BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Sandstorm - Delivery Cancelled

04-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
abu el banat
Rep
Drives: A6

Sandstorm - Delivery Cancelled

Hi - 1st post on this forum.... have been lurking for a few months since ordering a G30 last November.

Company car ordered via a fleet company in the UK - so I have little detail on the actual specifics - other than build date was late Feb for anticipated delivery to me in late March. I'm in Scotland.

Bluestone, ivory. 19" wheels. Tech pack, Driving assistant +, plus a few other smaller optional upgrades.

Mid March I was told it would likely be early April. Early April I was given a delivery date to me of 19th April via a dealership in England. A couple of days later I was told that due to 'quality issues' identified during transit that the delivery date had been cancelled and I would be advised shortly of a new date. The quality issues, upon me querying, were apparently down to a sandstorm at the port of exit (which I've since been told is Cuxhaven in Germany).

On Monday of this week, after hearing nothing else I fired off an email asking for further details and a likely new date - the reply was that my car has been written off by BMW as 'unsellable' due to the sandstorm.

(!)

I've googled and found reference to a sandstorm delaying delivery of vehicles in March/April

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...es?language=en

Have to say I'm rather incredulous that this would result in the vehicle being written off. Anyone got any experience of this? I'm only able to go on what I'm told by the fleet company - who in turn are getting their info I presume from the dealership where the order was placed.

What I do find strange is that I was offered and confirmed a date of delivery - based I believed on the fact that the vehicle was now at the dealership - they talked about needing 5 days notice to arrange a low-loader etc. I'm now to believe that all the while - presumably since mid-late March that the car has been irreparably damaged in a sandstorm on mainland Europe....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Sandstorm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Sandstorm

Hello
To confirm I am also going through the same issue with a dealer in Leamington Spa.
I am very unhappy with the situation and I have asked for more clarification and certainly some sort of reassurance and compensation if I go ahead with my car

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Sorry to hear this guys. Not a great feeling when you've probably been looking forward to it. Hope it'll get resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
chriss88
Rep
Drives: G30 530e SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu el banat View Post
Hi - 1st post on this forum.... have been lurking for a few months since ordering a G30 last November.

Company car ordered via a fleet company in the UK - so I have little detail on the actual specifics - other than build date was late Feb for anticipated delivery to me in late March. I'm in Scotland.

Bluestone, ivory. 19" wheels. Tech pack, Driving assistant +, plus a few other smaller optional upgrades.

Mid March I was told it would likely be early April. Early April I was given a delivery date to me of 19th April via a dealership in England. A couple of days later I was told that due to 'quality issues' identified during transit that the delivery date had been cancelled and I would be advised shortly of a new date. The quality issues, upon me querying, were apparently down to a sandstorm at the port of exit (which I've since been told is Cuxhaven in Germany).

On Monday of this week, after hearing nothing else I fired off an email asking for further details and a likely new date - the reply was that my car has been written off by BMW as 'unsellable' due to the sandstorm.

(!)

I've googled and found reference to a sandstorm delaying delivery of vehicles in March/April

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...es?language=en

Have to say I'm rather incredulous that this would result in the vehicle being written off. Anyone got any experience of this? I'm only able to go on what I'm told by the fleet company - who in turn are getting their info I presume from the dealership where the order was placed.

What I do find strange is that I was offered and confirmed a date of delivery - based I believed on the fact that the vehicle was now at the dealership - they talked about needing 5 days notice to arrange a low-loader etc. I'm now to believe that all the while - presumably since mid-late March that the car has been irreparably damaged in a sandstorm on mainland Europe....
Hi,
It sounds like mine rolled off the production line at the same time as yours! I too ordered November and have been tracking its progress with BMW Genius tentatively. I was initially told a delivery date in March, which slipped to April with no movement except its at the port of exit for nearly a month!

I was so eager for it to get moving as it appeared stuck at the port. However they were unable to tell me other than what status it is. First I was told due at dealer the 12th, then 19th then 26th April.

