BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Audiotech Fisher Matchup 10 vs Bimmertech Lightwave

03-28-2024, 03:40 AM   #1
nathanisawizard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i xDrive, HK Sound

Question Audiotech Fisher Matchup 10 vs Bimmertech Lightwave

Good morning!

I've just got my first BMW ever, 2017 540i xDrive with the Harmon Kardon sound option. Needless to say I absolutely love the car!!!

But.... the HK sound leaves so much to be desired compared to Lexus Mark Levinson in my previous car. That was a 2008 LS 460 for comparison.

There's definitely power in the system but is lacking in overall clarity. So after much research I've found two possible amp replacements, the Audiotech Fischer Match Up 10DSP and the Bimmertech Lightwave. $1400 and $2,000 respectively.

Anyone have experience with either? Or both? I've heard that the Match Up 10DSP requires a ton of programming to get timing/EQ settings sounding good. The Bimmertech lightwave claims to sound great right out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 12:16 PM   #2
SenmaS
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Nathan

The UP10 and Lightwave are from different leagues. Assuming your G30 is still on iDrive 6 and not iDrive 7 - the Lightwave is head over heels a better solution as it takes the optic MOST audio signal in directly. To be able to use the UP10 - you would need to add a MOST converter which will also cost you a hefty penny and add even more setup steps. In that regard - the Lightwave has an unfair advantage.

If you do have iDrive 7 - the Lightwave will not be compatible with your car at all as it can only take in optic and iDrive 7 does not have it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:20 PM   #3
KmanM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

https://mobridge.us/product/mobridge...audi-mercedes/
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 08:08 AM   #4
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

I have 2018 540i originally only with the cheapest stereo - not even hifi, no tweeters, etc. Last year I upgraded the sound with new set of Focal speakers (added tweeters + central channel) and Match up8 DSP amp. Although there is "MOST" logo on my HU, the amp uses analogue inputs. It was a pro install and yes, it took a professional about an hour to setup the DSP - but the result is well worth it. Now, the sound has everything apart the deepest basses (there is no external subwoofer in car, only the underseat woofers). On the other hand, the amp still has one out channel free for adding a subwoofer if need be. When playing CDs or FLAC files, there is great clarity, power as well as spaciousness in the sound. I can not compare with systems using MOST, but I can certainly recommend my system.
Appreciate 0