BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Split folding seats? Xdrive or not?

02-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
deleted_user
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Split folding seats? Xdrive or not?

I am aiming to get into a G30 soon and one of the things that annoyed me about the F30 was not having folding seats. I tried to search for it but think this also isn’t easily retrofitted in the G30, am I correct? Can you potentially remove the backseat easily and does it have a gap or is there still framework behind it?

I testdrove a G30 non-xdrive and found the car had quite a bit of wheelspin even when I wasn’t trying. Is xdrive a ‘must’ on these or should I just leave my M-feet at home?

Any other tips/recommendations? Been looking at a 530e/530d/540i. I don’t care about fuel as I don’t do a lot of mileage, therefore believe the 530e will be the cheapest to run as I can commute on the battery and charge at work.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_F30 View Post
I am aiming to get into a G30 soon and one of the things that annoyed me about the F30 was not having folding seats. I tried to search for it but think this also isn’t easily retrofitted in the G30, am I correct? Can you potentially remove the backseat easily and does it have a gap or is there still framework behind it?

I testdrove a G30 non-xdrive and found the car had quite a bit of wheelspin even when I wasn’t trying. Is xdrive a ‘must’ on these or should I just leave my M-feet at home?

Any other tips/recommendations? Been looking at a 530e/530d/540i. I don’t care about fuel as I don’t do a lot of mileage, therefore believe the 530e will be the cheapest to run as I can commute on the battery and charge at work.
Split folding seats are an option and due to the smaller boot on a 530e I would have thought a lot of them would have the option. I have no idea regards retrofitting.
Can you get a wall charger - the Government still contributes £ 500 to the cost - I charge mine up each time it’s used and over 2,200 miles of mostly local driving I have averaged 70mpg (plus cost of the electric !)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
Not sure about your locale, but, in the US, the split seats can only be "split" from the trunk/boot. Retrofitting would seem to include the need to install, cable, and connect these release handles (one is mounted on each side). Sorry I can't help you more.
Name:  IMG_0346.jpg
Views: 1773
Size:  799.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
deleted_user
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Split folding seats are an option and due to the smaller boot on a 530e I would have thought a lot of them would have the option. I have no idea regards retrofitting.
Can you get a wall charger - the Government still contributes £ 500 to the cost - I charge mine up each time it’s used and over 2,200 miles of mostly local driving I have averaged 70mpg (plus cost of the electric !)
Thanks didn’t know about gov contribution on this. When charging it do you know roughly what it costs to do so? Considering battery size I’d say once £1-2 for 20 miles?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #5
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Thanks didn’t know about gov contribution on this. When charging it do you know roughly what it costs to do so? Considering battery size I’d say once £1-2 for 20 miles?
My tariff is 15p / kWH - battery is 12 kWH but usable is 10kWH so £ 1.50. However, I think you can only use a max of 70% so probably nearer £1.00 or 5p / mile in winter. Compared to about 15p / mile on petrol.

A good site for real world info is here -
https://ev-database.uk/car/1213/BMW-530e-Saloon

Details of the grant for wall chargers - https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ssion-vehicles
Appreciate 0