BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding coding help on 2021 540i Xdrive- want to remember last transmission setting

12-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
coding help on 2021 540i Xdrive- want to remember last transmission setting

I have a 540i Xdrive and hate the stop/start that is a default that can't be shut off in comfort mode.
To avoid this, we are driving the car in Sport mode, to bypass the dumb start/stop function. The only problem is that every time we start the car, it defaults to Comfort mode, so we have to push the Sport button with each start-up.
Is it possible to code it so it remembers the last selection when restarting?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I have a 540i Xdrive and hate the stop/start that is a default that can't be shut off in comfort mode.
To avoid this, we are driving the car in Sport mode, to bypass the dumb start/stop function. The only problem is that every time we start the car, it defaults to Comfort mode, so we have to push the Sport button with each start-up.
Yes using bimmercode, you can code it to start in sport individual, and set sport individual to confort, sport or sport plus and you are good
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham5 View Post
Yes using bimmercode, you can code it to start in sport individual, and set sport individual to confort, sport or sport plus and you are good
That’s what I was hoping for!
Do you remember how to do it off hand?
Which menu it is? Or did I have to do long coding on it?
Can you please walk me through it? I’m a novice using BimmerCode and don’t want to mess anything up. Just to make sure...this is a 2021 540 with the mild hybrid (I know that the ASS system is different than others)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #4
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That’s what I was hoping for!
Do you remember how to do it off hand?
Which menu it is? Or did I have to do long coding on it?
Can you please walk me through it? I’m a novice using BimmerCode and don’t want to mess anything up. Just to make sure...this is a 2021 540 with the mild hybrid (I know that the ASS system is different than others)
Default driving mode
Values:
ADAPTIVE
COMFORT
ECO PRO
ECO PRO INDIVIDUAL
SPORT
SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Requirements:
“Body Domain Controller” BDC control unit

you can select it under Body Domain Controller when connect to BimmerCode. it have a drop list and you just have to choose which driving mode you want when start up. Watch some youtube video about using bimemrcode and you can do it with confident.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #5
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham5 View Post
Default driving mode
Values:
ADAPTIVE
COMFORT
ECO PRO
ECO PRO INDIVIDUAL
SPORT
SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Requirements:
“Body Domain Controller” BDC control unit

you can select it under Body Domain Controller when connect to BimmerCode. it have a drop list and you just have to choose which driving mode you want when start up. Watch some youtube video about using bimemrcode and you can do it with confident.
Thanks for the info!
I tried to do it just now. I was able to code a few other things, but when I tried to go into the "Body Domain Controller", I got an error message:
"This control unit is not accessible with the used OBD adapter. For further information please visit our web site"
I am using the VeePeak BLE+ adapter. Any ideas?
Update: Now that I look at the instructions online, I see that my adapter doesn't say G series. I have used it on my F series car, and assumed that it would work for all cars. I guess I have to buy a new adapter...oh well

Last edited by Up4speed; 12-29-2020 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #6
ppham5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
I tried to do it just now. I was able to code a few other things, but when I tried to go into the "Body Domain Controller", I got an error message:
"This control unit is not accessible with the used OBD adapter. For further information please visit our web site"
Update: Now that I look at the instructions online, I see that my adapter doesn't say G series. I have used it on my F series car, and assumed that it would work for all cars. I guess I have to buy a new adapter...oh well
I'm using enet cable and MHD Black. They are way faster than VeePeak. can code all things and it read and write code in seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 02:08 AM   #7
robinio
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i Carbon Black

Quote:
FYI: it is also possible to code Auto Start/Stop button to remember last setting, so you don’t have to use Sport mode at start.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #8
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinio View Post
FYI: it is also possible to code Auto Start/Stop button to remember last setting, so you don’t have to use Sport mode at start.
It’s not possible on a 2021 540i with the mild hybrid system. There is not even a button for the start/stop, it’s missing!
That’s why I set it to Sport Individual each time because that disables the start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
That is correct. Some of the OBD adapters will not give you the full range of coding options on G series models. I have the OBDLink MX+ and that one works for all coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #10
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrider01 View Post
That is correct. Some of the OBD adapters will not give you the full range of coding options on G series models. I have the OBDLink MX+ and that one works for all coding.
Thanks!
I ordered the OBDLink CX. It is listed in the BimmerCode instructions that it works fir the G series cars. I am getting it on the 7th or 8th. I will update with the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 06:38 AM   #11
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
It’s not possible on a 2021 540i with the mild hybrid system. There is not even a button for the start/stop, it’s missing!
That’s why I set it to Sport Individual each time because that disables the start/stop.
I read somewhere else that even though the button is no longer there, you can still code the option to disable start/stop completely (i.e. not remember last setting, just set it to off), but I don't have a 2021 to verify this, just something I'm sure I read somewhere
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I read somewhere else that even though the button is no longer there, you can still code the option to disable start/stop completely (i.e. not remember last setting, just set it to off), but I don't have a 2021 to verify this, just something I'm sure I read somewhere
I'll look into it, but I think everything I read says that it can't be turned off due to the mild hybrid, unless in Sport mode. But of course I'm still learning, so I won't be sure until I code it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #13
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks!
I ordered the OBDLink CX. It is listed in the BimmerCode instructions that it works fir the G series cars. I am getting it on the 7th or 8th. I will update with the results.
Update:
I just got the OBDLink CX, and it worked perfectly!
I coded the Driving mode default to be "Sport Individual". Now when I start the car, it's in Sport Individual, and I don't have to push any buttons to avoid having the ASS system kick in. It is essentially my "comfort" mode less the ASS system since I set all the parameters to comfort. If I want Sport or Sport PLus, I just push the button as always. Perfect solution!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I'll look into it, but I think everything I read says that it can't be turned off due to the mild hybrid, unless in Sport mode. But of course I'm still learning, so I won't be sure until I code it.
I can code it off via E-Sys.
I've done it on my 2021 G05 X5 and a few customers with 2021 G05 X5 40i too.

Downside, even Eco-Pro doesn't have ASS anymore.
But who uses Eco-Pro anyway.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 12:25 AM   #15
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

To be honest, I like the solution that I have found because it maintains the best of both worlds.
I now have a Sport+ mode, a Sport Mode, a Comfort mode without ASS (Sport Individual settings), a Comfort Mode with ASS, and all the ECO modes (which will definitely never be used, LOL).
It defaults to Sport Individual (essentially Comfort mode without ASS) the most commonly used mode by my wife. So it's very convenient, and no functionality is lost.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12805.00
      01-09-2021, 08:41 AM   #16
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post

To be honest, I like the solution that I have found because it maintains the best of both worlds.
I now have a Sport+ mode, a Sport Mode, a Comfort mode without ASS (Sport Individual settings), a Comfort Mode with ASS, and all the ECO modes (which will definitely never be used, LOL).
It defaults to Sport Individual (essentially Comfort mode without ASS) the most commonly used mode by my wife. So it's very convenient, and no functionality is lost.
Glad that worked out for you.

Guys in G05 just wants it off all the time.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Up4speed170.00