BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding SMS messages

03-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

SMS messages

I have managed to get the system to show (and read out) my emails but I can't get it to show my text messages. Can anyone help? I have an iphone 5c and I don't have Enhanced Bluetooth. There is no option on the phone under the bluetooth menu to show notifications for the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

I think I read somewhere on bmw's webpage that you needed enhanced Bluetooth to show text messages. That is why I ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I have managed to get the system to show (and read out) my emails but I can't get it to show my text messages. Can anyone help? I have an iphone 5c and I don't have Enhanced Bluetooth. There is no option on the phone under the bluetooth menu to show notifications for the BMW.

On the idrive menu: select Communication tile. Under the tile is messaging and this where your text messages are displayed.

It shows full messages when not driving and whilst driving it shows partial messages and reads out the whole massage if you click on the loudspeaker icon beside the message for both my iPhone 5 and Samsung S5. It only allows me to reply by dictation when driving with the Samsung but not with my iPhone 5. Also for Iphone, It only shows messages received whilst connected to idrive whilst on Samsung it shows all messages that are in the phone (both old and new).

You can cross make calls between two different phones. (You can call number that is stored on a phone from another phone as far as both are connected to idrive)

I did not need any special set up for the Samsung apart from just connecting by bluetooth to idrive but you would need an extra setup for iPhone . I was able to receive messages from it by following the advice from this youtube video:

I have a technology package which includes enhanced bluetooth, whether this is necessary I am not sure

Th other way round is to use apple CarPlay. Another option I have because of the nature of my work, though proving a bit redundant because of the above. Even if Apple CarPlay is not factory optioned, you can buy it directly from Connected drive store in the car. The functionality is the same or probably better than IDrive. It would read out the text message to you and you can reply by dictation. The same for phone calls etc. However it is limited to apple iPhones and you cannot cross call.

The third way is to use Siri directly by pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel for few seconds and Siri's Voice would be activated through the car speakers. You can command Siri to read out your unread text messages and can reply or compose text messages for you. Hopefully this does not need enhanced bluetooth

Last edited by babaikram; 03-31-2017 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:44 AM   #4
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Thank you very much. I shall try those options
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
pixlplague
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 M-Sport (G30)

Question

Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't post new threads yet

So just got my G30 and for the life of me can't get my Galaxy S7 to give me SMS, emails, or anything else than phone calls really.

I don't even see the option anywhere in iDrive, like the phone isn't even connected. Yet I can make and receive calls fine, and my phone seems properly connected.

Emails never worked in my previous F30, but text messages did work fine. I can't fathom this is impossible to do in ANY car in 2017, let alone a 5-series... but cell phone compatibility isn't BMW's finest work...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

You need to configure phone in setting to display. If not equipped, you can also code in office functions.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixlplague View Post

So just got my G30 and for the life of me can't get my Galaxy S7 to give me SMS, emails, or anything else than phone calls really.

I don't even see the option anywhere in iDrive, like the phone isn't even connected. Yet I can make and receive calls fine, and my phone seems properly connected.

Emails never worked in my previous F30, but text messages did work fine. I can't fathom this is impossible to do in ANY car in 2017, let alone a 5-series... but cell phone compatibility isn't BMW's finest work...

Thanks!
I have a Galaxy S7 and it works fine with it, however I have enhanced Bluetooth, the reason I spec'd it with enhanced Bluetooth is that I read somewhere that SMS does not work without having Enhanced Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Thanks!
I had a Galaxy S7 and it worked just fine, now using the S8+ works like a charm. When you are setting up your bluetooth connection on the Android, pay attention to the prompts you get on the phone. It will ask you to give it permission to sync and access your Phone Book, and Messages or it might say MAP(Message Access Profile) Access.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

This thread has prompted me to try and get this going on my car.
I have a Iphone 5s with IOS 10 and also have enhanced bluetooth.

On my previous F10 (before I upgraded to a Iphone 5s and had a Iphone 4) it got it to work so if there was an incoming text message, tehre would be an envelope icon on teh sat nav map so you knew you had a SMS waitig for you.

So interesting to see if the G30 can replicate this or make it even better.

I recall I had to set the phone up in a certian way as regards notifications and it had to be locked as well.
so all in all a bit fiddly.

