BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Powerlifting and Crossfit: Best Lifts

02-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #177
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspireSiR View Post
Deadlift: 255 lb
Back Squat: 255 lb
Front Squat: 225 lb
Bench: 135 lb
Squat Clean: 185 lb
Power Clean: 185 lb
Clean and Jerk: 185 lb
Power Snatch: 105 lb
Snatch: 105 lb

Current Body Weight: 170 lb Height 5'10"

I can't believe I'm posting this. There should be a way to mask my username lol...Anyways, never lifted a day in my life until I started crossfit 2 years ago. Played basketball competitively until I was a senior in high school. Intramurals in college. Park/Rec until I was 26. Then got married, had kids and it's been downhill from there until I found crossfit at 36. Now 38 and those are my PR's lol.

Does anyone think I can go up from those numbers above? I have a feeling being in my late 30's the testosterone levels are starting to drop.
I think you will be surprised at how you will progress. Try to make slow and steady increases. There are guys in their late 50’/60’s at my box hitting PR’s all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #178
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Think those numbers are bit optimistic
Agreed, I think those numbers are a bit high for someone of his age and size. It would take awhile to get there with a lot of time and proper programming for numbers like that in Dead Squat Bench. And he does CF and they don’t emphasize those lifts. You would have to put in extra time on your own to make it happen. Especially since so much time is put towards the Oly lifts which are very technical and require proper mechanics. I will say CF has been slowly moving away from them, mainly because of the injury rate for the normal Crossfitter. But they are fun to do and watch when done correctly! Most importantly don’t get caught up chasing numbers....it can do more harm then good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #179
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Hit a PR on my weakest lift this morning, 3RM strict press at 145
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #180
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Which pressing lift
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #181
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Which pressing lift
Strict press, no legs.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #182
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Standing barbell shoulder press? Doesn't narrow it down much lots of press moves you can be strict about.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:09 PM   #183
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Standing barbell shoulder press? Doesn't narrow it down much lots of press moves you can be strict about.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #184
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

What's the advantage over just doing a seated press , takes legs out. I've done both standing just tends to create more back arch and can cheat as failing for more reps.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #185
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's the advantage over just doing a seated press , takes legs out. I've done both standing just tends to create more back arch and can cheat as failing for more reps.
Seated takes a lot of the core aspect out of the lift. The standing barbell press in CrossFit and strength and conditioning is the true test of overhead pressing strength. Strength coaches like Mark Rippetoe think it’s just as important as the squat/bench/Deadlift.

Plus in CrossFit it’s all about doing exercises that will translate to others. Standing pressing strength leads to better push pressing, push-jerks, split jerks, hand stand push ups, etc.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-06-2018, 01:47 AM   #186
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPump View Post
Seated takes a lot of the core aspect out of the lift. The standing barbell press in CrossFit and strength and conditioning is the true test of overhead pressing strength. Strength coaches like Mark Rippetoe think it’s just as important as the squat/bench/Deadlift.

Plus in CrossFit it’s all about doing exercises that will translate to others. Standing pressing strength leads to better push pressing, push-jerks, split jerks, hand stand push ups, etc.
He is correct. Crossfit uses the OH strict press as part of the “Crossfit Total” combined with Squats n DLs. Any standing movement overhead engages the core thus greatly increasing core strength. Which translates to many other movements. If you want a strong core start doing OH movements not seated. My best numbers hit come when my core is at its strongest...period!

The only down side is CF uses ALOT of shoulder pressing type movements and other shoulder exercises in consecutive workouts which can wear down shoulder joints quicker then normal. It is very easy to develop shoulder and elbow type injuries if you are not careful.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #187
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Quote:
Hit a PR on my weakest lift this morning, 3RM strict press at 145
Nice man!!

It seems to be one of the weaker lifts for most people. I hit 205# strict for 2 raw a few days ago...still cutting though, so I'm sure I could hit 225#+ raw if I had enough calories in my system

Personally, strict OHP is all about technique / how explosive you can be. What's helped me tremendously is keeping tight (closer grip, narrow stance, activating your core, and pushing through your balls : )...deep breath in, engage your core, activate your posterior chain, barbell to your chest, and explode up

Will try to get vid next time to show what my technique is like...

