BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Air Conditioning

07-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #67
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the issue with the A/C the (air flows on acceleration) are found to be linked to Efficient Dynamics.

If it was only happening to the 540i, I'd be thinking some association with the water cooling of the evaporator, having conflicts at higher ambient/engine temperatures.

BMW don't give a lot away, but we know energy management controls the alternator on acceleration/deceleration, I'm wondering if BMW are applying similar function to the A/C.

I question how it behaves, different/worse in Eco-Pro mode?
I have noticed that in my dad's car ,non BMW , A/C blows even colder air by increasing air flow in idle ,waiting at lights rather than when it's on the move .The selected mode is AUTO and fan speed is LOW .
In my i8 when I used to select Eco-Pro it reduced A/C efficiency to blow less cold air flow .Anyway, I'm a con hater to Eco-Pro rather than pro Eco-Pro ,sorry for the pun
      07-01-2017, 04:10 AM   #68
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Funny my grandpa used heating in summer when his engine used to be close to "warm".. back to 80'

Btw I have read some posts with other engines than 40i had too AC problems.

Ye i8 but its hybrid.. also pure electric cars has these problems because it saves power..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #69
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Interesting thought on the ED front. Mines a 530d x drive. Are those experiencing issues solely on a particular engine size or type?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:16 AM   #70
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

No. Mine is 520d MSport and no AC or crackling dashboard issue
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:43 AM   #71
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

By the way I asked some guys I know who works in saloons here in Cze and they dont have any reports on G30 yet. Neither AC nor the Dashboard. Customers are happy overall.
I asked my friend who said he will call some of his clients and ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #72
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Interesting thought on the ED front. Mines a 530d x drive. Are those experiencing issues solely on a particular engine size or type?
I'm sure it will become clearer as time passes.

My observation, we have at least two different issues with the A/C. First, the strange air flows, which could be caused by getting near the extremes of use. And second, what appears to be specific faults in the system performance. Like the poor cooling performance in moderate ambient temperatures. That can never be normal.

I had issues with the HVAC (IHKA) system in my E91, would go into strange air flows. Cutting a long story short, BMW fitted a data logger in the car for a week, collected the data. BMW and the system designers analysed the data and it was working to the design parameters.

What was happening, I'd hit a set of conditions where the humidity was high and it was taking the 'designed in' progression of steps, to clear the identified humidity. So what seemed a malfunction, (even heating the car more) was simply in the cascade of measures the HVAC automatically used to prevent misting.

It happened virtually in the same place on my typical trips, where conditions in the glen obviously changed, and I'd see the strange behaviour regularly. That particular set of conditions, many would probably never encounter.

I use the example to illustrate we may find some extreme conditions do have their particular (almost unique) consequences. Will follow the thread with interest, to see how BMW answer the "flows changing with acceleration" in elevated temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #73
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
By the way I asked some guys I know who works in saloons here in Cze and they dont have any reports on G30 yet. Neither AC nor the Dashboard. Customers are happy overall.
I asked my friend who said he will call some of his clients and ask.
I have not complained to my dealership because what are they going to do. Mess with my car and probably make it worse. Vthat is probably why very little reporting on snap crackle pop and ac
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #74
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
I have not complained to my dealership because what are they going to do. Mess with my car and probably make it worse. Vthat is probably why very little reporting on snap crackle pop and ac
I c.. how bad is the AC in real? I mean I usually set my AC to 24/25 celsius because I dont like so much cold air in car.

Only couple of times used "max AC" to cool it down when it stayed on sun but it never did do that job quick in all cars I have driven so for me works 10-15mins of 17 celsius then back 25-26 celsius.. in case when weather is about 35 celsius outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #75
Kevlars
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Never buy a first year model from BMW/Audi/MB. In most cases there are some meaningful issues early on which are fixed later. It's best to wait for the LCI, but at the very least avoid the first year, read the forums, and wait until the issues are identified and addressed by the manufacturer before buying.
On software and lower priced vehicles sure. But on a 60k+ vehicle? BMW no less, on air conditioner ? Sorry can't get on board with that. In my opinion the car is flawless except for the air, granted I only have 1079 miles.

BMW needs to fix this... I get into my Jeep and bang nice high volume freezing air in 110 degree heat.

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #76
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Btw what about ambient air package? Can make it worse/better?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #77
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Set upper body controls to neutral

I wanted to share what I learned from a thread on bimmerfest.com regarding the air conditioning. It turns out that BMW is using a new logic and this is why they have removed the upper body rolling wheel and buried it in to the iDrive . Contrary to everyone's suggestion, adjust the upper body or face ventilation to neutral.

Then set the system to automatic and Max fan speed - set temp to 69° and you'll find that the system will no longer blow hot air on your legs and will actually perform similar to the systems found in a 2016 BMW. The above suggested temperature was used on a day that was 85° outside.

Give it a try and post your results. Good luck
2007 X3 MSport - retired
1995 M3 - retired
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 02:56 AM   #78
Motorboat411
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Had my car for a week now, no issues with AC or ventilation. Key thing to remember is that there are additional vents for upper body behind the Nav screen - that blow air in your direction. So while it Feels as if there is less air coming out of the front dash vents the top vents are making up for it.

If you think about it, its actually better since instead of getting air blasted at a certain part of your body from one vent, now you have two to spread it out and have more even cooling effect.

My SA did mention a couple of complains about AC, however, he said those were related to rocks hitting the condenser and causing gas leaks. I suspect few people here with complains might have the same issue.

Oh and I do have the dashboard crackling issue but its been hot here lately and ideally a luxury sedan should Not have such issues but I can live with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #79
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
I c.. how bad is the AC in real? I mean I usually set my AC to 24/25 celsius because I dont like so much cold air in car.

