BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Used M550 or get a 2020?

01-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Used M550 or get a 2020?

Starting my search for my next DD. The M550 seems to check all the boxes. I've been watching the used market on a low mileage (less than 15k) well equipped car. Prices seem to be in the mid-low $60's and high upper $50's.

I know the 2020's got a big HP boost, but that's not a huge issue for me.

I would consider a lease on a new one and PendFed Payment Saver on the used one.

Any other big improvements for 2020 I should be aware of? I'm leaning towards the used market.

Any input?
      01-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Was in the same boat 2 months ago. Lease on the new will be less than financing used. Just depends on your needs. I felt like I was settling when getting used, because you'll never get the colors/options you really want. Ended up configuring my M550i exactly how I wanted and it is sitting at the port now. My payments are $980 per month on $86K car with 36/15K lease.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

2020 got better cooling and more power and eLSD. I think used 2018 m5 is the better choice if you are able to afford the 2020 m550i.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

I looked for months for a good used M550i in the colors and options I wanted. I ended up ordering a new 2020 that will arrive the dealer in the next few weeks.

After all the discounts, there wasn’t a huge difference between used and new.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Seems like a 2020 may be the way to go. Can't beat the bump in HP/TQ, plus Idirve 7 (lite). Are laser lights on the 2020 in the US?
      02-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
Thanks. Seems like a 2020 may be the way to go. Can't beat the bump in HP/TQ, plus Idirve 7 (lite). Are laser lights on the 2020 in the US?
No laser lights on US 2020 M550i's. Perhaps with the 2021's.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
iDrive 7 blows - especially the lite version (no remote start, cooling, etc.}. I had it for 5 days with my loaner car and I couldn't wait to turn it back in.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
iDrive 7 blows - especially the lite version (no remote start, cooling, etc.}. I had it for 5 days with my loaner car and I couldn't wait to turn it back in.
Please explain?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
Quote:
Please explain?
I suggest you go test drive a car that has it. They gave me a 2020 X5 loaner car which has the new display (which is also 2" larger than what's on the M550i).

The display is cluttered and seems disorganized. If you're used to iDrive 6, then there's a good chance you won't like it either. The instrument cluster is also full of clutter. Way too much information for the real estate. Being in IT, I usually love having the latest & greatest software. Not in this case. Personally I don't understand why they would put navigation inside of the instrument cluster. It looks much better on the display or your head-up display.

Oh, did I mention that it's full of bugs? Also note that you will not get the ability to remote start the vehicle or cool/heat it like you can on the other full versions on some of the other series.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer as this would be a real conflict for me too. Perhaps it wouldn't bother you as much as it has for many others on this forum. My '19 M550i is fast enough for me needs and I think iDrive 6 is much simpler to use which is key when you're driving. The new Personal Assistant is a step in the right direction, but BMW has a long way to go.
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      02-11-2020, 10:36 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please explain?
I suggest you go test drive a car that has it. They gave me a 2020 X5 loaner car which has the new display (which is also 2" larger than what's on the M550i).

The display is cluttered and seems disorganized. If you're used to iDrive 6, then there's a good chance you won't like it either. The instrument cluster is also full of clutter. Way too much information for the real estate. Being in IT, I usually love having the latest & greatest software. Not in this case. Personally I don't understand why they would put navigation inside of the instrument cluster. It looks much better on the display or your head-up display.

Oh, did I mention that it's full of bugs? Also note that you will not get the ability to remote start the vehicle or cool/heat it like you can on the other full versions on some of the other series.

Not trying to be a Debbie downer as this would be a real conflict for me too. Perhaps it wouldn't bother you as much as it has for many others on this forum. My '19 M550i is fast enough for me needs and I think iDrive 6 is much simpler to use which is key when you're driving. The new Personal Assistant is a step in the right direction, but BMW has a long way to go.
As BMW takes steps to integrate more smartphone functionality to iDrive, it becomes easier to find fault with BMWs implementation. IDrive 7 came with a lot of promises, but many (so far) haven't panned out. The BMW Assistant who isn't as smart as V1 of Google Assistant from 3+ years ago..... Remote software update which seems to be a day late and a dollar short..... Downloadable apps, which for the most part are curiously MIA..... Enterprise Email integration which is frustrating at best..... And that too many button taps are needed to accomplish the same thing that can be done in iDrive 6 easily.

