BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Instrument Binnacle Eco Pro

06-29-2022, 12:47 AM   #1
William12345
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series G31

Instrument Binnacle Eco Pro

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what this is (see photo!) i remember seeing the needle drop into this section and you can feel a regenerative braking kind of like like engine braking.

But it’s been about 18 months and I’ve never seen the needle drop into this section. I’ve tried changing driving styles and can’t get it to move and I’ve looked in setting and nothing.

The car is due to go back to BMW Friday for the wheels to be looked at under warranty (centre lacquer blistering again! Replaced under warranty only back in December….) anyway, I am going to ask them to have a look at it as I think it’s odd that it’s never been used in 18 months!!

Don’t know if anyone has had the same or similar issue or if anyone is even bothered!???

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Is this the grey line you are getting to? Not clear to me

Only things I can think of was was the car coasting? I'm which case there is obviously no drag caused by the engine and no charging of the battery as opposed to normal engine braking where the line will I've to the battery charge to say it's charging
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 07:13 AM   #3
William12345
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Is this the grey line you are getting to? Not clear to me

Only things I can think of was was the car coasting? I'm which case there is obviously no drag caused by the engine and no charging of the battery as opposed to normal engine braking where the line will I've to the battery charge to say it's charging
Hi AP

So yeah in the past the grey line has been blue and increased from the top towards the battery. More braking the more the line has moved.

But it's been grey for 18 months. Does that mean the battery has been completely full for 18 months and never needed topping up? I don't know?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

I've got a pre LCI model but assume the display works the same on yours as it does on mine
The battery symbol at least on mine does not show the battery capacity. This line is just to indicate whether the battery is being charged as a result of taking your foot off the gas.

The car can obviously decide to charge the battery as you are driving along normally if it feels it needs to if it's charge is below a certain threshold.

Just wondering if you've had a software update to the car 18 months back by any chance? Just wondering if it's nothing more than a bug in that particular version that you have? Just a guess

I'm sure those here with a LCI will be able to chip and state the behaviour on their cars
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

Other thoughts, is this eco pro or eco pro individual?
Did you make any changes to eco pro individuals behaviour back then?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by William12345 View Post
But it's been grey for 18 months. Does that mean the battery has been completely full for 18 months and never needed topping up? I don't know?
Your battery won't be fully charged all the time, energy management doesn't work that way, by design. There is capacity for harvesting energy on the over-run. Battery is typically running 75 - 80% SoC.

Seems there is something adrift. Same in all modes?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 06:19 AM   #7
William12345
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Your battery won't be fully charged all the time, energy management doesn't work that way, by design. There is capacity for harvesting energy on the over-run. Battery is typically running 75 - 80% SoC.

Apparently a mechanic took the vehicle out for a test drive and reset the system what has now activated it. Possibly a glitch with an update (I've had about 7 updates since having the car)
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2022, 01:57 AM   #8
William12345
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

Apparently a mechanic took the vehicle out for a test drive and reset the system what has now activated it. Possibly a glitch with an update (I've had about 7 updates since having the car)
Hi all just an update

Had the car returned (3 wheels replaced… they were actually really good didn't even question the damage and swapped out for brand new)

The problem with the dash seems to be fixed now, will have to monitor to see if use breaks again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0