BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Sandstorm - Delivery Cancelled

07-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #45
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu el banat View Post
Hi - 1st post on this forum.... have been lurking for a few months since ordering a G30 last November.

Company car ordered via a fleet company in the UK - so I have little detail on the actual specifics - other than build date was late Feb for anticipated delivery to me in late March. I'm in Scotland.

Bluestone, ivory. 19" wheels. Tech pack, Driving assistant +, plus a few other smaller optional upgrades.

Mid March I was told it would likely be early April. Early April I was given a delivery date to me of 19th April via a dealership in England. A couple of days later I was told that due to 'quality issues' identified during transit that the delivery date had been cancelled and I would be advised shortly of a new date. The quality issues, upon me querying, were apparently down to a sandstorm at the port of exit (which I've since been told is Cuxhaven in Germany).

On Monday of this week, after hearing nothing else I fired off an email asking for further details and a likely new date - the reply was that my car has been written off by BMW as 'unsellable' due to the sandstorm.

(!)

I've googled and found reference to a sandstorm delaying delivery of vehicles in March/April

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...es?language=en

Have to say I'm rather incredulous that this would result in the vehicle being written off. Anyone got any experience of this? I'm only able to go on what I'm told by the fleet company - who in turn are getting their info I presume from the dealership where the order was placed.

What I do find strange is that I was offered and confirmed a date of delivery - based I believed on the fact that the vehicle was now at the dealership - they talked about needing 5 days notice to arrange a low-loader etc. I'm now to believe that all the while - presumably since mid-late March that the car has been irreparably damaged in a sandstorm on mainland Europe....
I remember a similar problem at the German deportation site a couple of years ago. It might have been hail.
Appreciate 0