BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Air Conditioning

06-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #45
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadders View Post
The air con in mine never changes speed. In auto climate it's always blowing on the second lowest fan speed. Doesn't matter if it's boiling hot or freezing cold. I have to press the MAX AC button to get the blowers to actually do anything meaningful.
Auto doesn't automatically increase the speed. It may be true that you set a max speed but if I set to min it'll stay at min and if I whack it up it gets high.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #46
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Auto doesn't automatically increase the speed. It may be true that you set a max speed but if I set to min it'll stay at min and if I whack it up it gets high.
This seems to fit with the previous reply: In Auto, the speed is maximized by the speed you manually set. So if you put it on "4" and Auto, it should first blow hard and automatically settle down once the car is cooled down...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #47
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoManiac View Post
This seems to fit with the previous reply: In Auto, the speed is maximized by the speed you manually set. So if you put it on "4" and Auto, it should first blow hard and automatically settle down once the car is cooled down...
Yeah I'll experiment tomorrow - it's nice discovering all these things about the car over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:33 PM   #48
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Hi all, I just picked up my M550 and I am experiencing the dreaded AC issues. After doing some experimenting between my M235 and the M550, it appears to be a software issue. The 550 blows hot air into the foot area

Outside temperature was 73° and in the M550 I needed to turn the temperature selection down to 63°F in automatic to stop the system from blowing hot air into the foot box. The upper vents were blowing cold air but the vent under the steering wheel (to the right of center) was blowing HOT air.
Once I turned the temp down to 63°F the system was the equivalent to 72°F in the M235.

Obviously this is creating an imbalance in the system even in manual mode with all three zones top, center and bottom selected hot air continues to blow into the bottom zone until I broke a certain temperature threshold in this case 63°F.

Now the question is - is it a sensor that is broken or is it just software??? BMW time to get to work
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired

Last edited by FunRevn; 06-28-2017 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #49
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Weird. Definitely two types of car being churned out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #50
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Never mind Arizona it can't even keep the driver cool in Ireland on a moderately warm day. Other than that and a difficulty in driving straight at high speed in strong crosswinds, I do like the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #51
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

I took the car in today and sat down with the shop foreman who I have a very good relationship with. I showed him my findings and he felt that this was very strange behavior and that he would bring it up in two weeks at the next engineering meeting.

He also tried my method on a brand-new 540 and encountered the same result. Unfortunately the workaround is to go manual and eliminate the bottom zone. The other option is max air or keep turning down the temperature until the lower zone or foot well area does not blow hot air. Additionally he felt that even when we adjusted the face or middle zone via iDrive to positive three bars blue would be the equivalent in a 2016 car as the wheel being one bar positive red or at best centered between blue and red. Hopefully will get some results soon.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #52
chasedeez1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
I took the car in today and sat down with the shop foreman who I have a very good relationship with. I showed him my findings and he felt that this was very strange behavior and that he would bring it up in two weeks at the next engineering meeting.

He also tried my method on a brand-new 540 and encountered the same result. Unfortunately the workaround is to go manual and eliminate the bottom zone. The other option is max air or keep turning down the temperature until the lower zone or foot well area does not blow hot air. Additionally he felt that even when we adjusted the face or middle zone via iDrive to positive three bars blue would be the equivalent in a 2016 car as the wheel being one bar positive red or at best centered between blue and red. Hopefully will get some results soon.
I'm having similar issues with my a/c consistently blowing cold air or taking long time to cool off. What did you mean exactly on the bars+3. Visual please
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:20 AM   #53
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep

The things a read here are definitely not normal and unacceptable. My car has been pushed back for two weeks, but when it arrives it will be the first thing I check. I cleaned my shorts already 3 times, just in case...

If the airco is working subpar, then the dealer can keep it until it is fixed.

Other people here claim a properly working airco (and BMW sure have tested it before launching the vehicle); so I am curious to know the reason behind this "bad batch" ...guess I will never know unless my car suffers the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #54
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Yeah the problem for my car, as I stated above, is when the system is on automatic or all three AC zones are open top, middle and bottom, the bottom zone pushes out hot air while the upper two zones are delivering cold air. This upsets the balance and the goal of the system, to cool down the cabin. In addition others are noticing a low volume of air. The low volume of air would not necessarily be an issue if all three zones were working together to achieve the desired temperature goal.
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #55
911Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i MSport

Still no official update from BMW on the cause of the correction for the air cutting off under acceleration.

