BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2016: Australian GP - Melbourne (March 20)

03-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #67
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Agreed. The gap looks to be smaller this year.
The question is how much smaller, because the gap was huge last year. The only time the Ferrari/Benz were on the same tire was the beginning of the race. All Kimi did was hold up Rosberg from chasing down Vettel.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #68
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Alonso's crash was wicked crazy! He was very lucky to walk away from that!! Huge testament to the safety of today's F1 cars.

Also congrats to P6 for Haas! To me, that felt like a victory for them! They caught some luck with the red flag but I was happy to see that Grosjean was holding his own leading the pack against the Williams, FI, and STR's! What a great start to their F1 story.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #69
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU
Alonso's crash was wicked crazy! He was very lucky to walk away from that!! Huge testament to the safety of today's F1 cars.

Also congrats to P6 for Haas! To me, that felt like a victory for them! They caught some luck with the red flag but I was happy to see that Grosjean was holding his own leading the pack against the Williams, FI, and STR's! What a great start to their F1 story.
Agreed p6 was HUGE for them and my stomach hurt seeing the wreck until I saw Alonso step out. I'm sure it will be a racing incident but Gutierrez was clearly not braking in a straight line.
      03-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #70
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The media seems to be glossing over the fact Kimi's engine blew up into flames. After they spent testing writing 2016 Ferrari powered cars could have engine reliability issues. Gutierrez was reporting engine problems from the start of the race, he pace was not the same as Grosjean.

Tokens spent ahead of Australian GP. Ferrari definitely tried the biggest swing in the off-season.

Ferrari 23 (9 remaining)
Honda 18 (14 remaining)
Mercedes 19 (13 remaining)
Renault 7 (25 remaining)
Effing tokens. Bleagh.

Good race, terrible crash. Ferrari flubbed the tire strategy, although similar strategy worked for them last year. I suspect that the yellow and white tires degraded less than they anticipated.

Did I hear Alonso take responsibility in the post-race interview? I can't say I really saw Gutierrez do anything wrong. Just a racing incident I guess.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post
I'm sure it will be a racing incident but Gutierrez was clearly not braking in a straight line.
Not in a straight line but he did not waver from the racing line. It was on Alonso to find a way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #71
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Agreed. The gap looks to be smaller this year.
The question is how much smaller, because the gap was huge last year. The only time the Ferrari/Benz were on the same tire was the beginning of the race. All Kimi did was hold up Rosberg from chasing down Vettel.
Kimi would have never been able to hold up Rosberg in 2014 and 2015.. He would have just walked past him. Hamilton would have easily gone past Verstappen in previous years. There was plenty of passing going on by other drivers yet Hamilton couldn't get passed Verstappen.

Not saying Mercedes isn't the strongest but from yesterday's race, it doesn't seem as bad as previous years.

Some luck and pit stop strategy won the race, not outright pace.
      03-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #72
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
The media seems to be glossing over the fact Kimi's engine blew up into flames. After they spent testing writing 2016 Ferrari powered cars could have engine reliability issues. Gutierrez was reporting engine problems from the start of the race, he pace was not the same as Grosjean.

Tokens spent ahead of Australian GP. Ferrari definitely tried the biggest swing in the off-season.

Ferrari 23 (9 remaining)
Honda 18 (14 remaining)
Mercedes 19 (13 remaining)
Renault 7 (25 remaining)
It was a turbo failure on Raikkonen's car. Turbo issues is what plagued Haas cars in testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post

P6 was huge. Grosjean almost couldn't believe the result.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #73
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Wow that was a pretty exciting race. Red flag really shifted everything around and certainly changed the outcome. Thank god Alonso is OK. Good on Haas on P6!! Wondering if Kimi would have blown up if there was no red flag / extra heat-cool cycle.

Clear Mercedes can easily reel in Ferrari and Ferrari can do the same to them...

We will see mistakes by drivers this year because they won't adjust the car properly...looking prospectively like it is going to be a great season!

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #74
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Clear Mercedes can easily reel in Ferrari and Ferrari can do the same to them...
Ferrari needs to be on a softer compound tire to run down Mercedes. When Vettel stopped for softs at lap 35, Hamilton had been running on his mediums since red flag at lap 17. Soft tires had a 0.7 sec per lap advantage over mediums, when both sets are fresh. A larger delta when the mediums have almost 20 laps on them, in Hamilton's case. Conversely Vettel couldn't pull more than a 3 sec gap after the red flag, when he was on supersofts and Rosberg was on mediums. The delta between supersofts and mediums should be 2.9 sec per lap.

