BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion US Handling of Coronavirus

Yesterday, 06:12 PM   #11969
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post

China withheld it while telling the world everything was fine.
Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 4
9M71664.00
mbanks211151.00

Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #11970
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The other side is scared shitless and thinks it's the end of the world and that they'll likely die if they get COVID.
There's a much larger 3rd side who believes we should pursue a moderate, measured course validated by science and empirical data, like from the 100+ countries who are doing better than the US:

• Best-practice inventions:
Masks, hygiene, isolate the at-risk, bubbles, 3 Cs, 3 Vs, limit travel

• Best-practice management:
Identify SSEs, trace & quarantine

• Best-practice treatment:
Proning, Remdesivir, dexamethasone

No country, region, or city who's followed these best practices has a problem controlling the virus ... or with their economy!

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; Yesterday at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #11971
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Yes I agree the fed didn't do that great of a job and the majority of the states did an awful job.

But the primary fault is on China

Last edited by NormanConquest; Yesterday at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #11972
9M71
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Yes I agree the fed didn't do that great of a job and the majority of the states did an awful job.

But the primary fault is on China
Holy shit china this china that. US fell on its face just as hard if not even harder. Not arguing the pandemic didn't originate there. But even with a heads up we're in a worse place.

Waiting for your generic we are not china because we don't ___________ response.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #11973
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Holy shit china this china that. US fell on its face just as hard if not even harder. Not arguing the pandemic didn't originate there. But even with a heads up we're in a worse place.

Waiting for your generic we are not china because we don't ___________ response.
Heads up? They blantly lied and paid off the W.H.O all thru December, January, and most of February. (Most likely further as the lab leak most likely occurred in between August to November) They purposely left international airport open to allow fleeing Wuhan residence to go to other nations and infect them.
      Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #11974
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Heads up? They blantly lied and paid off the W.H.O all thru December, January, and most of February. (Most likely further as the lab leak most likely occurred in between August to November) They purposely left international airport open to allow fleeing Wuhan residence to go to other nations and infect them.
But the fact that virtually every other first world nation has done a better job of managing the pandemic than the US, notwithstanding that they were all in the same situation, is somehow China's fault?

You choose to blame China for the disaster that has unfolded in the US. The US is responsible for the degree to which SARS-CoV2 and COVID-19 have affected the US. It's just that simple. The US is to blame for what's going on in the US.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #11975
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Quote:

Norm, you're not understanding basic Chinese cultural and economic constructs. I know it LOOKS like the Chinese stuffed the true information to screw the rest of the world and allow their people to escape but that's not what happened.

China has damn near 1.5 Billion people under fragile authoritarian rule. Social order must be preserved above all else, or else the whole thing falls apart. China doesn't give a fuck about us or any other nation so long as they keep buying. Where we have built and economy that depends on us buying, China has built one that depends on them making.

Information was withheld in an effort to:

1 - keep the masses in China from panicking.
2 - keep the global supply chain from pulling orders.

That's it. Follow the money and the social stabilizing factors and you have the answers for why they acted like they did.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #11976
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Quote:
But the fact that virtually every other first world nation has done a better job of managing the pandemic than the US, notwithstanding that they were all in the same situation, is somehow China's fault?

You choose to blame China for the disaster that has unfolded in the US. The US is responsible for the degree to which SARS-CoV2 and COVID-19 have affected the US. It's just that simple. The US is to blame for what's going on in the US.
Don't forget the shit hit the fan in Europe before the US. Set China aside and we still had a month plus heads up as Italy fell into chaos.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #11977
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Norm, you're not understanding basic Chinese cultural and economic constructs. I know it LOOKS like the Chinese stuffed the true information to screw the rest of the world and allow their people to escape but that's not what happened.

China has damn near 1.5 Billion people under fragile authoritarian rule. Social order must be preserved above all else, or else the whole thing falls apart. China doesn't give a fuck about us or any other nation so long as they keep buying. Where we have built and economy that depends on us buying, China has built one that depends on them making.

That's it. Follow the money and the social stabilizing factors and you have the answers for why they acted like they did.
Logic is refreshing.
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #11978
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
• Best-practice inventions:
Masks, hygiene, isolate the at-risk, bubbles, 3 Cs, 3 Vs, limit travel
Bubbles don't work because they're entirely unenforcable. You cannot verify if people have not expanded their bubble a little too enthusiastically. Belgium is the prime example. As a family you're only allowed to see 5 other people in your bubble. The people you come into contact with also can't have had more than 5 other persons in their bubble. Most of my friends live in Belgium and we don't have a bubble system over here in the Netherlands. So basically I can do whatever the hell I want, but as per Belgium's rules my friends can't.