A case of RTFM tonight I think!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
This thread has prompted me to try and get this going on my car.
I have a Iphone 5s with IOS 10 and also have enhanced bluetooth.

On my previous F10 (before I upgraded to a Iphone 5s and had a Iphone 4) it got it to work so if there was an incoming text message, tehre would be an envelope icon on teh sat nav map so you knew you had a SMS waitig for you.

So interesting to see if the G30 can replicate this or make it even better.

I recall I had to set the phone up in a certian way as regards notifications and it had to be locked as well.
so all in all a bit fiddly.

A case of RTFM tonight I think!
I know it works on iOS10. Just make sure that you Turn on "Show Notification" Option in the Bluetooth Settings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep

thanks, will give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #12
pixlplague
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
You need to configure phone in setting to display. If not equipped, you can also code in office functions.
Part of my problem is right there: it doesn't show up in office! Would you have a good resource to recommend to code? I'm pretty computer and tech savvy, but have never done any coding on cars and what I've found is... subpar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarlasaM View Post
It will ask you to give it permission to sync and access your Phone Book, and Messages or it might say MAP(Message Access Profile) Access.
That's what has me worried right now: it asks for phone book, but not message access... It really seems the common thread is this Enhanced Bluetooth. This leads me to a question though: what exactly is Enhanced BT? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in options when I bought my car. Are we talking about the "Cell phone package" that includes CarPlay and wireless charging pad? Because I don't see any mention of the bluetooth being any different in my documentation.

I've read the package files for the US and it seems we got quite a bit less options in Canada, or at the very least they are not packaged the same. That option was the only one I didn't get (because they are running out of 2017 stock and can't order new ones anymore). Worst case I can always get the Bimmer-Tech option I suppose.

Last edited by pixlplague; 09-02-2017 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys I'll try that.

I do have a question though: what exactly is Enhanced BT? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in options when I bought my car. Are we talking about the "Cell phone package" that includes CarPlay and wireless charging pad? Because I don't see any mention of the bluetooth being any different in my documentation.

I've read the package files for the US and it seems we got quite a bit less options in Canada, or at the very least they are not packaged the same. That option was the only one I didn't get (because they are running out of 2017 stock and can't order new ones anymore). I know I can probably code it in but I'm not very familiar with coding so...
6NW included ZEB EBT
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
pixlplague
Canada
Rep

Quote:
6NW included ZEB EBT
Bullocks. Ok well that might be it. I really wish they would have explained that better to me: the SR said it really only removed CarPlay and wireless charging... would I have known it would take away my cell phone connectivity I would have made some different choices I think (remote parking is cool for about 2 days, then it really turns into a parlour trick).

Almaretto, would you have some good resources for coding? I think I saw you did some as well in another thread; any idea if this is retrofittable?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Part of my problem is right there: it doesn't show up in office! Would you have a good resource to recommend to code? I'm pretty computer and tech savvy, but have never done any coding on cars and what I've found is... subpar.

That's what has me worried right now: it asks for phone book, but not message access... It really seems the common thread is this Enhanced Bluetooth. This leads me to a question though: what exactly is Enhanced BT? I don't remember seeing that anywhere in options when I bought my car. Are we talking about the "Cell phone package" that includes CarPlay and wireless charging pad? Because I don't see any mention of the bluetooth being any different in my documentation.

I've read the package files for the US and it seems we got quite a bit less options in Canada, or at the very least they are not packaged the same. That option was the only one I didn't get (because they are running out of 2017 stock and can't order new ones anymore). Worst case I can always get the Bimmer-Tech option I suppose.
If you don't get the MAP(Message Access) request on the phone, trying going to the bluetooth settings on your phone, and make sure that the Message Access option is turned on.

In the US the G30 comes standard with 6NS the Enhanced USB & BT option.

This option was introduced for MY14 cars:
This option (6NS) includes Bluetooth Audio Streaming (now standard), Enhanced USB and Smartphone Integration for use of a snap-in adapter(discontinued for MY17 +). If the vehicle is equipped with option 609 (Navigation), 6NS also includes a secondary microphone for enhance hands-free communication, Mobile Office, and the ability to pair a second phone via Bluetooth. Additionally, when added to vehicles with iDrive 4.2, Message Dictation is included. (iDrive 5.0 + support Naturally Speaking as Standard now so this option is now part of it as default)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #16
pixlplague
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you don't get the MAP(Message Access) request on the phone, trying going to the bluetooth settings on your phone, and make sure that the Message Access option is turned on.