Mine too is leased through my employer so its quite difficult to get in depth details about what is going on, no-body will speak to me. I was lucky that when the sourced dealer sent me an email direct to complete the OLEV grant form they included the BMW order number on the subject. Other than that I and other colleagues who ordered their cars slightly before and after me were refused this information as the order wasn't ours rather the leasing companies.

Roll on 20th April I got a phone call out of the blue to arrange delivery on the 4th May, queue excitement and me cancelling all my hire car bookings for after this date. (I haven't had a car since March and have been in a hire car since due to my personal lease on my last car coming to an end. I've been booking cancellable rentals in week chunks not knowing when the car was coming.)
It wasn't long lasting as it was followed by another call on the Monday morning to say its being delayed due to a re-call. Thats all the info our scheme administrators were told.

I'm now in a hired 320d at the expense of BMW, not the dealer or the lease scheme administrators which is leading me to become highly suspicious! I'm glad I stumbled on your post as quite a picture is building.
I was told that it ...might... be my car on this Friday at last contact with them last Thursday, but they didn't sound too hopeful or tell me what has happened with my car.
So at the moment I have a hire car paid for by BMW with an open end date on it which is costing them £72 a day, waiting to hear more. I do appreciate them offering this, but do expect they should be more honest about what is going on.

I'm hoping to get more info from them if I call tomorrow, but I feel like I should insist to know what the hold up is for. If the car has been damaged in some way and I take delivery I would like to know that it has been repaired to as new condition or if there will be any issues caused by what ever it has been delayed for further down the line.

Keep us updated if you find out any more! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Sandstorm
Registered
Rep

Sandstorm

I have just had a call from the dealer saying my car is ready but I’m pushing back saying I don’t want it now. I want a another one or a very good deal and no come backs with the one I bought if I do go ahead.
They are panicking and want to take me for a coffee lol I will be standing my ground as I also have a car loaned to me by the dealer.
It’s been a shambles and very poor. I feel I’ve been lied to and disrespected

I’ll keep you updated
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
Kai Olsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i AUT

Cuxhaven Sandstorm

I was promised my new BMW around April 1'st. As I received no info from BMW, I called them and got the information that my car had been slightly damaged in Cuxhaven. No indication of the damage character. A week later I called again, and this time I got the highly surprising info that a sandstorm in Cuxhaven had damaged 450 cars and that mine was amongst these cars. I searched the internet and found a website from Bild in Germany:
https://www.bild.de/regional/bremen/...4138.bild.html
The pictures show sand dunes at more than wheels height!!
It is easy to imagine that fine sand is now located in all systems of the car: Brakes, Ventilation, Air-intake and so on!
How these cars can be classified as new cars, is hard to understand.
I know that BMW cannot be blamed for this sandstorm. But I have ordered a brand new car. Not a sandblasted one. The question is, should I reject to receive it as a new car??
Kai Olsen
Denmark
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:55 AM   #7
macker13
Registered
Rep
Drives: M140i Shadow Edition

same problem

Ordered my M140i SE on the 4/4/18

Told it would be 2 weeks and then I'd get my car as it is in stock.

Still not got my car due to the sandstorm issue. Very poor customer service from BMW. They even tried to blame the lease company saying "I'm sorry you are disappointed with your lease company"...I was like "er what, its not their fault you haven't provided my car to me"

they should at least be able to give a date for delivery and commit to getting the cars checked, washed and cleaned by that date.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
TryHarder
Registered
Rep
Drives: On Order

Same Story too

Ordered my car on 11/04/18 in stock in Germany delivery 27th Apr paid deposit etc. Dealer confirmed delivery date sent bank details for me to transfer the balance. Then delivery date missed dealer informs me Car stuck in this mess and can't as yet give me any more information.

Call BMW UK this morning same story, I asked how the car can possibly have been sold to me on the 11th when they know which are the affected chassis numbers, surely its reasonable to assume nearly a month after the incident their computer system should not still be listing cars for sale awaiting inspection and decision to write off. Someone was calling me back to answer this question but no one as yet has.

