BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW Compares G30 5 Series and F10 5 Series

01-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #67
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

But does it still DRIVE like a boat? Is the car suspension improved or does it still float, dip and dive? Does it weigh substantially less?

Not at all a fan of the fake electric gauges. No class what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:11 AM   #68
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

I had the pleasure this weekend to see the 2ns G30 in flesh on the highway, must admit a big disappointment with the front headlight, specifically the white top parts/indicator side I find it very big in proportion and lacking aggressiveness with it straight doll line, but what shocked me was the size of the rear lights, my wife though it was a 3 series, I find them too big and made the car look like a lexus.
I was at the launch back in November but the car was in doors, it is shaping up worse than I thought in flesh on the road. Both cars had partial camouflage on them not sure why, maybe to attract attention on the road.
My dealer called me to let me know the car is in for test drive, I guess will make up my mind once I test the car. But I am now seriously looking into a grand coupe 6 or 4 instead of the new 5, maybe the new 3 series down the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 03:32 AM   #69
Raheem
raheemdot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
But does it still DRIVE like a boat? Is the car suspension improved or does it still float, dip and dive? Does it weigh substantially less?

Well apparently it weights circa 100kg across the range is what BMW is saying. Also, most car reviews have really emphasised that they think the new 5er drives a lot better and feels more nimble, but I guess your gonna have to test drive to see if it's up to your own personal expectations. Everyone always has different opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:25 AM   #70
BRNDNSLVRA
奈良シカマル
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
You know you did it wrong when you have to put out a video explaining the differences between the new cars design versus the old. The G30 is a handsome car no doubt, it just looks stale at this point. I was really hoping for something fresh.
That's a weird way to judge failure. I think they did it because it's a big design change. If this isn't a refresh for you, you might need an eye exam buddy

http://954mm.com

IG: @954MM/@954M3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #71
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

People said the f10 looked stale when it came out. Yea right. Those are the idiots that want a bmw to look like a Honda with giant wings, vents and some neon under glow.

I always thought the f10 was perfection. Blending bmw classic looks with modern times. The g30 just takes that to the next level.

Both are incredible.
      01-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #72
Raheem
raheemdot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F40

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
People said the f10 looked stale when it came out. Yea right. Those are the idiots that want a bmw to look like a Honda with giant wings, vents and some neon under glow.

I always thought the f10 was perfection. Blending bmw classic looks with modern times. The g30 just takes that to the next level.

Both are incredible.
Totally agree with you. When the next 5 Series is out, so many people will herald the G30 design as one of the greats. Happens time and time again. I think people just need a bit of time adapting to the new design as well as seeing it in person. I don't know about you, but every BMW always looks so much better to me in person.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #73
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raheem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post

Both are incredible.
Totally agree with you. When the next 5 Series is out, so many people will herald the G30 design as one of the greats. Happens time and time again. I think people just need a bit of time adapting to the new design as well as seeing it in person. I don't know about you, but every BMW always looks so much better to me in person.
Agreed. I actually use that as a type of internal barometer. BMWs that look better in person then in pictures are usually the great and almost timeless designs.

Cars that are the opposite usually come out of Japanese and American brands (atleast old American not the current cars which are really well designed).
      01-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #74
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

F10 Still looks good, especially in M5 guise, but G30 is looking pretty sharp too! Hopefully it doesn't feel bloated behind the wheel
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #75
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

I see your point but the competition has moved to using electric gauges so naturally BMW has to make the switch too.
Appreciate 0