BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Improving handling (chassis, suspension) on 540ix

04-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Improving handling (chassis, suspension) on 540ix

Hi guys,

I'm planning to improve handling and chasses rigidity on my G30 540ix. I already have the adaptive drive (anti-roll bars + DDC) from factory, but was thinking of more. Because of course I was . If anybody has any suggestion or even better concrete recommendations would be fantastic!

Key question: I've found several parts to strenghten the chassis from Hardrace - they have: adj. stabilizer link, engine bay brace, rear toe kit, front sway bar, rear subframe brace and rear sway bar. Which of these could I fit with Adaptive bar? Do I understand it correctly that I have the sway bars as part of it? I.e. anti-roll bars = front and rear sway bars?

For other things:
- Wheels: I already have lightweight forged
- Tires: Already have - Micheline Pilot Sport 4S
- Suspension: I was thinking MSS springs since KWs probably wont fit my adaptive drive?
- Anything else? - as in anything else not too crazy like removing seats and bolting massive bars instead

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by luke1990; 04-22-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:42 AM   #2
Norris83
CEO
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850I Gran Coupe Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm planning to improve handling and chasses rigidity on my G30 540ix. I already have the adaptive drive (anti-roll bars + DDC) from factory, but was thinking of more. Because of course I was . If anybody has any suggestion or even better concrete recommendations would be fantastic!

Key question: I've found several parts to strenghten the chassis from Hardrace - they have: adj. stabilizer link, engine bay brace, rear toe kit, front sway bar, rear subframe brace and rear sway bar. Which of these could I fit with Adaptive bar? Do I understand it correctly that I have the sway bars as part of it? I.e. anti-roll bars = front and rear sway bars?

For other things:
- Suspension: I was thinking MSS springs since KWs probably wont fit my adaptive drive?
- Anything else? - as in anything else not too crazy like removing seats and bolting massive bars instead

Thanks a ton!
Hello Luke, I was wondering if you ever ended up getting any of the parts from Hardrace Europe?
2018 M550I Xdrive Alpine White on Cognac Leather, Premium Enhanced Package, Drivers Assitance Plus, Remote Parking/display key, massage seats, 21 wheels style 629 Black Chrome. M performance brakes in blue, M performance carbon fibre diffuser, m performance side skirt extensions, m performance front lip. 45% tint, roof wrapped in gloss black.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

I think you can go KW V3 with EDC (electronic damper control) delete. I would email them, they are pretty good and responsive about answering questions. I love my V3 and think they are lightyears better than the stock M Sport dampers.

Also, I have purchased M5 Competition front/rear suspension components and will be doing the DIY install in the next coming weeks. I will let you know what fits and what doesn't and how it performs compared to stock 540i xDrive M Sport suspension (note I don't have the active sway bars or EDC on mine). It wasn't super cheap at ~$2.5k considering I purchased every single suspension component from the M5 Competition. But, like you, I am trying to improve the handling to the best I can get it to and after driving an M5 Competition pretty aggressively I can say that it should be a great upgrade!
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      02-07-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
MrBeranek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M5 (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Hi guys,

For other things:

Thanks a ton!
Hi, what forged wheels have you chosen? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:19 PM   #5
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
I think you can go KW V3 with EDC (electronic damper control) delete. I would email them, they are pretty good and responsive about answering questions. I love my V3 and think they are lightyears better than the stock M Sport dampers.

Also, I have purchased M5 Competition front/rear suspension components and will be doing the DIY install in the next coming weeks. I will let you know what fits and what doesn't and how it performs compared to stock 540i xDrive M Sport suspension (note I don't have the active sway bars or EDC on mine). It wasn't super cheap at ~$2.5k considering I purchased every single suspension component from the M5 Competition. But, like you, I am trying to improve the handling to the best I can get it to and after driving an M5 Competition pretty aggressively I can say that it should be a great upgrade!
Let us know! I was looking at the f90 strut brace too, as i just picked a 2017 m550i
Edc damper options seem non existent (checked kw and bilstein)
      03-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #6
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Let us know! I was looking at the f90 strut brace too, as i just picked a 2017 m550i
Edc damper options seem non existent (checked kw and bilstein)
Got everything installed a month ago and have been driving it since. I can definitely say the handling improvements are night and day! If you've ever driven a F90 M5, you know that the engineers over in Munich did some black magic to get a 2+ ton car to handle like it does. The weight is definitely there, but it hides it so well. The car handles like its on rails now with almost zero body roll. It's definitely less comfortable/more stiff, but it comes with the territory. Overall, it's 100% worth it!

For those who are interested in retrofitting the F90 M5 suspension, most of it is direct fit/plug and play. Everything on the front is plug and play (although you will have to slightly lengthen the tie rod end links by an inch or so due to the F90 tie rod mounting point being further out). The rear is more complicated. The sway bar and end links are plug and play. The camber link is too. However, the toe arm is not due to it being shorter than the OEM one. I ended up buying a Hardrace one instead.
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      03-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Interesting thanks for sharing

Did you put springs and/or dampers from f90?
I was surprised when you said stiffer but if you changed springs that would explain
      03-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

What settings are you guys using on your KWs as I find mine to be a bit bouncy . I’m trying to find comfortable settings as is my DD and i dont track my car.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Interesting thanks for sharing

Did you put springs and/or dampers from f90?
I was surprised when you said stiffer but if you changed springs that would explain
I have KW V3, so front/rear spring rates are definitely stiffer than standard M Sport springs. However, F90 has much stiffer front/rear anti-roll bars and also stiffer rubber bushings, so that adds to the stiffness on the front and rear axles. I wouldn't say it's too stiff or anything, but the car definitely rides much more firm and you can feel the road a lot more vs running KW V3 with G30 suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marior20 View Post
What settings are you guys using on your KWs as I find mine to be a bit bouncy . I’m trying to find comfortable settings as is my DD and i dont track my car.

