BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540I Stolen from Driveway without keys

09-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #23
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Often stolen to order for the car or the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I hope CarMakers are thinking of more solutions than just the key shutoff we're seeing that was added at some point (where it shuts off it is isn't moved).

The relay attacks have been well published and will only pick up I'm sure.

The OP mentioned that the location services were disabled from inside the car. Does that also cover BMW Stolen Car Recovery services? I know you can disable a lot in the vehicle, but I'd imagine you can't disable that feature from inside the car. Perhaps they allow that to be disabled in the UK, but not the US from inside the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
Car crime in the UK really isn't that bad either, but when it does occur, it is probably more common with higher value vehicles. We have seen a spate of thefts relating to vehicles with keyless entry in recent years, but I'm guessing that's true everywhere - I doubt our car thieves are any more sophisticated than anyone else's!

The garage thing is definitely true though. In my experience, even when people do have garages in the UK, they don't always use them for their cars. Our whole street has them, but almost everyone leaves their cars on their driveway.

I suspect this is down to a) people having too much other crap in their garage and b) very few people having automated garage doors, making getting the car in and out of the garage is a bit of a nuisance. I fall into both categories!
It probably has a lot to do with the crackdowns that have happened over the years in the US and the island reality we have (I know the UK is an island too...). Here in the US car theft is down quite a lot from historical peaks and the cars that are stolen tend to be cheaper older model cars with less tech in them. I wonder if it is due to it being easier in the UK to potentially steal a car and sell it in the EU or something compared here where theft DBs and such are national. No idea.

I'm in my 30s, but I don't know anyone in my friends group or living around me who has had their car stolen. I live in a major city and street park.

Car windows broken and stuff taken out? Yep. Car stolen? Nope.

When car theft does make it onto the news here it is almost always someone leaving their keys in the car as they run into a store and it gets stolen or (rarely) a car jacking.

But that's all anecdotal. HLDS has some data on what cars are being stolen and how often in the US.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/dod...tolen-vehicles
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 02:45 AM   #25
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Try these

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/oneo-driv...ch-2-pack.html
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #26
1newbmwowner
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear your story. It was disturbing to learn about the relay hack. I'm going to ask my dealer if this potential threat is an issue with the 2021 models.

I just took delivery of a 2021 M550i in bluestone metallic that looks very much like your car. It gets parked in my locked garage every night. I have a home alarm and motion detecting cameras inside and outside of the house including one in the garage.

I hope that you get you ride back in good condition.

Bud
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #27
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1newbmwowner View Post
Sorry to hear your story. It was disturbing to learn about the relay hack. I'm going to ask my dealer if this potential threat is an issue with the 2021 models.

I just took delivery of a 2021 M550i in bluestone metallic that looks very much like your car. It gets parked in my locked garage every night. I have a home alarm and motion detecting cameras inside and outside of the house including one in the garage.

I hope that you get you ride back in good condition.

Bud
In 2018 BMW "addressed" the issue by making the key fob turn itself off if it isn't moved for more than 2 minutes. So a MY2021 would be safe as long as you don't leave your keys in your pocket and carry them around your house (which is easy to do with Comfort Access!).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #28
bk550ny
Rep
Drives: bmw m550xi

Anyone have their fobs reprogrammed in the US I've seen these videos and was gonna buy a radio blocking bag for the keys
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #29
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Sorry to read that your car was stolen.
Even though key goes in to sleep mode, it is advisable to keep keys in faraday pouch or a simple steel jar as this would block signals.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #30
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 3.0d M-Sport

No sign of my car, its not hit any cameras. No word from the police either.

I would honestly say anybody who believes their keys will go to sleep and can't be stolen this way needs to think again.

I was told the keys had to be near the front door for them to go, but this is rubbish, those attacks can pick up the keys 10m away.

Ghost security and leaving your keys in and all of your keys in a faraday pouch or box, one per key is the only way to stop this. Also, a steering lock can help...