Only couple of times used "max AC" to cool it down when it stayed on sun but it never did do that job quick in all cars I have driven so for me works 10-15mins of 17 celsius then back 25-26 celsius.. in case when weather is about 35 celsius outside.
To be clear, My AC does work. Cold air comes out, this car just has a hard time cooling down, especially when car has been sitting is sun all day. Never had this problem before in a car I owned. I know someone who had this problem in his MB, he got rid of it. I have owned 7 different BMW's over last 25 years, I never experienced anything like this. My compressor is fine, my fan is fine, everything is fine. This is how Bmw engineers designed the system, and it is flaw.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #80
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Alright. Time will show. I am looking forward for mine.. damn its so long I offered it. Since Feb!! I will make a review after I get it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #81
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
To be clear, My AC does work. Cold air comes out, this car just has a hard time cooling down, especially when car has been sitting is sun all day. Never had this problem before in a car I owned. I know someone who had this problem in his MB, he got rid of it. I have owned 7 different BMW's over last 25 years, I never experienced anything like this. My compressor is fine, my fan is fine, everything is fine. This is how Bmw engineers designed the system, and it is flaw.
Is your car tinted? I don't know why climate windscreen or whatever it's called is no longer an option. Used to have it on various BMWs and they work great alongside tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #82
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Is your car tinted? I don't know why climate windscreen or whatever it's called is no longer an option. Used to have it on various BMWs and they work great alongside tint.
Not allowed to tint windows anymore in NY thanks to our a hole governor.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #83
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not allowed to tint windows anymore in NY thanks to our a hole governor.
Here only rear
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #84
Motorboat411
Private
Rep

Today it was hotter and AC in Auto mode is definitely uncomfortable. I set the Intensity to max and even dropped temp a couple of degrees from my usual setting. Still my back was sweaty and air speed was very low. Definitely an issue with BMWs new algorithms!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #85
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
Today it was hotter and AC in Auto mode is definitely uncomfortable. I set the Intensity to max and even dropped temp a couple of degrees from my usual setting. Still my back was sweaty and air speed was very low. Definitely an issue with BMWs new algorithms!
I tried this from a suggestion on this forum with a few tweaks and seems to have help. Best setting I have found so Far. Upper vent scroll wheel, only click down 1 bar on cold. In auto, set the fan to 2 bar only. The air will only come out the front vents and it will be very cold. I found that the more you increased fan setting in auto, the ac blew harder but the air wasn't cold. keeping the setting low, blows a less forceful air, but a much colder air. With this setting, I actually increased my temp from 65 to 67 and it was 90 degrees outside.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #86
Motorboat411
Private
Rep

Quote:
I tried this from a suggestion on this forum with a few tweaks and seems to have help. Best setting I have found so Far. Upper vent scroll wheel, only click down 1 bar on cold. In auto, set the fan to 2 bar only. The air will only come out the front vents and it will be very cold. I found that the more you increased fan setting in auto, the ac blew harder but the air wasn't cold. keeping the setting low, blows a less forceful air, but a much colder air. With this setting, I actually increased my temp from 65 to 67 and it was 90 degrees outside.
My problem is Not that fan doesn't blow cold air. It's that the fan slows down way too much. I returned my F10 last week and in 3 years I never had to go past 3rd fan speed in Auto mode. Today I had my G30 fan/program intensity set to Max but fan was blowing as if its set to 1 and car definitely wasn't cool/comfortable.

I feel as if the climate control isn't taking into account solar radiation correctly because at night the car does feel comfortable. It's only during daytime that I find the climate control lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #87
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have not entered in to I-Drive Menu regarding A/C settings but temperature was set at 16 C and exterior was around 28 C ,I had to increase the temperature at 20 C which I normally choose by default . Fan speed was set at maximum and I reduced it no less than 2 bars from maximum setting as well .
I think my A/C works fine but for verdict I will dig into more settings in I-Drive Menu to see what kind of settings did the car come with from the factory
      07-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #88
540Island
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fanatic View Post
Spent over an hour at my service center today after they told me that the car was no longer exhibiting the loss air flow during throttle input scenario.

They stated that it only does this in 110+ plus heat, its been a bit cooler than that during this week.

I went during the hottest part of the day and asked my service rep if he would come with me on a drive around the block before I decided on taking the car home. He agreed and so we went to see if the care exhibited any of the fluctuation in the air flow.

I have to say, it felt so good to be in my 5 after a week in a half of the X1 loaner!

Temp outside was registered at 109 degrees in my car. A/C was set a MAX Air.

Within 100 yards of moving, yes the volume of air being pushed out of the vent decreased, not nearly as much as it was doing on the 119 degree days, but it still did it. I was about to accept the small drop as we proceeded, but then we turned a corner and I accelerated just a little bit harder and it happened to a much greater degree. Barely any air was coming from the vents, after about 10 seconds it started building up again.

I was trying to decide if I should just take my 5 back and wait for BMW to solve the issue. I almost did, but ultimately decided, it was staying in their shop and I drove the X1 loaner back home.

Very disappointed in the fact that my car (and others) have this issue. I really like the car. Driving it again made me remember why I liked it so much, despite some of the minor annoyances.

I am keeping it at the dealership until BMW can solve the issue, or the timing allows for an alternate approach.

I understand there are a number of 5's out there that are not having the issues at all. Excellent! I am happy that its not impacting all of the cars. But there are examples the new 5 out there that are having consistent, repeatable problems. I wish my car was not one of them.
Any news? My dealer isn't keeping me in the loop