BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Something to look forward to for Pre LCI

08-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #23
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I tried on a loaner - I couldn't get past the 70's style cockpit dash. No round gauges for speed /rpm, and that weird g-meter in the middle.

And then I looked at the center console screen and from a UI perspective, it's just offensive.

They smoke some really poor quality drugs in BMW's design section...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #24
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Ha, I also think ID7 is a mess! Especially the cluster, it's a mess of too much information. It may as well be a NYSE ticker tape displayed in Time Square.
There is a "reduced" mode to soften the information overload
Yeah, my experience is only from loaners. I'm sure I could pretty it up if I took the time to dig in a little.
Do you guys even look at the iDrive home screen?
Am I missing something that I should be doing? 😬
The second I turn it on it goes on Apple CarPlay.
Other than the first time I set it up and checking tire pressure/temp which I set it to one of the numbers I never even go iDrive home screen.
Although I don't disagree with the new messy cluster, which I always put on minimal in my loaners.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #25
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I glance at it as part of my scan while driving.

I don't start with CarPlay - I start with the standard home screen since that lets me see weather, map location, what's playing, date, time, etc all in one sweeping glance.

7 has some real nice features like voice commands to roll windows up / down, etc, an extra custom gesture, etc.
But that interface is just ugly, right down to fonts not being rendered properly. It doesn't flow, or make sense in my head.
I like how there's some functionality for the up direction on the idrive controller now.
But eh it could be way better designed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #26
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, I also think ID7 is a mess! Especially the cluster, it's a mess of too much information. It may as well be a NYSE ticker tape displayed in Time Square.
Yeah, my experience is only from loaners. I'm sure I could pretty it up if I took the time to dig in a little.
Other than the first time I set it up and checking tire pressure/temp which I set it to one of the numbers I never even go iDrive home screen.
Although I don't disagree with the new messy cluster, which I always put on minimal in my loaners.
I'm like you, always in CarPlay. I'm only in iDrive to tweak settings. I'm never on the iDrive Home Screen. I'm talking more about the cluster and it being just a mess of information that is either useless information or duplicative because it's displayed somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, it would not prevent me from buying an ID7 car, but those meters for speed and rpm's are close to a non starter. They should be round.
paquet629.50
cna90176.00
      08-01-2022, 09:22 PM   #27
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm like you, always in CarPlay. I'm only in iDrive to tweak settings. I'm never on the iDrive Home Screen. I'm talking more about the cluster and it being just a mess of information that is either useless information or duplicative because it's displayed somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong, it would not prevent me from buying an ID7 car, but those meters for speed and rpm's are close to a non starter. They should be round.
Haha, that's amazing. I'm exactly thinking the same! Who the f in design department decided round is not good enough, idk. Probably a bike guy.
I'm looking at 2020 models rn. Prices are ridiculous but i gotta change tires and rims that's gonna run me $7k + with everything back ordered, I can't even get them for another 3-6 months. I feel like I'm better off using that money changing it with a 2020. This way at least I get the ID7 lite and keep the preLCI look.
Hopefully I can find a fully optioned one.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50