BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW, Intel and Mobileye Team Up to Bring Fully Autonomous Driving by 2021

07-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW, Intel and Mobileye Team Up to Bring Fully Autonomous Driving by 2021

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW, Intel and Mobileye Team Up to Bring Fully Autonomous Driving to Streets by 2021
COMMENTS
Name:  P90207118-highRes.jpg
Views: 5090
Size:  1.36 MB

BMW Press Release -- Munich – July 1, 2016. BMW Group, Intel, and Mobileye are joining forces to make self-driving vehicles and future mobility concepts become a reality. The three leaders from the automotive, technology and computer vision and machine learning industries are collaborating to bring solutions for highly and fully automated driving into series production by 2021.

The future of automated driving promises to change lives and societies for the better. But the path to get to a fully autonomous world is complex and will require end-to-end solutions that integrate intelligence across the network, from door locks to the data center. Transportation providers of the future must harness rapidly evolving technologies, collaborate with totally new partners, and prepare for disruptive opportunities.

Together with Intel and Mobileye, the BMW Group will develop the necessary solutions and innovative systems for highly and fully automated driving to bring these technologies into series production by 2021. The BMW iNEXT model will be the foundation for BMW Group’s autonomous driving strategy and set the basis for fleets of fully autonomous vehicles, not only on highways but also in urban environments for the purpose of automated ridesharing solutions.

BMW Group, Intel and Mobileye are convinced that automated driving technologies will make travel safer and easier. The goal of the collaboration is to develop future-proofed solutions that enable the drivers to not only take their hands off the steering wheel, but reach the so called “eyes off” (level 3) and ultimately the “mind off” (level 4) level transforming the driver’s in-car time into leisure or work time. This level of autonomy would enable the vehicle, on a technical level, to achieve the final stage of traveling “driver off” (level 5) without a human driver inside. This establishes the opportunity for self-driving fleets by 2021 and lays the foundation for entirely new business models in a connected, mobile world.

On July 1, 2016, the three partners were present at the BMW Group Headquarters in Munich to express their commitment to strive for an industry standard and define an open platform for autonomous driving. The common platform will address level 3 to level 5 automated driving and will be made available to multiple car vendors and other industries who could benefit from autonomous machines and deep machine learning.

The companies have agreed to a set of deliverables and milestones to deliver fully autonomous cars based on a common reference architecture. Near term, the companies will demonstrate an autonomous test drive with a highly automated driving (HAD) prototype. In 2017 the platform will extend to fleets with extended autonomous test drives.

“Today marks an important milestone for the automotive industry as we enter a world of new mobility. Together with BMW Group and Intel, Mobileye is laying the groundwork for the technology of future mobility that enables fully autonomous driving to become a reality within the next few years,” said Mobileye Co-Founder, Chairman and CTO Professor Amnon Shashua.

“Mobileye is proud to contribute our expertise in sensing, localization, and driver policy to enable fully autonomous driving in this cooperation. The processing of sensing, like our capabilities to understand the driving scene through a single camera already, will be deployed on Mobileye’s latest system-on-chip, the EyeQ®5, and the collaborative development of fusion algorithms will be deployed on Intel computing platforms. In addition, Mobileye Road Experience Management (REM) technology will provide real-time precise localization and model the driving scene to essentially support fully autonomous driving.”

Intel brings a comprehensive portfolio of technology to power and connect billions of smart and connected devices, including cars. To handle the complex workloads required for autonomous cars in urban environments Intel provides the compute power that scales from Intel® Atom™ to Intel® Xeon™ processors delivering up to a total of 100 teraflops of power efficient performance without having to rewrite code.

“Highly autonomous cars and everything they connect to will require powerful and reliable electronic brains to make them smart enough to navigate traffic and avoid accidents,” said Intel CEO Brian Krzanich. “This partnership between BMW Group, Intel and Mobileye will help us to quickly deliver on our vision to reinvent the driving experience. We bring a broad set of in-vehicle and cloud computing, connectivity, safety and security, and machine-learning assets to this collaboration enabling a truly end to end solution.”

With its Strategy Number ONE > NEXT, the BMW Group has developed its framework to remain the driving force behind premium individual mobility. This approach will become driving reality with the BMW iNEXT model in 2021, heralding a new era of mobility.