BMW group has informed investors that this 'small' incident may affect their precious April sales figures, heaven forbid the 4 circles or 3 pointed star overtake them.

BMW seem to have completely forgotten that at the end of their automated supply chain there are actually real people spending their own money and don't expect them to take orders for 'ghost' vehicles !

Not good is it ? the original problem is a freak accident fair enough but to carry on taking orders for these cars is very naughty indeed.

Last edited by TryHarder; 05-02-2018 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #9
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

I'm also in the same situation with a G31, ordered 15th March told vehicle was in stock and delivery by 15th April. 1st week of April I was notified of an issue and was told my car was on a ship that had encountered heavy seas and a number of cars were damaged so returned to Germany. Last week I was told my car was now in the UK but unable to provide an ETA for delivery. I chased again today for an update and was told there are 3000 cars caught up in this mess and they are going through Quality Control in the UK but in know particular order.

I'm so glad I found this thread as I was beginning to suspect that my car was never in stock and was a factory order.

Lets keep this thread going with whatever we can find out from our dealers.

Just to add BMW have provided me with a Loan car to keep me mobile as I had to return my previous car by mid April.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
chriss88
Rep
Drives: G30 530e SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
I have just had a call from the dealer saying my car is ready but I’m pushing back saying I don’t want it now. I want a another one or a very good deal and no come backs with the one I bought if I do go ahead.
They are panicking and want to take me for a coffee lol I will be standing my ground as I also have a car loaned to me by the dealer.
It’s been a shambles and very poor. I feel I’ve been lied to and disrespected

I’ll keep you updated
What model did you go for Sandstorm? (nice name) Did you get confirmation on the issue which was affecting yours, judging by your name I may have already answered my question.

Update on my car, called the lease administrators who in turn contacted the dealer and they denied all knowledge of my car being affected by the issue at the port. Still saying that it is a re-call and it can't be released by BMW to the dealer till its fixed, no further information offered to what the re-call was actually for.
Mine was for a 530e SE, 2 colleagues have ordered the M Sport model. One took delivery 3 weeks ago and the 2nd due to get his next week. Maybe I just got unlucky or something specific to the SE thought they would be very similar apart from the cosmetics, suspension and seats.

I'm just going to wait it out now and wait for the call to arrange delivery as I'm told I can keep the hire car they're paying for till its all resolved. Its may or may not prompt them to sort it as it is costing them, who knows. You can bet I'm going to be going over it with a fine tooth-comb before I sign anything though!

Kai Olsen - Great research, never occurred to me to start looking for German language reports, quite the sandstorm if the pictures are to be believed. I just imagined some sandblasting damage, not all that volume of sand!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
abu el banat
Rep
Drives: A6

Glad this thread has received some replies.

So - my update. Having stewed about this debacle for a few days last week I ended up writing to the one contact I had who had BMW in their email signature - still a fleet employee but BMW buyer I believe. I got tore in, asked for further details, pictures, a better explanation than the one they'd provided and essentially questioned the validity of what I'd been told.

I got no reply, however I got a phone call from someone at BMW Corporate last Friday who had been passed my email. He stated that the 'sandstorm' wasn't a helpful description, and agreed that more info should have been forthcoming. The sand was apparently blown through the cars from construction activity at the port (thanks for the link above, great seeing some actual pictures as evidence). He indicated that some cars were able to be deemed fit, others repaired, and mine would be going back to the factory and potentially used as parts - essentially it was deemed unsellable in it's current state.

I queried how I had got to the point of being offered a delivery date of 2 weeks hence, and was led to believe that my car was at the dealership in Chelmsford. The 'storm' seems to have predated the offer of delivery. He couldn't answer why this happened - he said that BMW were in discussion with their transport partners as to the whole issue of liability. I had already been offered a hire vehicle - which I said I wanted - he suggested to me that most people would simply extend their lease on their company car (which would obviously suit him) however I indicated that I had no intention of continuing to pay tax on a 5yr old A6 so would gratefully receive their offer of a hire car, which apparently arrives next week.