And Live Cockpit Pro.....oh my, an LCD littered with some useful and some useless data. Important gauges that became less important than useless data. This thing desperately needs a way to deeply customize for drivers all the way thru gadget geeks. That customization is sorely missing.

BMW will have an impossible time trying to keep up with smartphones. Best bet for them is to keep it simple (more like an evolution of iDrive 6) and continue amazing Carplay and Android Auto (finally starting 7/20) integration. They should offer best in class wireless phone charging, a tray large enough to hold the latest phones, and work when those phone are in a case. And blow some A/C on the phone or add a fan, like my Anker and Samsung chargers offer. Not terribly complicated and customers will appreciate it.

I feel iDrive 7 is BMW responding to Merc and Audi. I've used both of the competitors new systems and IMO they stink. Gosh that new Audi MMI system with dual screens is not only horrible, it's slow and I feel a safety problem as you need to keep looking at the LCD. Audi feels the haptics address the need to look, but they're sorely mistaken.
      02-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Please explain?

As BMW takes steps to integrate more smartphone functionality to iDrive, it becomes easier to find fault with BMWs implementation. IDrive 7 came with a lot of promises, but many (so far) haven't panned out. The BMW Assistant who isn't as smart as V1 of Google Assistant from 3+ years ago..... Remote software update which seems to be a day late and a dollar short..... Downloadable apps, which for the most part are curiously MIA..... Enterprise Email integration which is frustrating at best..... And that too many button taps are needed to accomplish the same thing that can be done in iDrive 6 easily.

And Live Cockpit Pro.....oh my, an LCD littered with some useful and some useless data. Important gauges that became less important than useless data. This thing desperately needs a way to deeply customize for drivers all the way thru gadget geeks. That customization is sorely missing.

BMW will have an impossible time trying to keep up with smartphones. Best bet for them is to keep it simple (more like an evolution of iDrive 6) and continue amazing Carplay and Android Auto (finally starting 7/20) integration. They should offer best in class wireless phone charging, a tray large enough to hold the latest phones, and work when those phone are in a case. And blow some A/C on the phone or add a fan, like my Anker and Samsung chargers offer. Not terribly complicated and customers will appreciate it.

I feel iDrive 7 is BMW responding to Merc and Audi. I've used both of the competitors new systems and IMO they stink. Gosh that new Audi MMI system with dual screens is not only horrible, it's slow and I feel a safety problem as you need to keep looking at the LCD. Audi feels the haptics address the need to look, but they're sorely mistaken.
I agree. The Mercedes-Benz interface is just awful!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:

Realistically, they can't afford to turn over more and more functionality to CarPlay as the market is heavily moving toward deeper technical integration. If they put more and more of the heavy lifting on CarPlay and AA they risk losing competitive edge and that can cost them long term. Especially when compared to Tesla who is driving the cart in this area...

They just need to see the Techical aspect of their cars as needing the same level of quality and luxury that the rest of the car gets. They need to expand customization as you mentioned, but they also need to offer updates and new features. They also need to find ways to blend CarPlay and AA or BlueTooth connections seamlessly into the car experience.

Hopefully they get this stuff sorted out!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2020, 10:37 PM   #13
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

Realistically, they can't afford to turn over more and more functionality to CarPlay as the market is heavily moving toward deeper technical integration. If they put more and more of the heavy lifting on CarPlay and AA they risk losing competitive edge and that can cost them long term. Especially when compared to Tesla who is driving the cart in this area...

They just need to see the Techical aspect of their cars as needing the same level of quality and luxury that the rest of the car gets. They need to expand customization as you mentioned, but they also need to offer updates and new features. They also need to find ways to blend CarPlay and AA or BlueTooth connections seamlessly into the car experience.

Hopefully they get this stuff sorted out!
I'm not expecting bmw to turn over critical system functionality to Carplay or AA. If you dig into many of the iDrive 7 user frustrations, they surround the same things currently handled better by Carplay/AA.

Maybe if they let those go and just keep the core iDrive entertainment functions, then their engineers can spend more time on things like Live Cockpit customizations, getting reverse assist right, etc....

