BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion More BMW Z5 Ruminations

06-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

More BMW Z5 Ruminations

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The best thing about BMW Z5 is that it so well disguised that there are virtually no clues to how it will actually appear.

But close up photography shows such details to reflect its now intentions. Such as very low nose and wide kidney grille.

But yes Z5 will be a serious sports car. It will have a Carbon content that will shame high end sports cars as well as a weight advantage. Hence why a soft top roof has now been adapted.
A benefit of pooling resources between BMW and Toyota in which costs shared over materials allows increased implementation.
The car exercises a very light and minimalistic cockpit, important for a sports car but still current with modern technology and luxuries.

Of course as for this car engines will be familiar,but the outputs will be exclusive and a manual will be available for the more enthusiastic driver. The Z5 will receive a four cylinder and a six cylinder but the output will be exclusive to this model. Therefore retaining the lightweight philosophy but for high performance. That is what the new Z cars will offer.

Z5 M Version?

Z5 is an unknown quantity as its being placed a little higher than the current car, mainly against the Jaguar F-Type. So it is a full relaunch of a new model aimed at enticing more Sports car owners from the more accessible Z4. That is why there is an advanced programme of development with Toyota on the new car as both companies can pool resources on one car. BMW see the relaunch of the Z series similar to the BMWi cars with a new genre of sports cars using a lightweight philosophy although aimed at performance rather than sustainability. Should the car initially be successful? Then we will see progress.
Attached Images

06-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The best thing about Z5 is that it so well disguised that there are virtually no clues to how it will actually appear.
Thank you very much for continuing to drop hints about the Z5, SCOTT. That render looks terrific.

I have one more burning question - what do you think about the chances for a V8 in this car? Do you expect something with eight cylinders to make an appearance under the hood, or will we get six cylinders at most, coupled perhaps with Power eDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

^^ I would bet on the latter, the potential output of those new hybrid setups is supposedly beyond 600+hp in full-fat form, not sure where this one will sit. I hope they don't go out of their way to make sure this car is slower than some other model (ahem M3 ahem) but you know the Germans
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thank you very much for continuing to drop hints about the Z5, SCOTT. That render looks terrific.

I have one more burning question - what do you think about the chances for a V8 in this car? Do you expect something with eight cylinders to make an appearance under the hood, or will we get six cylinders at most, coupled perhaps with Power eDrive?
I have not seen anything regarding a V8. As I mentioned previously this is a BMWi programme for Sports Cars. Which is more in line with an entirely new philosophy with the focus on performance through weight reduction.

Engines expected are a four And a six cylinder but with exclusive output unique to this car which assists the less is more philosophy from BMWi.
The Toyota will offer a hybrid and it not unthinkable BMW might do so later.
      06-10-2016, 10:00 PM   #5
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Interesting.
Attached Images

06-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
bigbob86
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 325ci M-sport

Quote:
The best thing about Z5 is that it so well disguised that there are virtually no clues to how it will actually appear.
But close up photography shows such details to reflect its now intentions. Such as very low nose and wide kidney grille.

But yes Z5 will be a serious sports car. It will have a Carbon content that will shame high end sports cars as well as a weight advantage. Hence why a soft top roof has now been adapted.
A benefit of pooling resources between BMW and Toyota in which costs shared over materials allows increased implementation.
The car exercises a very light and minimalistic cockpit, important for a sports car but still current with modern technology and luxuries.

Of course as for this car engines will be familiar,but the outputs will be exclusive and a manual will be available for the more enthusiastic driver.

If it will look like this and with the taillights from the 328 hommage it will definitly have the best look in its class.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Just as the BMW i8 showcases its power with a three cylinder albeit assisted.
It further cements the BMWi philosophy of being lightweight whenever possible.