With all that said, this years new tire regs and some more pace in the Ferrari. We should see more interesting racing...hopefully. But I am realist, if Hamilton was able to get a good start. He would have walked away for the victory.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #75
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
All in all, F1 is off to a decent start! There were lots of on track battles which is far from having teammates running together around and around. And, Bravo to Haas for P6!
      03-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #76
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow what a race!

Would have been an even more interesting outcome had there not been a red flag.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #77
chunho01
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i E88 M-Sport

Now some photos

Now time for some photos I took yesterday.

Hope you'll appreciate them

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #78
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: '18 GT3, Ex F80x2

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #79
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Agreed p6 was HUGE for them and my stomach hurt seeing the wreck until I saw Alonso step out. I'm sure it will be a racing incident but Gutierrez was clearly not braking in a straight line.
I don't think Gutierrez was braking. He was definitely looking down and adjusting something on the steering wheel; during that time he slowed and moved over to the left slightly. Alonso was coming up fast and miscalculated the speed differential imho. Thank God he's fine though. Nasty crash but did you see the tub? It was completely intact!

Bish
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #80
sirantsE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N51 E90

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman
Quote:
I don't think Gutierrez was braking. He was definitely looking down and adjusting something on the steering wheel; during that time he slowed and moved over to the left slightly. Alonso was coming up fast and miscalculated the speed differential imho. Thank God he's fine though. Nasty crash but did you see the tub? It was completely intact!

Bish
Yeah when they first showed the mangled mess you couldn't see the tub. I thought for sure he was hurt. I watched it again. Your right. He wasn't in the braking zone yet but was definitely looking down.
      03-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #81
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

It sucks , Ferrari screwed it ! I was also scared but on Sky they first showed Alonso walking away and then showed the crash. Holy s*** that was unbelievable and hes lucky to walk with no injuries.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #82
wizzodedios
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09e92m3

that was very entertaining race. I think the red flag kinda favored Mercedes because they were able to fix Hamilton's front wing. The Ferraris look very strong. If their strategy and reliability is on point, they can take the fight to Mercedes. Also, I think vettel choked near the end of the race. I'm excited for Bahrain!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 03:53 AM   #83
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Race Pics

Last edited by Mtxzptlk; 03-28-2016 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #84
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Ferrari needs to be on a softer compound tire to run down Mercedes. When Vettel stopped for softs at lap 35, Hamilton had been running on his mediums since red flag at lap 17. Soft tires had a 0.7 sec per lap advantage over mediums, when both sets are fresh. A larger delta when the mediums have almost 20 laps on them, in Hamilton's case. Conversely Vettel couldn't pull more than a 3 sec gap after the red flag, when he was on supersofts and Rosberg was on mediums. The delta between supersofts and mediums should be 2.9 sec per lap.

With all that said, this years new tire regs and some more pace in the Ferrari. We should see more interesting racing...hopefully. But I am realist, if Hamilton was able to get a good start. He would have walked away for the victory.
Vettel couldn't push hard on the super softs because he knew he had to make them last till at least lap 35 to be able to make it to the end on the softs. If he pushed hard on the super softs he would have to pit a lot sooner and wouldn't have made it to the end.

We'll see what happens in Bahrain.
      03-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #85
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Current Qualy format stays for Bahrain GP

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...or_Bahrain_GP/
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #86
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
Vettel couldn't push hard on the super softs because he knew he had to make them last till at least lap 35 to be able to make it to the end on the softs. If he pushed hard on the super softs he would have to pit a lot sooner and wouldn't have made it to the end.

I just don't follow that logic. The entire reasoning behind choosing supersofts was to build a gap and he couldn't. They didn't put supersofts on to match a medium tire pace.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 03-24-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #87
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Current Qualy format stays for Bahrain GP

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/vi...or_Bahrain_GP/
What a joke. Bernie is officially going to drive this sport into ground until he is no longer around.

I can't imagine trying to follow this qualifying while sitting in the stands. It is difficult enough watching it on tv.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #88
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post

I just don't follow that logic. The entire reasoning behind choosing supersofts was to build a gap and he couldn't. They didn't put supersofts on to match a medium tire pace.
That'll help you follow it.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...ian-grand-prix