“At the BMW Group we always strive for technological leadership. This partnership underscores our Strategy Number ONE > NEXT to shape the individual mobility of the future,” stated Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG. “Following our investment in high definition live map technology at HERE, the combined expertise of Intel, Mobileye and the BMW Group will deliver the next core building block to bring fully automated driving technology to the street. We have already showcased such groundbreaking solutions in our VISION NEXT 100 vehicle concepts. With this technological leap forward, we are offering our customers a whole new level of sheer driving pleasure whilst pioneering new concepts for premium mobility.”

Name:  P90207114-highRes.jpg
Views: 4972
Size:  1.65 MB

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #2
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Ultimate "Fully Autonomous Driving" machine.
Appreciate 5
      07-01-2016, 08:54 AM   #3
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Awesome we just need Microsoft on board then the car can pull over on the hard shoulder and force you to update. As long as it's plugged in of course.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I am thinking that fully autonomous driving took a pretty big hit when a Tesla Model S couldn't tell the difference between sunlight and a tractor trailer and failed to hit the brakes sadly killing its driver recently.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
///M-Furby
Master Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Ultimate "Fully Autonomous Driving" machine.
BMW Autonomous Prime Directive
1. Live in the left lane
2. Do not use turn signals
3. Maintain a dick reputation

i will get this cause we are a one car family and my wife will demand it
"Boo" CPO 2006 330xi | Sold
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857
I am thinking that fully autonomous driving took a pretty big hit when a Tesla Model S couldn't tell the difference between sunlight and a tractor trailer and failed to hit the brakes sadly killing its driver recently.
Yep you beat me to it!

People will see this a big uhhhh I ain't trusting no computer with my life, The guys in the studio where talking with over the air updates who knows who will be able to hack your car and drive it into a wall, imagine everyone driving in self driving cars with over the air updates and then a terrorist cell hacks the system causing all cars to just go haywire, man not a good day!

Ahhhh the future .....

Reminds me back from that line in Jurassic park when he said " they where so focused on if they could they never stopped and thought if they should". Or something like that

Even though your suppose to keep hands on wheels at all times and be in total alertness mode, I guarantee the masses will be sleeping, texting, fooling around and not doing as they should resulting in more accidents like this.

Here is when they hacked the jeep
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Natural selection still at work ...

Actually I'm very much in favor of autonomous systems because many humans simply don't pay enough attention to driving. Honestly those individuals should go ahead and leave the driving to someone/something that will pay more attention whether it's uber or an autonomous vehicle.

It's a shame that the individual in the tesla lost his life but they will certainly improve their systems a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

And now CNN has picked it up: http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/01/tech...eye/index.html

Will be nice for the daily commute, I have to admit. Still always will love a nice weekend drive under my own control, though!

-tgm
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Awesome we just need Microsoft on board then the car can pull over on the hard shoulder and force you to update. As long as it's plugged in of course.
If Microsoft got on board - during an emergency you would be forced to do an update, the car might freeze other than driving itself 80mph, and other modules on car may not communicate with each other at random times.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
If Microsoft got on board - during an emergency you would be forced to do an update, the car might freeze other than driving itself 80mph, and other modules on car may not communicate with each other at random times.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

i'm not completely against the idea of an autonomous car, I just don't want that technology near any of the cars i'd want to drive.

on second thought, North Korea, Russia, Terrorists, Hackers.....

Actually its the dumbest idea ever...
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

This is a great idea for the vast majority of drivers (those who posses marginal skills, short attention spans and poor reflexes). Prediction. If lawmakers are insightful enough to make autonomous driving mandatory for women, then traffic congestion, average commute times and accidents will greatly decrease, average travel speeds will greatly increase and the roads will be much safer for everyone too. If in doubt, see http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2011/Ju...enderstudy.pdf. Cheers!
      07-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06
This is a great idea for the vast majority of drivers (those who posses marginal skills, short attention spans and poor reflexes). Prediction. If lawmakers are insightful enough to make autonomous driving mandatory for women, then traffic congestion, average commute times and accidents will greatly decrease, average travel speeds will greatly increase and the roads will be much safer for everyone too. If in doubt, see http://ns.umich.edu/Releases/2011/Ju...enderstudy.pdf. Cheers!
But that's the problem, this guy was part of the issue as he had a short attention span and wasn't paying attention and it killed him. Would he have been more a tentative if he was not driving a self driven car.

Question is without it would he still be alive ? Seems normal driving seemed to have worked pretty good to get him through 40 years of life before the self driving car took it from him.

Problem is software is written by humans and sometimes their are circumstances that arise that the technology just can't cope with and I for one will not be a test mule for their mistakes.