The Z5 will receive a four cylinder and a six cylinder but the output will be exclusive to this model. Therefore retaining the lightweight philosophy but for high performance. That is what the new Z cars will offer.
      06-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #8
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Z5 is an unknown quantity as its being placed a little higher than the current car, mainly against the Jaguar F-Type.
So it is a full relaunch of a new model aimed at enticing more Sports car owners from the more accessible Z4.
That is why there is an advanced programme of development with Toyota on the new car as both companies can pool resources on one car.
BMW see the relaunch of the Z series similar to the BMWi cars with a new genre of sports cars using a lightweight philosophy although aimed at performance rather than sustainability.
Should the car initially be successful? Then we will see progress.
You say its going against the F-Type (which is an awesome car) but based on all the information we have seen it's only competing against the F-Type on size (and probably price)! Jaguar has RWD and AWD options vs BMW RWD only, and the engines are not even close if BMW is only putting the 4 & 6 cyl in there, Jaguar starts at 340hp (which would compare to a Z5 M40i if made) and goes all the way up to a 550 HP version (meaning BMW needs the M5 engine to compete). the 340 hp version starts at $65K.

now if BMW offered a Z5M with AWD for $108K to compete with the F-Type that would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
You say its going against the F-Type (which is an awesome car) but based on all the information we have seen it's only competing against the F-Type on size (and probably price)! Jaguar has RWD and AWD options vs BMW RWD only, and the engines are not even close if BMW is only putting the 4 & 6 cyl in there, Jaguar starts at 340hp (which would compare to a Z5 M40i if made) and goes all the way up to a 550 HP version (meaning BMW needs the M5 engine to compete). the 340 hp version starts at $65K.

now if BMW offered a Z5M with AWD for $108K to compete with the F-Type that would be amazing.
I don't think a Z5 with xDrive is on the cards. Why can't the BMW demonstrate the similar levels of power but with less cylinders?
Its the change which is coming and not necessarily for this car but the BMW Power eDrive power train is a six cylinder albeit assisted drivetrain with 670PS. It illustrates a possible future for performance.
And besides the Jaguar is not a light car.
      06-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
I don't think a Z5 with xDrive is on the cards. Why can't the BMW demonstrate the similar levels of power but with less cylinders?
Its the change which is coming and not necessarily for this car but the BMW Power eDrive power train is a six cylinder albeit assisted drivetrain with 670PS. It illustrates a possible future for performance.
my first 3 cars were a 2000 Z3 M Roadster, 2004 Z4, 2006 M Coupe (all used). Obviously I have a soft spot for BMW roadsters, even with its weight issues the F-Type is an amazing car for the price (price/performance), I am just hoping if BMW is going to be at the same price they will also compete performance wise, they also need to realize AWD is needed to put the power down, the M3 has already shown these issues (when all these cars had under 400HP traction was never an issue, even the light weight ones). Obviously if all we are going to see is the I4 and I6, AWD is not needed, I was speaking more to the possibility of a full blown M, OR if we see a M50i with say 450 HP, that could use xdrive...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Lightweight carbon fiber and minimalistic cockpit sounds good to me!

Enough AWD and V8 talk.
Why does everyone want AWD all of a sudden!?

Let's hope BMW is aiming for 911 & Cayman/ 917 and not Jag F Type
Appreciate 4
      06-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Believe it when I see it.
I doubt they'd announce an M version until after they feel out the market and they had a successful launch.

A more accurate statement would be that it would compete against the 6cyl F-Type. They would need an M version to compete with the V8 R or SVR models. Even if they only give it M3/4 power (s55) Im sure it can complete in terms of performance for the price. The R/SVR is over priced.

What I'm even more interested in is if they would ever make a Z5 coupe, now that would be an awesome car! Bring back the clownshoe!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #13
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I could imagine the Z5 having a 450 hp S55 option and weighing 3200-3300 lbs would be unique in the segment... a more driver's oriented option over the F Type R. Not to mention it could be 20-30 grand cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

9 out of 10

Of course as for this car engines will be familiar,but the outputs will be exclusive and a manual will be available for the more enthusiastic driver. The Z5 will receive a four cylinder and a six cylinder but the output will be exclusive to this model. Therefore retaining the lightweight philosophy but for high performance. That is what the new Z cars will offer.

Z5 M Version?