However, my service center called me today to tell me that my car is no longer displaying the fault. Their best guess is that the ambient temp needs to be 110 or higher. Past week has been around 106 - 109. They are not forcing me to come and get the car, but stated I can and they will let me know when BMW issues a fix, or I bring it back in if it starts up again. For all the doubter out there, they did confirm to me several times that they were able to repeat the issue... this is not a matter of user error.

I am undecided what to do... if I leave the car there it seems I would put myself in a better position regarding any lemon law claim. If the hottest part of the summer is over and it's not quite hot enough to trigger the issue, I would have to possible wait another year for it to repeat itself.

I don't' mean to whine, but I really have a hard time paying 70k for a car that has a serious issue like this.

I do like the car, but I am really worried about being stuck with a car that may never be fixable. Let alone the crackling dash, faulty gearshift (which was corrected) and erratic electronics and general subpar AC (not the AC fault that made me actually bring it in).
The ride and some of its features are great. It has the best adaptive cruise control I have ever used.

Has anyone had a similiar experience with a defect and a choice of taking the car with no resolution of the underlying issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #56
chasedeez1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

911Fanatic, Ive experienced all the above except for the gearshift issue. Dash, A/C and iDrive Screen not working all the time. Also wind noise on the passenger window!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #57
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

I picked up my car yesterday. It was 38C (100F)
I set the AC to 19C (66F) and it was very cool inside in a very short period of time.

Later at night friends wanted to see the car and joined me for a ride. AC was set to 22C (72F) and they all complained it was too cold inside and asked me to turn off the AC. Ambient temperature was around 28C (82F)

I know this does not help those having issues with AC and I hope they get it resolved asap but just wanted to say not all the G30s have this problem. Mine is Euro spec with 4 zone AC

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #58
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Some in another forum suggested that the central knob now in the idrive should be set to neutral, not cold or hot and the the fan speed should be set to maximum when in Auto.

It is believed that the central knob overrides the automatic HVAC air coming from the central dash vents (making it colder than the set automatic temperature) and the system is trying to compensate for it by blowing hot air in the foot well
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      06-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #59
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep

The blue-red dial (that used to be a physical dial) is called the "stratification" wheel and it only affects the center air vents. It just adds a bit of hot air to the cooled air to make it more pleasant for longer drives. It does NOT override any temperature setting. It just mixes in hot air for the two center vents.

Even if you put this knob on full RED, all the other vents should be blasting cold air, and only the two center ones should be blowing "less cold" air - so you can stand it for a 6 hour drive. If you put it on full BLUE, the center vents will blow even colder air than the others: this is to keep you awake for a 6 hour night drive (no kidding, just read the manual).

There is nothing special or difficult about the AC of this G30 or any other BMW before. Auto "just works" - if it doesn't, the AC is broken - it really is that simple.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #60
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fanatic View Post
Still no official update from BMW on the cause of the correction for the air cutting off under acceleration.

However, my service center called me today to tell me that my car is no longer displaying the fault. Their best guess is that the ambient temp needs to be 110 or higher. Past week has been around 106 - 109. They are not forcing me to come and get the car, but stated I can and they will let me know when BMW issues a fix, or I bring it back in if it starts up again. For all the doubter out there, they did confirm to me several times that they were able to repeat the issue... this is not a matter of user error.

I am undecided what to do... if I leave the car there it seems I would put myself in a better position regarding any lemon law claim. If the hottest part of the summer is over and it's not quite hot enough to trigger the issue, I would have to possible wait another year for it to repeat itself.

I don't' mean to whine, but I really have a hard time paying 70k for a car that has a serious issue like this.

I do like the car, but I am really worried about being stuck with a car that may never be fixable. Let alone the crackling dash, faulty gearshift (which was corrected) and erratic electronics and general subpar AC (not the AC fault that made me actually bring it in).
The ride and some of its features are great. It has the best adaptive cruise control I have ever used.