Apparently the stolen cars are driven into faraday lined containers, so trackers are pretty useless unless you realise your car has been stolen quickly...

This is organised crime, not just joyriders...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #31
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post

I would honestly say anybody who believes their keys will go to sleep and can't be stolen this way needs to think again.

I was told the keys had to be near the front door for them to go, but this is rubbish, those attacks can pick up the keys 10m away.

Ghost security and leaving your keys in and all of your keys in a faraday pouch or box, one per key is the only way to stop this. Also, a steering lock can help...

Apparently the stolen cars are driven into faraday lined containers, so trackers are pretty useless unless you realise your car has been stolen quickly...

Sorry to hear about your car.

Did you have the newer key that disables or the older always on key?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #32
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:

Very disappointed to read this.

Yes, it is an organised crime and i remember reading a new Tesla was stolen from driveway. I read stealers use some sort of amplification device which would fool car in to thinking that the key is in the car.
Encrypted signal is copied and continously transmitted from with in the car so that car can be driven away from owners place.

I believe storing key in steel jar or faraday pouch + Steering lock could safeguard to some extent.

I hope police manage to track your car and you get it in good condition. What are insurance lads saying?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #33
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine was a 2017 so before the days of sleeping keys.

What I'm saying about the sleeping keys is that just because BMW say its fixed, I'd still take the extra security steps because the criminals always seem to be one step ahead.

I'm insured through BMW insurance, at the moment waiting for an engineer to contact me to discuss a valuation offer. It sounds like they just want to settle, but it still goes down as a fault claim

There is a lot of paper work to fill in, interviews with a Claims management adjustor etc... They have basically said they don't expect me to see the car again...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #34
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Mine was a 2017 so before the days of sleeping keys.

What I'm saying about the sleeping keys is that just because BMW say its fixed, I'd still take the extra security steps because the criminals always seem to be one step ahead.

I'm insured through BMW insurance, at the moment waiting for an engineer to contact me to discuss a valuation offer. It sounds like they just want to settle, but it still goes down as a fault claim

There is a lot of paper work to fill in, interviews with a Claims management adjustor etc... They have basically said they don't expect me to see the car again...
That makes sense on the key for sure and I'll take some additional precautions.

That blows my mind how it could be considered an at-fault claim. I know the UK is different than the US and even in the US each state has different laws, but here there is no way this would be considered at-fault. How could you have prevented this from occurring???

I could see it being an at fault claim if your keys were physically in the car and you left the car running with the key in it to "run and errand" and came back to a missing car. You could have prevented it by turning your car off and taking your key with you in that case. In this case your key was not left in the car by you nor did you do anything wrong...

Hopefully you get sorted without having to bear anything extra.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:57 AM   #35
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is how uk insurance companies work. My car was hit while I wasn't even in the car. Still get hit with higher premium (annual payment) as " you are more likely to have another accident, sir". Ridiculous. Also any claim, fault or no fault, stays on record and must be declared for 5 years.

We need some US style consumed protection over here.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #36
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
This is how uk insurance companies work. My car was hit while I wasn't even in the car. Still get hit with higher premium (annual payment) as " you are more likely to have another accident, sir". Ridiculous. Also any claim, fault or no fault, stays on record and must be declared for 5 years.

That's insane! And really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #37
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And the worst of it all is that to find a similar spec BMW approved used car is extremely difficult.

The 540s seem to be becoming harder to get hold of with paying a premium for. So replacing the car doesn’t seem like an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #38
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post

Oh man.. it's infuriating. I feel for you. They must've taken lessons from our insurers here or vice versa. My wife had same issue years back - two incidents in one year where she wasn't at fault (one incident where she wasn't even in the car), yet the insurer slugged her with premium because they classed her as having 'bad luck' syndrome or something idiotic like that.
      09-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #39
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Around 10.30pm, my wife heard and saw 3 men standing near the back of my car giving it a good look, doing something on a phone and discussing our CCTV camera setup. She was able to hear them clearly as the bedroom windows were open.