Z5 is an unknown quantity as its being placed a little higher than the current car, mainly against the Jaguar F-Type. So it is a full relaunch of a new model aimed at enticing more Sports car owners from the more accessible Z4. That is why there is an advanced programme of development with Toyota on the new car as both companies can pool resources on one car. BMW see the relaunch of the Z series similar to the BMWi cars with a new genre of sports cars using a lightweight philosophy although aimed at performance rather than sustainability. Should the car initially be successful? Then we will see progress.[/QUOTE]

All this is great for the brand and the core enthusiasts but I am baffled why there is no coupe or M version being built into this program. This is a question I have asked you on many occasions and not received any real comment.

Either way; this is good thing and will hopefully be an interesting direction moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
True. And the L6 is classic BMW as much as Porsche is associated with a flat 6 or Ferrrai with a V12. Just hope for the engine to sound great in and out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #16
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I6 and RWD is the perfect combo for a light car.
Maybe we will see a 450 ps version or even a more hardcore one with 500 ps. Taking into account the total weight of the car, I think the power and performances will be on top of the class.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Pretty sure a Z5M will arrive
      06-29-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
spiceyxi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 528i, '06 Z4C & '13 135i

Quote:
Why can't the BMW demonstrate the similar levels of power but with less cylinders?

Why? I think the biggest reason is your going to want me to spend probably $55K plus on a car with only 4cyl. That isn't going to happen if I can pick up an F-Type at a similar price. Plus, have you heard the F-Type? It sounds amazing I just have a hard time believing a 4cyl will be able to give me the acoustic satisfaction. Let alone if you compare the BMW 6cyl to Jag 8cyl. Hopefully, the Z5 will offer an amazing driving dynamic where the 4cyl works perfectly for it. But I suspect the 4cyl should be saved for a Z3.

The F-Type gives me a similar feeling that the Z4 Coupe did when it first came out. I hope the Z5 can match that feeling. You are setting the expectation high by going after such a gorgeous looking and sounding car. Please live up to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Looking forward to seeing this Z5 develop, exciting times. I really hope this segment catches on more with BMW and the market.

I predict the production car will get tyres though.
      06-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyxi View Post
Why? I think the biggest reason is your going to want me to spend probably $55K plus on a car with only 4cyl. That isn't going to happen if I can pick up an F-Type at a similar price. Plus, have you heard the F-Type? It sounds amazing I just have a hard time believing a 4cyl will be able to give me the acoustic satisfaction. Let alone if you compare the BMW 6cyl to Jag 8cyl. Hopefully, the Z5 will offer an amazing driving dynamic where the 4cyl works perfectly for it. But I suspect the 4cyl should be saved for a Z3.

The F-Type gives me a similar feeling that the Z4 Coupe did when it first came out. I hope the Z5 can match that feeling. You are setting the expectation high by going after such a gorgeous looking and sounding car. Please live up to them.
I could envision a Three cylinder in the future Z3 such an engine has serious potential as well as a serious weight advantage. BMW have developed a 3 Cylinder with performance up to 300PS.
      06-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #21
Eno335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott
Believe it when I see it.
I doubt they'd announce an M version until after they feel out the market and they had a successful launch.

A more accurate statement would be that it would compete against the 6cyl F-Type. They would need an M version to compete with the V8 R or SVR models. Even if they only give it M3/4 power (s55) Im sure it can complete in terms of performance for the price. The R/SVR is over priced.

What I'm even more interested in is if they would ever make a Z5 coupe, now that would be an awesome car! Bring back the clownshoe!
+1 on bringing back the M coupe / clownshoe
      06-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #22
kardboard
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3, 2010 135i, 2004 WRX

Garage List
2010 135i  [6.00]
2004 WRX  [8.00]
Quote:
I have not seen anything regarding a V8. As I mentioned previously this is a BMWi programme for Sports Cars. Which is more in line with an entirely new philosophy with the focus on performance through weight reduction.

Engines expected are a four And a six cylinder but with exclusive output unique to this car which assists the less is more philosophy from BMWi.
The Toyota will offer a hybrid and it not unthinkable BMW might do so later.
Hmmm