BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540I Stolen from Driveway without keys

09-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

540I Stolen from Driveway without keys

Not the post I wanted to be writing but I was awoken this morning to the police knocking on my door.

My 2017 540I has been stolen from my drive and used in a burglary.

It had comfort access and was stolen without the keys. This was in Sheffield, UK.

Keys were left no where near the front door and were hidden so still no idea how the stole it. Also I’ve no idea how they started it without anybody hearing it.

Only had the car 3 months.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:40 AM   #2
Magic-gnome
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 530xi G31

Sorry to hear that, the car look great! You could prevent the Comfort Access hack by using a box that block the signal to the keys when you're home:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=keyless...nb_sb_ss_i_2_7

The hack is probably so-called "Relay attack":

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #3
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

BMW will upgrade your key fob at cost ( aboutŁ250) by replacing it with one that goes to sleep after 2 minutes. This defeats the scam you were subject to.
It's a beautiful looking car and hope you got it back in one piece. Do stump up and get the faraday bag or a replacement set of fobs

Last edited by Dephead2004; 09-10-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:07 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I hope bmw are supplying new cars with this upgraded fob going forward?

Is this scan just limited to those cars with comfort access?
Appreciate 1
A6bullet337.00
      09-10-2020, 04:08 AM   #5
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Really sorry to hear that, OP. Hope you get it back in one piece.

Can anyone advise - is it just the comfort access feature that makes this sort of theft possible? We have a 540I on order and didn’t spec the comfort access because I was nervous about this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:22 AM   #6
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I believe it is the comfort access.

The thing that supprised me was that the keys were about 8m away from the car next to a very large fridge...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Sorry to hear. You can get bmw to reprogramme the key fob so it deactivate after two mins of no movement so no signal emitted.

How far away was the key away from the walls of your house. As they would have used a relay against your wall?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Sorry to hear. You can get bmw to reprogramme the key fob so it deactivate after two mins of no movement so no signal emitted.

How far away was the key away from the walls of your house. As they would have used a relay against your wall?
Wish I had known that before

The main key was in the middle of a utility room.

I have a horrible feeling it might have been the spare key as that was on the top floor of the house, but near the front wall. In terms of distance, that was probably the closest key at 4-5m away.

Just a note to anybody thinking it doesn't happen - it does, get those faraday boxes and bags and put all of your keys in them...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Re those faraday boxes and bags just check they actually work from time to time. I.e. go to your car with the key in faraday bag and check you can’t open car. I have heard they stop working from time to time!

So sorry to hear about your situation.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I hope bmw are supplying new cars with this upgraded fob going forward? They are. The offer is for older always on fobs

Is this scan just limited to those cars with comfort access?
yes
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Are you sure that trick works for an older fob?. I looked into it with a very helpful dealership and they advised I'd need new fobs which require programming to the car and have the relevant circuitry to send the fob to sleep after 2 mins. BMW would subsidise this at a cost mentioned above
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Are you sure that trick works for an older fob?. I looked into it with a very helpful dealership and they advised I'd need new fobs which require programming to the car and have the relevant circuitry to send the fob to sleep after 2 mins. BMW would subsidise this at a cost mentioned above
It's needs to a g series fob. Can't do it with f series I believe

Actually Re G series I believe it had to be after a certain production year. Think April 18??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Sorry to here and see this mate

It was only the other day we were talking about diffusers!

Your car is a spitting image of mine.

Have they recovered the car or were you just informed it was involved in a burglary?

question for all:

The display key has a power button that turns it off. Does this just turn off the display or does it stop the key from broadcasting a signal too? I usually leave the car key near the front door. If they want to come into the house, they can have the key and car. Don't want them coming upstairs when the family are asleep.

I have GAP on the car and also a stoplock pro elite, for peace of mind and also a visual deterrent.

