BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Heat steering wheel

04-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Marior20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550

Heat steering wheel

Has anyone retrofitted a G30 heated steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

It is very easy. Just need to buy steering wheel with heating option and code it. PM me if you need any help.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
Shatter
Mr. Nobody
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
It is very easy. Just need to buy steering wheel with heating option and code it. PM me if you need any help.
Are you sure? Taking a look into the steering wheel switch cluster part numbers they reveal difference if you have or don't have heated wheel option from factory. Also by looking images based on the both part number versions the one without heating does seem to be missing pins from the plug housing the steering wheel module is plugged in if you have heating.

Just my cents. I've been researching on retrofitting heated wheel on my G30, but have came to the conclusion that it also needs new switch cluster that supports heating, along with the new steering wheel.

E: Dug into it a little deeper and it seems if you have Driving Assistant or Driving Assistant Plus from factory you should be golden on retrofitting heated wheel afterwards, otherwise you need also a new switch cluster.
Switch cluster provides power cables to the steering wheel module which in turn drives heating, vibration and SPORT button. Therefore if you have assistant package then you have the vibration function already installed and retrofitting heated wheel is simple, if you have base model like me without driving assistant then your wheel does not have steering wheel module and also have the "downgraded" switch cluster which s*cks big time in light of retrofitting.
Retrofits: None

Last edited by Shatter; 04-18-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

You are not correct. If you buy a steering wheel that uses a heat button on the wheel itself, a module inside the wheel (tucked on the right side of the wheel) comes with support of the sterring wheel. BDC module supports it itself.

If you want to add shifters you keed to run a CAN signal wire from Steering cluster to BDC and in some rare case a CAN_H and CAN_L (PIN 35&36 on BDC) wire that runs from cluster to BDC needs to be run, but I havent yet seen a car where this wire was missing from installation. Could be for some pther markets.

The different part number does not indicate it does not support it, you allways have to check rhe wireing scheme. Part can be different due to on some models the heating swich is on the steering column along with el. Adjustment switch. (In that case if you retrofit and have both heating buttons on the column and on the wheel itself the only one that will work is the column one.
Appreciate 1
Shatter23.50
      09-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
shabadar123
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw g31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
Are you sure? Taking a look into the steering wheel switch cluster part numbers they reveal difference if you have or don't have heated wheel option from factory. Also by looking images based on the both part number versions the one without heating does seem to be missing pins from the plug housing the steering wheel module is plugged in if you have heating.

Just my cents. I've been researching on retrofitting heated wheel on my G30, but have came to the conclusion that it also needs new switch cluster that supports heating, along with the new steering wheel.

E: Dug into it a little deeper and it seems if you have Driving Assistant or Driving Assistant Plus from factory you should be golden on retrofitting heated wheel afterwards, otherwise you need also a new switch cluster.
Switch cluster provides power cables to the steering wheel module which in turn drives heating, vibration and SPORT button. Therefore if you have assistant package then you have the vibration function already installed and retrofitting heated wheel is simple, if you have base model like me without driving assistant then your wheel does not have steering wheel module and also have the "downgraded" switch cluster which s*cks big time in light of retrofitting.
I can confirm you cannot simply just buy a new wheel unless your switch cluster has the right pins in it. Mine did not have the correct pins in it (I do not have advanced driver assistance, lane guidance, or heated steering). I have bought a new switch cluster, and am still struggling to get it to work! Have had it coded, but might also need a fuse installing...trying to figure it out. If anyone has had any luck doing this retrofit, would appreciate the help!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadar123 View Post
I can confirm you cannot simply just buy a new wheel unless your switch cluster has the right pins in it. Mine did not have the correct pins in it (I do not have advanced driver assistance, lane guidance, or heated steering). I have bought a new switch cluster, and am still struggling to get it to work! Have had it coded, but might also need a fuse installing...trying to figure it out. If anyone has had any luck doing this retrofit, would appreciate the help!!
Did you ever get this to work? i have a G01 and a heated steering wheel from ebay that I am looking to get working. I have no driver assistance at all. Wondering if I need the cluster along with coding
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
hogzy
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2019 520d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_CG View Post
Did you ever get this to work? i have a G01 and a heated steering wheel from ebay that I am looking to get working. I have no driver assistance at all. Wondering if I need the cluster along with coding
Also wondering this myself!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 05:14 AM   #8
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I have the heated wheel and hardly use it. Guys in my opinion it’s not worth the hassle or expense.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Hi all. I just registered and this is my first "required" post needed so my account can be upgraded and I can participate more completely. Since I don't see the typical introduction thread, I'll use this one. I've used the heated wheel a couple of times. Nice feature, but would I spend $$ to change the wheel over for it? Probably not.

Thanks for letting me interrupt.
Appreciate 1
NGT25599.50
      01-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
rocinante
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 G31 530dX

For heated steering wheel, there is a requirement for the clockspring on the SZL. I had no driving assistance, so I had to buy one. I checked and saw that my clockspring was missing 2 pins and one of the pin was for heated steering wheel. For ones with Driving Assistance package, this pin should be there already. If you are not sure, check if your clock spring has pin number 9 on it. There are 2 connectors coming into the SZL, you will need to look at the one that does not has a clip to keep in place.