The cameras did pick them up but not clear enough to see the faces properly. Kind of worrying and feel as though we are going to have a sleepless night.

Keys are hidden away and I already have a stoplock pro elite on the steering wheel.

I'm now thinking about a Ghost 2 and Bulldog Wheel Clamp. Am I over reacting?

https://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/b...s-euroclamp/79

The worry now is them breaking into the house for the keys etc. Peace of mind is we activate the house alarm downstairs at night and have anti snap locks. But still a concern.

My car looks like the OP's car. Don't get what the interest in these are (granted they are lovely cars and fast - have I just answered my own question?)... You hear about RS3's, M140i's, Golf R's being stolen alot but a family saloon... It's not like mine is an M car :

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:44 PM   #40
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Around 10.30pm, my wife heard and saw 3 men standing near the back of my car giving it a good look, doing something on a phone and discussing our CCTV camera setup. She was able to hear them clearly as the bedroom windows were open.

The cameras did pick them up but not clear enough to see the faces properly. Kind of worrying and feel as though we are going to have a sleepless night.

Keys are hidden away and I already have a stoplock pro elite on the steering wheel.

The worry now is them breaking into the house for the keys etc. Peace of mind is we activate the house alarm downstairs at night and have anti snap locks. But still a concern.

My car looks like the OP's car. Don't get what the interest in these are (granted they are lovely cars and fast - have I just answered my own question?)... You hear about RS3's, M140i's, Golf R's being stolen alot but a family saloon... It's not like mine is an M car :
I’ve never seen a boot on a car unless you’ve failed to pay parking tickets. This thread makes the UK sound like a car thief haven. Crazy.

What do they do with your cars since few places are Left Hand Drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:24 AM   #41
csm7djs
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

CCTV is useless unless they know and recognise the faces.

Just look at the stabbing in Birmingham City Centre. Hundreds of CCTV images and no sign of the guy. And that was a major stabbing. Your car is going to be little interest to the police...

Should you be worried... If you had asked me that question 3 weeks ago I would say no... - But now, take whatever steps you need to secure you car. Forget hiding the keys, that won't help, they need to be in metal boxes that block the signal. Not just the main key, all keys including the spares...

I like that Ghost security. Stops them taking your car.

As for coming in the house, according to the security expert I spoke to, they usually don't bother as cutting through a composite front door is way too much effort. They can just steal cars from outside your house.

Mine went and another guy on facebook with a Bluestone down on the South coast, his was stolen 3 days after mine, keyless as well...

I've been recommended a company called www.takenrrf.co.uk. Basically a tracking company that is ex army and police. They detect when your car is moving and it shouldn't be...And then they hunt it down and get it back for you. They appeared on the TV program Hunted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #42
Dexteryout
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D M SPORT

Guess it was my turn

I had the same car as the OP with so many options it was easier to tell you what it didn't have, at 3.04 this morning it took 2 F@@kers less 1 min to take my car out of the drive.

My 14-year-old son woke up heard it and saw it, though by the time he woke me up they were long gone, called the police 3 mins after the car left the driveway, almost 24 hours later no ANPR hits. GPS tracking turned off.

Not Happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #43
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So sorry to hear and see this. Commiserations. Key in the office, quick scan, off we go? Barstewards.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:43 AM   #44
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexteryout View Post
I had the same car as the OP with so many options it was easier to tell you what it didn't have, at 3.04 this morning it took 2 F@@kers less 1 min to take my car out of the drive.

My 14-year-old son woke up heard it and saw it, though by the time he woke me up they were long gone, called the police 3 mins after the car left the driveway, almost 24 hours later no ANPR hits. GPS tracking turned off.

Not Happy.
That’s awful, so sorry this happened.

Was it comfort access again? I can’t believe this is still an issue.
Appreciate 0