Edit: also, Mark Rippetoe's the GOAT. I think he's said Strict OHP is more important than bench, and I couldn't agree more...
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #188
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
He is correct. Crossfit uses the OH strict press as part of the “Crossfit Total” combined with Squats n DLs. Any standing movement overhead engages the core thus greatly increasing core strength. Which translates to many other movements. If you want a strong core start doing OH movements not seated. My best numbers hit come when my core is at its strongest...period!

The only down side is CF uses ALOT of shoulder pressing type movements and other shoulder exercises in consecutive workouts which can wear down shoulder joints quicker then normal. It is very easy to develop shoulder and elbow type injuries if you are not careful.
Yeah no good I've been dealing with shoulder for long ass time. Don't wanna aggravate it. I can do a lot of the moves but putting a crossfit workout in would just mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #189
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Did a strict press just for shits with 135, pretty easy. Guessing 175-185 probably doable.
Appreciate 2
smoosh2211.50
      02-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #190
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Did a strict press just for shits with 135, pretty easy. Guessing 175-185 probably doable.
hah, going up in strict press by even 10# feels like a huge accomplishment...

Try out 175-185, let us know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #191
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Sure, you may be right but 135 felt like no prob. Shoulder aches today also after chest yest.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #192
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

One tip that worked surprisingly well was Paul Carter's suggestion of using a thumbless grip. Not something you should ever do on a bench but it really did help my OHP

Not that I can do them at all after 2 shoulder repairs
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #193
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
Nice man!!

It seems to be one of the weaker lifts for most people. I hit 205# strict for 2 raw a few days ago...still cutting though, so I'm sure I could hit 225#+ raw if I had enough calories in my system

Personally, strict OHP is all about technique / how explosive you can be. What's helped me tremendously is keeping tight (closer grip, narrow stance, activating your core, and pushing through your balls : )...deep breath in, engage your core, activate your posterior chain, barbell to your chest, and explode up

Will try to get vid next time to show what my technique is like...

Edit: also, Mark Rippetoe's the GOAT. I think he's said Strict OHP is more important than bench, and I couldn't agree more...
Yeah best two cues for me on the strict press is squeezing the quads and glutes.

I read Mark Rippetoes full starting strength book, really good read. The only part I thought was odd was the importance he placed on lying tricep extensions. Dude was all about some tricep extensions.

Another great read was Kelly Starretts "Becoming a supple leopard". You can basically use it as a go to anytime you have muscle pain. Simply flip through the chapter that covers that muscle group, identify the tissue being affected through a few tests, and go to corrective movements to resolve said issue. A good reminder on how I need to spend more time mobilizing... as I sit at my work desk.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #194
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah best two cues for me on the strict press is squeezing the quads and glutes.

I read Mark Rippetoes full starting strength book, really good read. The only part I thought was odd was the importance he placed on lying tricep extensions. Dude was all about some tricep extensions.

Another great read was Kelly Starretts "Becoming a supple leopard". You can basically use it as a go to anytime you have muscle pain. Simply flip through the chapter that covers that muscle group, identify the tissue being affected through a few tests, and go to corrective movements to resolve said issue. A good reminder on how I need to spend more time mobilizing... as I sit at my work desk.
K Star is the man. Did his original Mobility Project way back in the day. Supple Leopard is a must read for anyone who is serious about fitness, training and movement. It will save your body and joints! I have a whole mobility regimen I do everyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #195
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Did that strict press for 1 rep again today after deads. 175 was easy enough and think if routinely did direct shoulder work could approach my body weight. Don't see the big deal never done it before and can do 85 percent of body weight.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      02-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #196
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep

Quote:
Did that strict press for 1 rep again today after deads. 175 was easy enough and think if routinely did direct shoulder work could approach my body weight. Don't see the big deal never done it before and can do 85 percent of body weight.
Nice man, keep it up.

Strict standing OHP is, IMO, the single best mass / strength builder for the upper body (shoulders, upper pecs, upper back, core, posterior chain; lats and quads as stabilizers). So I do it very often. Never do any other shoulder work, just strict OHP and strict behind neck standing OHP. Shoulders are one of my strong points, so clearly it's working.

It also teaches explosiveness, which is such an important "concept" to train...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #197
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah only do direct shoulder work 1 or 2 times a month, they get enough front from chest, mid from trap work and rear from lat work. I will try adding in some ohp and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #198
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Nice work! Be sure to completely lock your arms out when overhead. Also keep the bar directly over your head, not in front of you when pressing. Your elbows should be right next to your ears.
Appreciate 0