Yea theirs always an excell spread sheet or a test that showed how great it could be, then reality hits and our current roadways are not designed well enough for this technology to be fool proof. And you'll see a lot more deaths because of it. Like i said earlier, even in auto mode you need to be tentative to what's going on around you, most will not and when the issue arises when they need to over ride the system they won't and boom shit will happen.

Hell the stupid camera on my car freaked out every time the sun gets at the right angle. I'm sure it will work great in a perfect world when all works as it should but when does that ever happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Please don't.
      07-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18
i'm not completely against the idea of an autonomous car, I just don't want that technology near any of the cars i'd want to drive.

on second thought, North Korea, Russia, Terrorists, Hackers.....

Actually its the dumbest idea ever...
The Russians eh? Still a threat to our freedoms right? You left off the USSA from your list.
      07-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Im glad I grew up and live in a time we drive our own cars. I don't understand the need for this technology. I get we CAN achieve this, but why?
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Whatever you do stay far away from the tesla forums right now, not only are they in denial well some anyway, but their rabid against anyone questioning teslas technology or the autonomous tech in general.

They kind of remind me of Apple enthusiasts ....

Uh oh better stop talking
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I read some articles about the Tesla driver and he apparently was watching a movie or playing games during the autonomous driving. Either way, it led to an unfortunate outcome but I don't think autonomous driving is at the point where you can just sleep and let the car drive and won't be for a while
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Guy who was killed in the Tesla was a big proponent of the autonomous driving feature. He posted youtube videos about how cool it was.

I can't really see full autonomy being given to computerized automobiles in my lifetime, unless the environment is strictly controlled. I'm picturing the equivalent of HOV lanes. The car can go full auto only when it is in that lane.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #20
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Yep you beat me to it!

People will see this a big uhhhh I ain't trusting no computer with my life, The guys in the studio where talking with over the air updates who knows who will be able to hack your car and drive it into a wall, imagine everyone driving in self driving cars with over the air updates and then a terrorist cell hacks the system causing all cars to just go haywire, man not a good day!

Ahhhh the future .....

Reminds me back from that line in Jurassic park when he said " they where so focused on if they could they never stopped and thought if they should". Or something like that

Even though your suppose to keep hands on wheels at all times and be in total alertness mode, I guarantee the masses will be sleeping, texting, fooling around and not doing as they should resulting in more accidents like this.

I'm so glad that there are people that think like you so that they can come up with a solution to this very possible circumstance that could happen.

I'm sure that they will figure it out, but keep in mind that the system we have now is not perfect. Terrorists could hack into the traffic lights tomorrow and make them all green at the same time, which would cause just as much accidents and deaths as hacking into an autonomous driving car. And yet we still drive cars on the road.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:20 AM   #21
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Yep you beat me to it!

Ahhhh the future .....

I'm so glad that there are people that think like you so that they can come up with a solution to this very possible circumstance that could happen.

I'm sure that they will figure it out, but keep in mind that the system we have now is not perfect. Terrorists could hack into the traffic lights tomorrow and make them all green at the same time, which would cause just as much accidents and deaths as hacking into an autonomous driving car. And yet we still drive cars on the road.
Yep just like in Italian job

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and this sort of stuff is right up my ally, but sometimes they release things to early to be first to market and it puts people's life in danger.

Since I'm in the field I'm cynical, and just tired of all the bull shit that we go through and see things released to early to impress share holders and all that jazz. I'd rather be late to the party with a fully vetted system but that rarely happens in today's world :/.

If your first to market you own it and all others are copy cats, it's bragging rights at that point but unfortunately we get half baked goods, and have to wait till they get it right. But alas that's product development for you
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c-
Quote:
Yep you beat me to it!

Ahhhh the future .....

Yep just like in Italian job

Don't get me wrong, I love tech and this sort of stuff is right up my ally, but sometimes they release things to early to be first to market and it puts people's life in danger.

Since I'm in the field I'm cynical, and just tired of all the bull shit that we go through and see things released to early to impress share holders and all that jazz. I'd rather be late to the party with a fully vetted system but that rarely happens in today's world :/.

If your first to market you own it and all others are copy cats, it's bragging rights at that point but unfortunately we get half baked goods, and have to wait till they get it right. But alas that's product development for you
Only way to progress further is bring the new product to market. A company can not study or test product 100% under controlled environment. When new tech emerges, buyers become the test subjects. In car automation, consumers are going to die because they chose to be the first. Somebody has to be first to take lose or be a winner.
Appreciate 0