Thanks !
Right now, I have my V3 set to the factory default settings from KW plus one click (stiffen) on both rebound and compression. It seems to work for me. It is definitely somewhat bouncy on rough pavement, but it's nothing crazy in my mind. However, I do prefer a harsher and more sporty/connected ride. I think if you find yours too bouncy, I would do factory default settings minus one or two clicks (slacken) on both rebound and compression and see how that works.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      03-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #10
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Quote:
I have KW V3, so front/rear spring rates are definitely stiffer than standard M Sport springs. However, F90 has much stiffer front/rear anti-roll bars and also stiffer rubber bushings, so that adds to the stiffness on the front and rear axles. I wouldn't say it's too stiff or anything, but the car definitely rides much more firm and you can feel the road a lot more vs running KW V3 with G30 suspension.

Right now, I have my V3 set to the factory default settings from KW plus one click (stiffen) on both rebound and compression. It seems to work for me. It is definitely somewhat bouncy on rough pavement, but it's nothing crazy in my mind. However, I do prefer a harsher and more sporty/connected ride. I think if you find yours too bouncy, I would do factory default settings minus one or two clicks (slacken) on both rebound and compression and see how that works.

Thank you for your input ! Will give that a shot
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Hi all

I've just fitted the f90 m5 strut bar to my m550i.
Feeling is slight but definite improvement in stiffness after a couple of km round the blocks.

Setup was made a bit difficult due to the need to remove wiper arms to remove the underlying trim and gain access to the 4 bolts on the firewall, i got a wiper removal tool from amazon for this.

Next will be the rear cross link and connecting parts from the m5/m8.

I think i'll throw in dinan monoball on front thrust arms and i will be good
      05-23-2021, 12:47 PM   #12
Manticore79
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i x-drive

Hey. New to the forum and have joined just to ask you this..😁

Can you share with us exactly what you purchased (part numbers too please) and put on the car to transform the handling?

Thanks.
Quote:
Got everything installed a month ago and have been driving it since. I can definitely say the handling improvements are night and day! If you've ever driven a F90 M5, you know that the engineers over in Munich did some black magic to get a 2+ ton car to handle like it does. The weight is definitely there, but it hides it so well. The car handles like its on rails now with almost zero body roll. It's definitely less comfortable/more stiff, but it comes with the territory. Overall, it's 100% worth it!

For those who are interested in retrofitting the F90 M5 suspension, most of it is direct fit/plug and play. Everything on the front is plug and play (although you will have to slightly lengthen the tie rod end links by an inch or so due to the F90 tie rod mounting point being further out). The rear is more complicated. The sway bar and end links are plug and play. The camber link is too. However, the toe arm is not due to it being shorter than the OEM one. I ended up buying a Hardrace one instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #13
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore79 View Post
Hey. New to the forum and have joined just to ask you this..😁

Can you share with us exactly what you purchased (part numbers too please) and put on the car to transform the handling?

Thanks.
Yes, I will do a full write up in the coming weeks when I get the chance with description for parts, caveats and my thoughts. I'll also do a short DIY guide. But, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the install, so it'll be text only.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      06-07-2021, 03:51 AM   #14
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Yes, I will do a full write up in the coming weeks when I get the chance with description for parts, caveats and my thoughts. I'll also do a short DIY guide. But, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures during the install, so it'll be text only.
I am excited to see this!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
BMWAlex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:

I was wondering... is it possible to fit the M5 Sway Bars on an M550i with Active Sway Bars and DDC?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep
Drives: M550i

@Frozen how did the M5 suspension upgrades go?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:34 AM   #17
BMW3DK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 / 540 G30

hi,
any news on this? :-)

thx

Quote:
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      05-08-2022, 07:48 AM   #18
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep

I have since fitted F90 roll bars using a combo of mounting brackets and drop links from the M5 and M550i.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      05-09-2022, 01:48 AM   #19
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_8 View Post
I have since fitted F90 roll bars using a combo of mounting brackets and drop links from the M5 and M550i.
How do you like the new setup? I read the F90 and G30 endlinks are the same, is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #20
Boosted_8
Captain
Rep

I honestly can't remember if it was the front or rear that were the same. Best to check real OEM website for the part numbers for the base M5. Comp has different rolls bars again that had all different part numbers. Or do what I did and just get everything from the wrecked M5.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      11-13-2022, 12:08 AM   #21
540iSUP
Captain
Rep

Any updates to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 12:58 AM   #22
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys! My apologies, I completely forgot about this.

I should have some downtime during the upcoming holidays and hopefully can finally get the write up I promised.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP703.00
xx.0023.00