Next, you will need to make the connection. You will have two option
1. Figure out where the connector X434 connector is. It is somewhere near to the BDC ecu, but I am not sure. The reason is that the wiring from the steering wheel to this connector is in place. But the connection wire from this connector to the Fuse box Z44 F57 is not in place. So if you find the connector then make the connection

2. The other option is to make the connection from the Fuse box F57, directly to the pin in the steering wheel.

I couldn't find the connector so I bought a Fuse pin and a wire, and connected from the fuse. I split the connection that is coming from the X434 connector and connected the other end of the wire to this one. Since I didnt find the connector, and anyway there will be no connection coming in, I did it like this

Then its just a matter of adding a 10A fuse to F57 and voila, you will have heating. Very important, you will need Heated steering wheel with button

Let me know if you need any help
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:39 PM   #11
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Hi all. I just registered and this is my first "required" post needed so my account can be upgraded and I can participate more completely. Since I don't see the typical introduction thread, I'll use this one. I've used the heated wheel a couple of times. Nice feature, but would I spend $$ to change the wheel over for it? Probably not.

Agreed. I’d pay $200 for it up front, but wouldn’t pay to retrofit it. If your heat works and the seats are heated, you’re good to go, in my experience. Not saying it’s not a nice luxury to have, just wouldn’t pay to retrofit it.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #12
aerof16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Whether or not it’s worth it is subjective.

I used to live in a place where we hit -65*F (with wind chill) the last Winter I was there. My drive to work was 30 minutes I I kept the steering wheel heat on the entire time (a different vehicle). And it made a significant difference. The wheel heats up faster than almost anything, since it’s not subject to the ambient temp (like the heater in the car is…the colder the ambient temp, the longer it takes the car to get warm).

Now I live in a place where it’s in the low to mid 30*F most of the Winter and I turn off the steering wheel and seat heat (in my other cars) within about 2 minutes.

Last edited by aerof16; 01-06-2023 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
NGT25599.50
      01-06-2023, 08:42 AM   #13
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That’s a good point. Makes me wonder why someone wouldn’t just spec the car with the heated wheel. It’s $200. Whether a dealer or a buyer, seems crazy not to include that option.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:42 AM   #14
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:

I'm in the exact situation as you. Would love to have. But..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #15
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Never really thought it would be used much, but would be nice to have.
It comes on when pre conditioning the car (outside temp dependant) and have to admit, it is getting and liked way more than i thought it would.
Would prefer not to be without it now, but jeez, that does look a faff to fit for a retro.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 10:19 AM   #16
NVRfollo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
That’s a good point. Makes me wonder why someone wouldn’t just spec the car with the heated wheel. It’s $200. Whether a dealer or a buyer, seems crazy not to include that option.
It should just be a standard configuration and not even an option on a luxury vehicle. At a minimum, if it has AWD, include the heated steering wheel as part of that configuration
Appreciate 1
NGT25599.50
      01-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #17
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
My post in this thread was from two years ago! Let me give you my perspective today. The M550i I bought that prompted me to join this forum back when I posted that first post was rarely driven in cold weather in the first year due to my working from home during the worst parts of the pandemic. After returning to the daily commute, it was a nice luxury to have that heated wheel on cold mornings. I've since sold the M550i and now drive a 2023 GMC Denali truck that has pretty much all the tech and luxury that the M550i had. The new truck has a setting to automatically turn on the heated wheel and driver's seat heater based on the temperature outside when the truck is started. I have to say, I have come to like it. I still don't think I'd spend the money, especially BMW money, to retrofit the feature on a car that wasn't built with it originally. Wait until BMW makes that heated wheel a subscription service.

Last edited by dscabra; 01-07-2023 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
NGT25599.50
      01-07-2023, 11:06 AM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
My post in this thread was from two years ago! Let me give you my perspective today. The M550i I bout that prompted me to join this forum back when I posted that first post was rarely driven in cold weather in the first year due to my working from home during the worst parts of the pandemic. After returning to the daily commute, it was a nice luxury to have that heated wheel on cold mornings. I've since sold the M550i and now drive a 2023 GMC Denali truck that has pretty much all the tech and luxury that the M550i had. The new truck has a setting to automatically turn on the heated wheel and driver's seat heater based on the temperature outside when the truck is started. I have to say, I have come to like it. I still don't think I'd spend the money, especially BMW money, to retrofit the feature on a car that wasn't built with it originally. Wait until BMW makes that heated wheel a subscription service.
I agree. The automatic setting to turn on Heated Steering Wheel, Heated, and/or Ventilated Seats based on temperature is very nice. I use that on my G30 for sure.

I also wouldn’t retrofit the heated wheel, but I also have a PHEV where the heated wheel is usually redundant as I can preheat the car and it isn’t cold or hot once I get in.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #19
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRfollo View Post
It should just be a standard configuration and not even an option on a luxury vehicle. At a minimum, if it has AWD, include the heated steering wheel as part of that configuration
Yeah it’s silly to me that it’s a $200 option. That’s so minuscule relative to the price, it should just be included. At least in Europe and N America.

Appreciate 0