10-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #45
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

This is all just speculation at this point until tunes are actually released, but the base engine seems to have some decent headroom for extra power. Around 400HP/400Torque seems pretty reasonable to me, though fuel supply limitations will probably start to kick in. Plus we need to know what the transmissions can safely handle.
This is what I am hoping/praying for. If you see what people are getting out of the X3 M40i... its pretty impressive!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:21 AM   #46
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Got to drive a base 40i this morning. For comparison, I'm currently in a 2016 MSport 35i with the Dynamic Handling Package.

First impressions upon seeing the vehicle: I like it. While not a big change from the F15 the new G05 definitely looks a bit more modern. It doesn't totally date the F15, but I think I might like the overall shape better. Wish my dealership had an MSport, but all 3 cars they got were base models. The grilles look OK. Personally, I would have preffered that they were a bit smaller but they are not hideous in person. To my eyes the G05 somehow appears smaller in the flesh than the F15. It definitely looks lower in person even though I know it is slightly taller. The one I drove was Mineral White, which served the lines of the car well. I think Alpine White will look even better on the car as will the darker colors. This one had 20" wheels which looked fine. The 21" and 22" will definitely fill the wheel wells better though.

The interior is a nice step up in the design department. It definitely looks more expensive. However, I didn't feel like materials were necessarily higher quality than my F15. Buttons and switch gear didn't feel better to me. The new shifter is pretty weird and is not as easy to operate or as intuitive as the F generations was but you'll quickly get used to it. Same with the start/stop button down on the console. Base sport seats were very comfortable. I didn't notice if they include the adjustable side bolsters that other sport seats do.

Some quick gripes on the interior. No more sunglasses holder by the sunroof controls. The new climate control rocket switches take longer to adjust the temperature. Instead of a quick spin of a dial now you have to do a bunch of taps up or down. Not a big deal but still slightly annoying. Second row leg room is only slightly more than the F15s. There is better foot room for second row passengers and they made the cutouts/indents in the front row seatbacks deeper which frees up a touch more legroom. Figure a realistic 1 inch more space in the second row. I was hoping it would feel like more. Also the second row seat backs have no recline function, nor do they slide forward/aft like the "Comfort 2nd Row" option on the F15. Considering the the X3 has the reclining seatbacks I just don't understand this ommission. The G05 rear seats are nowhere near as comfortable as the Comfort rests on my F15. One other thing, the center console storage area is about 30% smaller than the F15s. Another odd design decision in my opinion.

Cargo area seems about the same. Possibly a touch wider. The load floor felt slightly lower, which is a good thing. The under trunk floor storage is definitely smaller than the F15s It didn't seem as tall, probably due the lower trunk floor. The electric lower trunk door is a really nice touch.

Now for the drive. First, I immediately felt comfortable in the new X5. Excellent seating position and very good overall visibility. As I mentioned before, the seats are excellent, though I'd still spring for the luxury seats because I'm used to the ventilation. First of all this truck moves! I have the M power kit on my F15 and the G05 still felt at least half a second quicker to me to 60. There were a few times on my drive I looked down and saw speeds of 60+ when I was in 40-45MPH zones. Oops! Transmission felt perfect as well, though I expected that. The steering is a huge step up from the F15. No more constantly correcting on the the highway. The steering wheel diameter is smaller now too, which felt much better to me. My F15 felt like a bus steering wheel when I got into it on the way home. Steering in both comfort and sport modes was accurate and nicely weighted, though sport mode didn't offer any additional feedback to my hands/brain. The base suspension felt leaps and bounds better than the crappy base on the F15. It was smooth and comfortable in comfort mode without being too floaty. I didn't notice any wallowing or head toss, which is great. However, I greatly preferred the firmer sport mode. It stiffened things up nicely without crossing over into the brittle or overly firm realm. There was still more body lean than I would like, but remember i'm Comparing this to a DHP F15. Fact is, I could live with this suspension if I had too. However, knowing how much of an improvement the active roll stabilizers make on a car like this, now I'm doubly mad that we can't order the DHP on a 40i here in the US. The G05 would be absolutely amazing with the DHP. Overall, the G05 is a huge step up in overall driving dynamics from the F15. It felt incredibly smooth, refined, and stable through my whole test drive, which was a mix of country highways (Rt 202/31 in Hunterdon County NJ) and a mix of high and low speed back country roads where I pushed the car pretty hard. Unless you are coming from a DHP-equipped car like I am I doubt that you will be disappointed.

I extended my F15 lease 6 months to have the time to drive the new G05 as well as the W167 GLE coming soon. As of right now, I'm still going to wait for the new GLE before deciding what to do. If the DHP was available on the 40i I would probably be putting my order in now. Sadly, I just can't justify ponying up for the 50i, especially after seeing how fast the new 40i is, plus with the 530HP M50i coming for the 2020 model year.
Does the sunroof open on top of the car? Or slide under like the 2018?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #47
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Top.

Comparing the sun roof to the E70, the sunroof on the G05 is disappointing. It’s set further back in the cabin and opens WAY less. Sun closure is a window shade setup where a thin cloth extends over the sunroof - vs - a single/solid sound deadening piece in the E70. This was really my only major beaf with the G05 when I spent a limited amount of time test driving it. That opinion may change when I get more time in the G05...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #48
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Top.

Comparing the sun roof to the E70, the sunroof on the G05 is disappointing. It’s set further back in the cabin and opens WAY less. Sun closure is a window shade setup where a thin cloth extends over the sunroof - vs - a single/solid sound deadening piece in the E70. This was really my only major beaf with the G05 when I spent a limited amount of time test driving it. That opinion may change when I get more time in the G05...
This.

I completely agree. I can't fathom why they would have done this. The divider between the front and back also looks wider (and therefore cuts off even more light coming in).

Coupled with the black headliner (and what I suspect is a smaller windshield), the inside of the car is too dark, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #49
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
This.

I completely agree. I can't fathom why they would have done this. The divider between the front and back also looks wider (and therefore cuts off even more light coming in).

Coupled with the black headliner (and what I suspect is a smaller windshield), the inside of the car is too dark, IMHO.
Odd. When I sat in the 50i during dealer training, I felt exactly the opposite. I thought the car felt airy and very bright inside. Very large windows, low window sills, and the huge pano roof let tons of light in. Visiabilty was amazing from the drivers seat.

I don’t recall noticing anything negative about the pano roof, but then again I wasn’t aware of the differences between the F15 and G05 at the time I saw the roof in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #50
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Top.

Great write up- so it doesn't open on top of the car?
Appreciate 0