Has anyone had a similiar experience with a defect and a choice of taking the car with no resolution of the underlying issue.
I have also noticed that under 110 it doesn't happen as much, although it does still happen. Today was 100/109 and it did happen but just less often.
      06-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #61
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedeez1 View Post
911Fanatic, Ive experienced all the above except for the gearshift issue. Dash, A/C and iDrive Screen not working all the time. Also wind noise on the passenger window!
Ahhh the wind noise! I just started noticing it as well
      06-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #62
911Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i MSport

Spent over an hour at my service center today after they told me that the car was no longer exhibiting the loss air flow during throttle input scenario.

They stated that it only does this in 110+ plus heat, its been a bit cooler than that during this week.

I went during the hottest part of the day and asked my service rep if he would come with me on a drive around the block before I decided on taking the car home. He agreed and so we went to see if the care exhibited any of the fluctuation in the air flow.

I have to say, it felt so good to be in my 5 after a week in a half of the X1 loaner!

Temp outside was registered at 109 degrees in my car. A/C was set a MAX Air.

Within 100 yards of moving, yes the volume of air being pushed out of the vent decreased, not nearly as much as it was doing on the 119 degree days, but it still did it. I was about to accept the small drop as we proceeded, but then we turned a corner and I accelerated just a little bit harder and it happened to a much greater degree. Barely any air was coming from the vents, after about 10 seconds it started building up again.

I was trying to decide if I should just take my 5 back and wait for BMW to solve the issue. I almost did, but ultimately decided, it was staying in their shop and I drove the X1 loaner back home.

Very disappointed in the fact that my car (and others) have this issue. I really like the car. Driving it again made me remember why I liked it so much, despite some of the minor annoyances.

I am keeping it at the dealership until BMW can solve the issue, or the timing allows for an alternate approach.

I understand there are a number of 5's out there that are not having the issues at all. Excellent! I am happy that its not impacting all of the cars. But there are examples the new 5 out there that are having consistent, repeatable problems. I wish my car was not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 03:32 AM   #63
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Sorry to hear about all these A/C related issues with your car . I think they will resolve the issue . It was a good thing that service rep came with you for the drive and he also saw that weird A/C problem
      07-01-2017, 03:53 AM   #64
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

It is really disappointing. Unacceptable.. crap AC and dash cracking. Basic things which works in non luxury cars..

My car is going to be produced in the second half of July I hope they are working on this.. would be big problem if they sell many cars with these problems. There might be a lot of recalls.

By the way for me if somebody in service starts to "tear" new car in pieces and then set it back I never trust it will be as good as from Factory.
Everytime somebody touched my car Ive heard new sounds during ride - clicking, creaking, cracking which makes me insane
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 03:57 AM   #65
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Sorry to hear about all these A/C related issues with your car . I think they will resolve the issue . It was a good thing that service rep came with you for the drive and he also saw that weird A/C problem
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the issue with the A/C, (air flows on acceleration) are found to be linked to Efficient Dynamics.

If it was only happening to the 540i, I'd be thinking some association with the water cooling of the evaporator, having conflicts at higher ambient/engine temperatures.

BMW don't give a lot away, but we know energy management controls the alternator on acceleration/deceleration, I'm wondering if BMW are applying similar function to the A/C.

I question how it behaves, different/worse in Eco-Pro mode?

Last edited by HighlandPete; 07-01-2017 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:06 AM   #66
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fanatic View Post
Temp outside was registered at 109 degrees in my car. A/C was set a MAX Air.

Within 100 yards of moving, yes the volume of air being pushed out of the vent decreased, not nearly as much as it was doing on the 119 degree days, but it still did it. I was about to accept the small drop as we proceeded, but then we turned a corner and I accelerated just a little bit harder and it happened to a much greater degree. Barely any air was coming from the vents, after about 10 seconds it started building up again.
See my other post. Has the dealer (or BMW) mentioned anything about energy management and Efficient Dynamics?

I'm minded this could be either influenced by energy management, showing up at the higher temperatures. Or it is being controlled by the engine management, possibly the thermal management at elevated engine temperatures. For example, reducing the engine loading on acceleration. The A/C being close to maximum performance/temperatures has to cut back flows to reduce demand and/or overheating.

Simply thinking out of the box, as data is scarce on climate control function in the G30.
Appreciate 0