due to licensing restrictions by Apple.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno007 View Post
Nope. I talked to the Hungarian BMW representative. She told me, that the retrofit is technically possible, but not yet in Hungary, due to licensing restrictions by Apple.
My car came with the Tech Pack (WiFi Prep) but no CarPlay. I could see CarPlay in ConnectedDrive Store but for £290!! Instead I paid £40 on eBay for a FSC USB code. Now working for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Quote:
My car came with the Tech Pack (WiFi Prep) but no CarPlay. I could see CarPlay in ConnectedDrive Store but for £290!! Instead I paid £40 on eBay for a FSC USB code. Now working for me.
Damn it, I paid for it. I'm jealous that I didn't think like you
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
wtruchano
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 e46

Hi
I am going to buy g30 but unfortunately it is equipped with business Navi. Is it true that apple car will be working? In my country “Poland” connected drive shop shows no compatibility. Any other codings like jeno007 used?. Also remote function is unavailable (would be great if working) because car has stationary heating

Thanks in advance.
Greetings from Poland.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #7
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

As I understand it you need Navigation Professional for Apple CarPlay to work. That makes no sense to me, as I would never use CarPlay, if my car had navigation. My car has no navigation (yet) so here CarPlay would make great sense - but no joy...
      03-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
renmar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 G30 xDrive 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtruchano View Post
Hi
I am going to buy g30 but unfortunately it is equipped with business Navi. Is it true that apple car will be working? In my country “Poland” connected drive shop shows no compatibility. Any other codings like jeno007 used?. Also remote function is unavailable (would be great if working) because car has stationary heating

Thanks in advance.
Greetings from Poland.
1-do you have an account (at BMW portal for connecteddrive)? - and you see that carplay is not offered to this particular vehicle?
(I can see such an offer for upgrade for my car - although I have a ProffNavi)

2-I can Start stationery heating using any of these media: PC, phone (BMW app on Android phone) and/or LCD key (but remote functions must be available - is it possible to add them to this vehicle? stationery heating seems to be not very useful when cannot be started remotely )

Send your 7-digits VIN code to guys from eBay offering upgrades by USB and ask them to check what they say about your car and possible options.

Cheers from 3city
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtruchano View Post
Hi

Thanks in advance.
Greetings from Poland.
609 Pro Nav required.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
simonasval
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750d (G11)

Quote:
I have a deep technical question.
I have a new G30 BMW 530e bought in a NOT connected drive country.
6AK was included in the config as mandatory. I bought it with Business Navigation (606). (As I was in a not ConnectedDrive country, 6CP was not even possible.)

I spent some time in Germany, and I registered my car with the German connected drive service, and many things started working in the connected drive section. Also remote is working.
However, Apple CarPlay Preparation is marked as non compatible with my car, and I cannot buy it from the ConnectedDrive Store.

I spent a lot of time talking with the German ConnectedDrive customer service technition, and he told me, that a wifi antenne is missing from my car. He also told me that it's not the Wifi HotSpot what I miss. He suggested that I should ask for an official 6CP retrofit in a repair center, where they can check if the antenne would fit and do the retrofit.

Just for curiosity I configured a car on the German BMW configuration page with the same options as mines', and 6CP (CarPlay preparation) was selectable, but together with it it automaticaly included 6WD (Wifi HotSpot). Other difference was that it included 6AU (Connected E Drive services), instead of 6AG (E Drive services).

I also checked my car's headunit (HU_ENTRYNAV2) phisycally, and in the back of the HU, the wifi antenne IS connected, and the other end of the antenne IS in the wiring on the left side of the driving seat under the carpet. So I assume there is nothing phisycally missing from the car, only some official coding is needed.

And now my question, in case I order this retrofit from an official repair partner, could an official dealer or service partner register this replacement back to BMW? I assume this is needed to make me allowed to purchase the CarPlay service by the ConnectedStore.
Has anybody done something similar before?

Thank you in advance for your toughts.
I have BMW G11 with ID6 bought from dealer in a non-connecteddrive country (Lithuania), but neither BMW dealer in Lithuania nor BMW dealers in Germany could help me to enable connected drive. Which dealer in Germany did you use to make your car have connecteddrive and what was the procedure?
Appreciate 0