I was originally told of an August date for my re-order - during this phonecall I was told that due to the circumstances I had been bumped up the queue and that my order now had a chassis number meaning my car would be built in the next 7-10 days and would hopefully ship late May/early June. Frustratingly I also have got no access to the system to track it's progress as I'm presumably not deemed a paying customer....

I can accept that things happen in transit - very disappointed however in the communication - by both BMW and Inchcape.

I hope the others affected get a resolution to their satisfaction. If I was buying outright I'd certainly be looking for some form of acknowledgement and offer of compensation....... i'm not one to go looking for freebies, but if I was paying £45k+ for my car to be treated rather poorly the least I would expect is for them to be proactive and address it.

Will update as it develops.... would be keen to hear how the others get on....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #12
midas_27
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d m sport

BMW g30 delay- cancelled delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
Hello
To confirm I am also going through the same issue with a dealer in Leamington Spa.
I am very unhappy with the situation and I have asked for more clarification and certainly some sort of reassurance and compensation if I go ahead with my car

Thanks

Hi Sandstorm- have you heard any updates on your vehicle?

I had also ordered my vehicle middle of march

I was told it was in stock thus would receive in a matter of weeks.

Much to my disappointment this was not the case.

I was then inform it was still at the Port due to the sandstorm issue.

Out of the blue last week I was given a delivery date of 2nd May. The day before delivery I was given phone call to say that delivery had been cancelled and I would remain in their loan car until further notice.

I was perplexed, and ask for the reason why and I was told that the car needs further quality control checks.

This does not instil confidence in me, as I am concerned what kind of damage may have been caused by the sandstorm.

The communication has been poor between the dealer and BMW UK. After this situation I am considering if I will deal with BMW again.

The professionalism has been very poor as well as transparency.

The only way I was able to get this information was through BMW UK, not even the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
TryHarder
Registered
Rep

BMW UK called me back, and told me that I have to got the dealer for updates, I said but they have no updates.

They can't tell me where it is or whether its been inspected or any idea of timescales, seems they are just processing them one at a time.

The only interesting thing she did say was that the dealer should have been aware of delivery delays as I ordered it on the 11th Apr and this matter was known of at that time.

Ive been offered a loan car, which Ive declined because I'm trying to decide whether to cancel the order, but they have my deposit and signed order not sure where I stand.

Seems like a shambles from a modern luxury car manufacturer, that started 18th March and still lacking in project management resource.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
Sandstorm
Registered
Rep

Sandstorm

Hi everyone
I am speaking to the dealer on Friday who says my car is ready and I’ve told them that’s it’s not good enough and I either have another new car. Compensation on the current one. A better model or I walk away with compensation and buy another car somewhere else. I’m currently borrowing one of their cars free of charge so I’m in no hurry lol. I’ll update you all later
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:38 AM   #15
midas_27
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d m sport

Hi All,

I also have had a call this morning. I have been advised that the ETA of my vehicle is 23rd of may :/... this is surprising as I should have been driving it on the 2nd May. I am not sure where the car is located, as I was led to believe it was at the dealers but needed a QC check before it could be sent over to me. This has dragged on far too long...for all I know the may have been written off and they are trying to buy time!.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 06:48 AM   #16
macker13
Registered
Rep

sandstorm delays

interesting day yesterday and day before.

Wednesday 2pm: was getting frustrated at all the delays so spoke to online chat BMWUK Genius. They looked at chassis number and said car was at the dealers and they will contact me for delivery date.