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:38 PM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Interesting to me that there appears to be more auto theft in the UK than in the USA. Given all the talk about crime in the US, I would have expected the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #15
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's needs to a g series fob. Can't do it with f series I believe

Actually Re G series I believe it had to be after a certain production year. Think April 18??
My info relates to my MY 2018
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:48 AM   #16
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Interesting to me that there appears to be more auto theft in the UK than in the USA. Given all the talk about crime in the US, I would have expected the opposite.
Cars are flown abroad within hours in containers or broken for spares. At least this was just used for a burglary and not a ram raid AFAIK
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 01:54 AM   #17
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

question for all:

The display key has a power button that turns it off. Does this just turn off the display or does it stop the key from broadcasting a signal too? I usually leave the car key near the front door. If they want to come into the house, they can have the key and car. Don't want them coming upstairs when the family are asleep.

I have GAP on the car and also a stoplock pro elite, for peace of mind and also a visual deterrent.
The display key should ‘go to sleep’ after 2 minutes. Best way to ensure that is correct is lock the car, put the key on the bonnet or roof, wait 3 minutes and try to open the door. My keys for a Nov 19 530e do this.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      09-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #18
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm getting very little information from the Police.

I got the most information from the neighbour who phoned the police after he saw my car parked outside his house - it was just round the corner from my house.

Apparently 2 blokes in the car, one kept getting out and running down an alley. I've asked around the area and there are no reports of a burglary just a laptop and some device was seen in there hand.

I'm thinking they were parked there while they were removing my sons car seat from the front seat and the isofix bases from the back. Then the alley was used to drop of the laptop to another car... There must have also been disabling the GPS tracking that was enabled in the car.

The police officers who are dealing with the case are now on holiday - so not going to hear anything for at least a week. But got a friend who works for the same police force so he is going to update me... He has said, it was definitely targeted and they were after the car. The fact that the remote tracking was disabled instantly means they knew what they were doing. I'm sure it took me about 20 minutes to find that option in the iDrive settings.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
I'm getting very little information from the Police.

I got the most information from the neighbour who phoned the police after he saw my car parked outside his house - it was just round the corner from my house.

Apparently 2 blokes in the car, one kept getting out and running down an alley. I've asked around the area and there are no reports of a burglary just a laptop and some device was seen in there hand.

I'm thinking they were parked there while they were removing my sons car seat from the front seat and the isofix bases from the back. Then the alley was used to drop of the laptop to another car... There must have also been disabling the GPS tracking that was enabled in the car.

The police officers who are dealing with the case are now on holiday - so not going to hear anything for at least a week. But got a friend who works for the same police force so he is going to update me... He has said, it was definitely targeted and they were after the car. The fact that the remote tracking was disabled instantly means they knew what they were doing. I'm sure it took me about 20 minutes to find that option in the iDrive settings.
The laptop and other device are the two parts of the kit used to open the vehicle and drive it away. They may well now have a copy of your key, so it might be best to buy a steering wheel lock or change the key and all the coding in the vehicle to another fob, as I suggested.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

OP, sorry to hear about this, it really sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Per capita, I don't think crime in the USA is all that bad (depends on where you live, natch).

I also suspect that the majority of USA BMW 5 series owners have a garage, whereas it seems to be much less common in the UK and in Europe to have a garage.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #21
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
OP, sorry to hear about this, it really sucks!

Per capita, I don't think crime in the USA is all that bad (depends on where you live, natch).

I also suspect that the majority of USA BMW 5 series owners have a garage, whereas it seems to be much less common in the UK and in Europe to have a garage.
Car crime in the UK really isn't that bad either, but when it does occur, it is probably more common with higher value vehicles. We have seen a spate of thefts relating to vehicles with keyless entry in recent years, but I'm guessing that's true everywhere - I doubt our car thieves are any more sophisticated than anyone else's!

The garage thing is definitely true though. In my experience, even when people do have garages in the UK, they don't always use them for their cars. Our whole street has them, but almost everyone leaves their cars on their driveway.

I suspect this is down to a) people having too much other crap in their garage and b) very few people having automated garage doors, making getting the car in and out of the garage is a bit of a nuisance. I fall into both categories!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #22
Deathstar
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d M Sport

I no it does not help now, but at others have said get a faraday pouch and get a Stop Lock Elite.
I am using both, and hoping that the Stop Lock will act as a visual deterrent.
The downside is, if they are wanting it they will break in.
Though I am hoping the M6 and the Macan around the corner maybe of more interest.
Appreciate 0