Masks are also an interesting case in Belgium. If you go out and about you have to wear a mask. But if you look on the streets a lot of people on their bicycles aren't wearing one. Why not? Well because if you cycle "fast enough" it's counted as a sports activity for which there is no mask mandate So you see a lot of old folk without a mask and they're definitely not on sports bikes

To be fair though, Belgium seems to be a complete basket case when it comes to corona regulations so there's that.

And for the umpteenth time, before anybody tries to accuse me of being a Corona denier or w/e. I'm not against regulations when it comes to pandemic management, but if you're going to come up with stupid rules, don't be surprised when people give you the middle finger.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #11979
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post

Bubbles don't work because they're entirely unenforcable.
NFL says

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #11980
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
NFL says
Now try doing that for average Joe. Especially those that don't give two cents about measures taken (or don't even believe the virus is real).

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:09 AM   #11981
XutvJet
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

Excellent post.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 01:00 AM   #11982
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Lots of new data emerging about the 4 possibilities for asymptomatics:
1) A rapid immune response overwhelms the virus
2) Cross reactive immunity from previous similar disease
3) Genetics
4) Low viral load at time of infection

I highlighted the last one because it matches the empirical data on why masks work:

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:07 AM   #11983
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]

3) Genetics

I highlighted the last one because it matches the empirical data on why masks work:

Quote:

Last edited by GrussGott; Today at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:01 AM   #11984
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Now try doing that for average Joe. Especially those that don't give two cents about measures taken (or don't even believe the virus is real).
Nobody said it should be "enforced," they said it was best practices. Nobody is mandating that I wash my hands either, but it's highly recommended.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:07 AM   #11985
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Masks are also an interesting case in Belgium. If you go out and about you have to wear a mask. But if you look on the streets a lot of people on their bicycles aren't wearing one. Why not? Well because if you cycle "fast enough" it's counted as a sports activity for which there is no mask mandate So you see a lot of old folk without a mask and they're definitely not on sports bikes [/SIZE]
The risk of anyone catching covid from a passing cyclist is zero. There is not enough time or viral load to infect another person.

Quote:
And for the umpteenth time, before anybody tries to accuse me of being a Corona denier or w/e. I'm not against regulations when it comes to pandemic management, but if you're going to come up with stupid rules, don't be surprised when people give you the middle finger.
I think the issue in the US was leadership mocking their own government-issued recommendations and protocols. I've never seen anything so disorganized or dysfunctional from this level of government office.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:10 AM   #11986
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
We knew the virus was in the US in February, likely earlier. At that point, it did not matter one iota what was happening in China. Again, it doesn't matter whose dog shit on your lawn, it is now your shit to deal with. We dealt with it terribly.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:17 AM   #11987
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:

Fauci is quick to advocate closure but was very silent about protest. Why does he believe is selective assembly
What is it with you guys and the protests? Protests have been going on since May. Protests occur OUTSIDE, where virus transmission is much lower. The overwhelming majority of protestors are wearing masks and maintaining social distance. It has already been shown not to have caused spikes in cases. This is settled.

Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:33 AM   #11988
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
What is it with you guys and the protests? Protests have been going on since May. Protests occur OUTSIDE, where virus transmission is much lower. The overwhelming majority of protestors are wearing masks and maintaining social distance. It has already been shown not to have caused spikes in cases. This is settled.
https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/06/...est-in-nj.html

Yes look at that social distancing

Remember this is the same Governor that prosecute a Gym which was keeping their patrons 18 feet apart, raided small backyard weddings, close churches and want people to keep detail logs of who partipate in backyard bbq that had more then 10 people. It not about the peaceful protest it about the arbitrarily application of the lockdown and the law by these shit Governor.

Quote:
We knew the virus was in the US in February, likely earlier. At that point, it did not matter one iota what was happening in China. Again, it doesn't matter whose dog shit on your lawn, it is now your shit to deal with. We dealt with it terribly.
Yea I know the local and state government didn't take the warning from the fed seriously

https://www.amny.com/editorial/fear-...-in-chinatown/

But now that it past they are using the fear to arbitrarily implement whatever they want by allowing blm assembly and 'risk workers' to illegally paint BLM on the street infront of Trump tower but not people to continue the tradition of placing lights to fing mourn over 911

https://www.kusi.com/new-york-citys-...ims-cancelled/

https://abcnews.go.com/US/bill-de-bl...ry?id=71690137

If you are unable to see the pure hypocrisy on the verge of evil some of these mayor and governor are involved in your truly are a zealot.

Last edited by NormanConquest; Today at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:28 AM   #11989
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:

3) Genetics

Sounds right like getting just a little bit of the aids or herp.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:30 AM   #11990
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
The risk of anyone catching covid from a passing cyclist is zero. There is not enough time or viral load to infect another person.
Agreed, but I was just pointing out the stupidity of how some of these rules are setup.

Quote:
I think the issue in the US was leadership mocking their own government-issued recommendations and protocols. I've never seen anything so disorganized or dysfunctional from this level of government office.
The grass is always greener on the other side.

Appreciate 0