Tesla looks cool, but their UI lacks in many areas. The Model 3 needs self driving because trying to use that UI would otherwise cause an accident.
      02-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #14
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Yes I think that from an ergonomic point of view, the Tesla 3 is a disaster. Having to look away from straight ahead just to read your speed alone. Completely the wrong way to be doing this and sooner or later someone is goi GTI have an accident as they were not looking at the road but at that awful tablet stuck to the middle of the car.

We are seeing a bad trend of making displays look "cool" but I'm reality or not intuitive or safe to use whilst driving.

Classic good examples are volume knob for radio, you don't have to look away to adjust the volume.

I drive 7 which to be fair I have not used but looking at photos seems to be edging the way of being cool to look at but not as good as previous incarnations in terms of ergonomics.

That was a bit of a rant!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #15
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not expecting bmw to turn over critical system functionality to Carplay or AA. If you dig into many of the iDrive 7 user frustrations, they surround the same things currently handled better by Carplay/AA.

Maybe if they let those go and just keep the core iDrive entertainment functions, then their engineers can spend more time on things like Live Cockpit customizations, getting reverse assist right, etc....

Tesla looks cool, but their UI lacks in many areas. The Model 3 needs self driving because trying to use that UI would otherwise cause an accident.
It is very complex to find the right balance. For instance, arguably the most important data for cars going forward is map data. You can't have really good autonomous car improvements without deeply detailed and accurate map data. This is also made harder by having the data updates occur very slowly. BMW wants you to use their maps so their system can get more frequent updates to ensure they have detailed mapping data. Paring down to entertainment only would put them at a competitive disadvantage for the future.

It seems odd that they "rushed" iDrive 7 onto the G30 with an LCI coming only a year later, but the only rational reason I can come up with here is that they are pushing hard for a common platform across their entire lineup to cut development costs and allow them to start delivering better on this front. Hopefully they are able to as if they don't Tesla will start to creep up on them more and more (especially if they improve the fit and finish of their interiors).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #16
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I wonder what the OP did.

As for iDrive 6/7, my car has 6 (2019) and I've had some loaners with iDrive 7. When I first saw it, I hated it. Or to paraphrase the salesman in the movie Vacation, "if you think you hate it now, wait until you drive it."

Since then I had enough time in the car to figure out how to turn off all of the annoying things, like the constantly moving map in my instrument panel. However, it still sucks and I don't like it. I'm sure after a few months I'd get used to it, but these things make me wish for the old days.

As for integration, I'm old fashioned and when I'm in the car the most distracting thing I want is my music (which should be controlled by a volume knob) and I have no need to check emails and although having text messages on the screen is nice, it sure is distracting.

And my Note 9 (Samsung) will not fit in the charging tray. I blame Samsung as much as BMW, but it's kind of annoying that it has inductive charging and I can't use it. Ditto my M2.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #17
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've decided to get a 2020. I'll be leasing and the cost difference isn't worth skipping the extra HP. I'm looking at ordering with full leather. Got a dealer at 8.25% off MSRP before incentives.

I understand full leather is a 2-3 month wait. Which works for me.
      02-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:

It is very complex to find the right balance. For instance, arguably the most important data for cars going forward is map data. You can't have really good autonomous car improvements without deeply detailed and accurate map data. This is also made harder by having the data updates occur very slowly. BMW wants you to use their maps so their system can get more frequent updates to ensure they have detailed mapping data. Paring down to entertainment only would put them at a competitive disadvantage for the future.

It seems odd that they "rushed" iDrive 7 onto the G30 with an LCI coming only a year later, but the only rational reason I can come up with here is that they are pushing hard for a common platform across their entire lineup to cut development costs and allow them to start delivering better on this front. Hopefully they are able to as if they don't Tesla will start to creep up on them more and more (especially if they improve the fit and finish of their interiors).
iDrive 7 in MY20 G30 is meant to compete with Audi and Mercedes New systems. IDrive 6 continues to live in several models and likely will for a while longer.
      02-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #19
bMm5w
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
I've decided to get a 2020. I'll be leasing and the cost difference isn't worth skipping the extra HP. I'm looking at ordering with full leather. Got a dealer at 8.25% off MSRP before incentives.

I understand full leather is a 2-3 month wait. Which works for me.
Good job, got the same deal on mine and it is about 2-3 weeks out at this time.
Appreciate 0