BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Movies! The movie thread

05-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #5831
TTM0TION
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
It's interesting how taste's differ.

I thought Oppenheimer was stunning-- but I'd already read the book and am very interested in that period of history.

It's not that he invented the bomb-- he was able to corral and ride herd on the scientists that invented the bomb. His country called, and he answered.

And? His timing where he spoke out with his.... checkered past fell right around the time of the "Red Scare" and the McCarthy Hearings. It literally couldn't have been any worse.

Additionally, he tried to put the genie back in the bottle, and that was fairly naive. Honestly, if the military/government spends $30 Billion dollars (in 2023 money), do you really think they're not going to pickle off their new toy to see what all that money bought?

I found Oppenheimer (the man) to be fascinating-- a lot of contradictions, certainly feet of clay, willful blindness to what the military would do with his invention, but for all that- a genius.

A genius who was treated very poorly by his government.

I really enjoyed the movie, and I'm not a huge Christopher Nolan fan.

Now Planet of the Apes? You couldn't pay me to see it. Never had the slightest interest in that series, from the very first one onward.

R.
The statement here is NOT a Nolan fan! Wild man, for me easily the best of the modern day.
      05-01-2024, 11:54 AM   #5832
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Watching Enigma now with Sheen and Neill.
CIA hire an E German defector (Sheen) to return to E Berlin and foil a plot by the Stasi to assassinate five Soviet dissidents.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:05 AM   #5833
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishee View Post
I think it was trite, melodramatic, overdone, heavy handed and self indulgent.
Very overrated imo, and the science in the film (while not a film about the science) was both wrong and oversimplified. The history was also "adapted", especially Teller's role in all of it.

Nolan jumped the shark ages ago.

Given that it won so many awards just points to how low the bar is for post Covid movies in the woke hollywood era.
They're just poop... reminds me of the hoopla around Titanic. Feh.
So true, there are influential people in Hollywood that have no idea of what a good film should be and the film choices are then forced in rather than chosen from the heart.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 03:59 PM   #5834
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I guess A Quiet Place was alright but I never really bought into the concept or how ppl were conducting themselves in that world. Anyway, if you like that, Arcadian should be ok, I liked it for the most part.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:32 PM   #5835
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
This could be fun.

The Fall Guy, starring Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt

Maybe not, though. Didn't like Bullet Train.
Well, the reviews aren't bad, after all.

Might be worth a watch with the Minister of War & Finance once I get back from London and Paris.

R.
      Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #5836
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

My wife's been on a bit of a movie kick lately, and I've been completely disinterested, watch with half an eye, or get sucked in.

Here are three good ones (all very different genres) that we've both enjoyed. A couple of them I didn't think I'd be interested in, but I got surprised:

I, Tonya

Snowden

Dark Waters

R.
Esteban44026.00
      Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #5837
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
My wife's been on a bit of a movie kick lately, and I've been completely disinterested, watch with half an eye, or get sucked in.

Here are three good ones (all very different genres) that we've both enjoyed. A couple of them I didn't think I'd be interested in, but I got surprised:

I, Tonya

Snowden

Dark Waters

R.
Saw I, Tonya. Thought it was pretty good.
      Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #5838
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Snowden was pretty good, done quite well.
Appreciate 0