Thursday 11am: spoke to BMWUK genius online chat as dealer said its not in stock. BMWUK say that it's still in Southampton and hasn't gone through quality control. I get angry and say this is pathetic customer service being told so many stories. The BMW genius agrees and gives me a complaints procedure link. He says car will be ready in 2 weeks (mid May)

Thursday 14:00 speak to lease company and they say they've had an update from BMW UK saying car will be released 31/5/18 and delivered mid June! contradicting again what I had been told. I ask to cancel the order and re order as the lease company let slip that there are stock cars available. They then say no I cant do that as the car I've signed up to is now registered.

I am really really peed off with BMW. Their complaints dept is going to get a hairdryer treatment letter once I've received the car. I was supposed to get in 2nd week of April and it will be mid June. New number plate will be 3 months old and the car will be soiled from everyone going over it with a fine toothcomb to get rid of dust.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #17
Deano_uk
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 5 Series Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker13 View Post
interesting day yesterday and day before.

Wednesday 2pm: was getting frustrated at all the delays so spoke to online chat BMWUK Genius. They looked at chassis number and said car was at the dealers and they will contact me for delivery date.

Thursday 11am: spoke to BMWUK genius online chat as dealer said its not in stock. BMWUK say that it's still in Southampton and hasn't gone through quality control. I get angry and say this is pathetic customer service being told so many stories. The BMW genius agrees and gives me a complaints procedure link. He says car will be ready in 2 weeks (mid May)

Thursday 14:00 speak to lease company and they say they've had an update from BMW UK saying car will be released 31/5/18 and delivered mid June! contradicting again what I had been told. I ask to cancel the order and re order as the lease company let slip that there are stock cars available. They then say no I cant do that as the car I've signed up to is now registered.

I am really really peed off with BMW. Their complaints dept is going to get a hairdryer treatment letter once I've received the car. I was supposed to get in 2nd week of April and it will be mid June. New number plate will be 3 months old and the car will be soiled from everyone going over it with a fine toothcomb to get rid of dust.
In exactly the same boat. Which lease company and BMW dealer is it if you don’t mind sharing?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #18
TryHarder
Registered
Rep

So Today’s update is car is in inspection and should be with dealer in a couple of weeks, that is I guess if it’s ok to go to the dealer, who knows.

So I’m not going to waste my time worrying about this anymore I’ll wait and see if it ever actually gets to dealer and if it does take a look and see if I think it’s ok, if not get another one, with all this lack of information I’m just letting it wind me up life’s too short it’s just a car and a choice, could have been handled better but that’s life these days, we are all just numbers on a spreadsheet in Germany don’t think BMW are going to worry too much they delivered 256k cars in March this 4000 is just a little hiccup.

Have a good bank holiday all.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
leachp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520

Glad I found this forum. Same issues, car ordered mid December with lease company, took a 2 week delay in build then was held for 6 weeks awaiting transportation from port of exit. Arrived into UK 6 weeks ago to be then told it was being held for quality checks. No one at BMW would provide any updates. Someone then advised of a sandstorm but wouldn’t provide any further detail. Car was due March 1st and they cannot provide a date now. They have arranged a car for me to have (320d) until mine arrives and this has been hired for me until the end of July!! They are literally useless and the information and customer service has been appalling. Tried to cancel from lease company but they advised there would be an early termination fee to the company i work for, so they literally have us over a barrel.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #20
Sandstorm
Registered
Rep

Sandstorm

The update is that I’ve accepted compensation for this debacle and confirmed that I will be picking up my new car in a couple of weeks time. All warranties etc are still valid so hopefully this will be the end of it.
Good luck everyone with your deals.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #21
macker13
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano_uk View Post
In exactly the same boat. Which lease company and BMW dealer is it if you don’t mind sharing?
select car leasing via BMW Park Lane

BMW have offered a meal up to the value of £150... unsure whether to accept or wait and see how long the delay ends up being
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #22
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by macker13 View Post
select car leasing via BMW Park Lane

BMW have offered a meal up to the value of £150... unsure whether to accept or wait and see how long the delay ends up being
That does not seem proportional. I'd say at least £500 cash - more like £1k!
Appreciate 0