In the US the G30 comes standard with 6NS the Enhanced USB & BT option.

This option was introduced for MY14 cars:
This option (6NS) includes Bluetooth Audio Streaming (now standard), Enhanced USB and Smartphone Integration for use of a snap-in adapter(discontinued for MY17 +). If the vehicle is equipped with option 609 (Navigation), 6NS also includes a secondary microphone for enhance hands-free communication, Mobile Office, and the ability to pair a second phone via Bluetooth. Additionally, when added to vehicles with iDrive 4.2, Message Dictation is included. (iDrive 5.0 + support Naturally Speaking as Standard now so this option is now part of it as default)
I definitely don't have 6NS as it's not even an option in Canada. But that just adds to the mystery: I do have audio streaming, but not messages... And I can confirm that the first three option sliders are there, but not the Message access one. This means the phone is not even prompted to allow access: it really sees the car as an audio device only (with mic, i.e. phone capabilities).

I'm at a loss here... I might have to go to the dealership but I'm not convinced they will even know. Last time I had similar issues with my F30 they brushed me off saying it was the phone (spoiler: it wasn't and I updated my iDrive myself)...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #17
BarlasaM
Gravity Sucks.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I definitely don't have 6NS as it's not even an option in Canada. But that just adds to the mystery: I do have audio streaming, but not messages... And I can confirm that the first three option sliders are there, but not the Message access one. This means the phone is not even prompted to allow access: it really sees the car as an audio device only (with mic, i.e. phone capabilities).

I'm at a loss here... I might have to go to the dealership but I'm not convinced they will even know. Last time I had similar issues with my F30 they brushed me off saying it was the phone (spoiler: it wasn't and I updated my iDrive myself)...
I am not familiar with the standard and available options on the Canadian Models, but based on my quick research on BMW Canada site, looks like you might need the "Smartphone Connectivity Pkg". It says it includes Extended Smartphone integration with wireless charging. I have to do more research to see what exactly is Extended Smartphone integration is, unless some one here can educate me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bullocks. Ok well that might be it. I really wish they would have explained that better to me: the SR said it really only removed CarPlay and wireless charging... would I have known it would take away my cell phone connectivity I would have made some different choices I think (remote parking is cool for about 2 days, then it really turns into a parlour trick).

Almaretto, would you have some good resources for coding? I think I saw you did some as well in another thread; any idea if this is retrofittable?

Thanks!
6NW offers the wireless charging, but you can still code in enhanced bluetooth for office features. On older cars, this is what I prefer because 6NS came with adapter plate that just takes up room in center console.

Yes, I code cars locally and remotely.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 03:41 PM   #19
pixlplague
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I am not familiar with the standard and available options on the Canadian Models, but based on my quick research on BMW Canada site, looks like you might need the "Smartphone Connectivity Pkg". It says it includes Extended Smartphone integration with wireless charging. I have to do more research to see what exactly is Extended Smartphone integration is, unless some one here can educate me.
This is from the official Order guide for 2017s:
ZTV Smartphone Connectivity Package
6CP Apple CarPlay Preparation
6NW Wireless Charging w/Extended Bluetooth and USB (yeah I apparently missed that line when first reading)
6WD WiFi Hotspot

You can't get any of these options individually from what I was told, but then again I was also told that a) it can't be retrofitted and b) I would still be able to use my cell phone without it... Mind you either way no cars matching my other needs had this pkg included... Coding it is!

Quote:
Yes, I code cars locally and remotely.
I will PM you in the following days, if that's ok with you.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I will PM you in the following days, if that's ok with you.
Anytime.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know it works on iOS10. Just make sure that you Turn on "Show Notification" Option in the Bluetooth Settings.
That works a treat thanks
Appreciate 1
BarlasaM172.00
      09-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #22
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Quote:
That works a treat thanks
Interesting on my iPhone 5 Bluetooth connection for my old F11 notifications are an option but same phone same screen G30 no option.
Clearly BMW not doing a good job communicating a downgrade in an upgraded model along with the inability to use 2 phones connected at the same time without paying for an expensive package.
Guess you have all reached that conclusion already on this thread...
Appreciate 1
BarlasaM172.00