BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos More GT-R News

03-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

More GT-R News

With a 330bhp version of Nissan's new 3.7 litre V6 (VQ37HR) engine seemingly confirmed for the new Fairlady/350Z-based Infiniti G37 coupe, prior to that vehicles official release at April's New York Motor Show, it appears increasingly likely that the same engine will be nestling under the bonnet of the new Nissan GT-R when it struts onto the world stage at October's Tokyo Motor Show. However, a mere 330 horses will surely not suffice for this, the most megalomaniacal of Nissan's sports car offerings? Indeed, it has been surmised that, as with Skyline GT-Rs of yore, the 3.7-litre V6 from the G37 will see service alongside twin turbochargers, duly boosting power output to somewhere in the region of 450bhp. It should however be noted that throughout the most recent stages of the GT-Rs development it has consistently been benchmarked against Porsche's indomitable 997 model 911 Turbo, a car showboating a not inconsiderable 480bhp of firepower. Thus, if the 911 Turbo's performance statistics are taken into account, it seems feasible that the GT-Rs power output could even rise to be in the same ballpark as the Porsche's 480bhp, further placating GT-R fans and their ever vociferous calls for more power.

Horsepower is not the only area in which the specs of the new GT-R correlate with those of the current 911 Turbo, as the Porsche is also expected to set a precedent in providing a blueprint for the type of turbochargers employed on the new GT-R. The 997-model 911 Turbo was the first petrol-engined vehicle to utilize turbochargers with variable turbine geometry, and it is currently anticipated that the new GT-R will follow suit in this regard. Variable turbine geometry, a technology usually associated with turbo-diesel engines, enables the angle of a turbocharger's turbine blades to be changed according to engine conditions, increasing the efficacy of the turbocharger across a wider rev-range, and working to reduce that bête noire of certain forced-induction engines, turbo lag.

However, while the 911 turbo may have provided the yardstick against which the new GT-Rs performance has been measured, the Nissan is set to provide the same bang as its German rival for significantly less buck, even in its top trim level. While on the subject of trim levels, it is worth noting that recent rumblings in Japan have mooted three different spec levels for the new GT-R: base-model (6,600,000 Yen/$55,500), V-spec (8,000,000/$67,225), and Evolution (12,000,000/$100,800). It is thought that all three models will be fitted with the same powerplant, however, putting the entry-level GT-R on the market at such a competitive price naturally means that certain sacrifices have to be made, and hence cost-cutting measures are likely to result in fewer high-tech adornments in comparison to the upper echelons of the GT-R model spectrum. While both the V-Spec and Evolution models are likely to be fitted with a semi-automatic dual clutch DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox), boasting six-speeds, and similar in nature to the R-Tronic system found on the new Audi R8, the prohibitively high cost of this piece of state-of-the-art gadgetry means that such a gearbox will not be finding its way onto the base model, which will duly have to make do with a cheaper, and, no doubt, slower six-speed manual transmission. The base model also makes do with four-pot calliper brakes, while both the V-spec and Evolution are expected to come complete with six-pot calliper systems. Although, Skyline GT-Rs, from the nascent R32 onward, have customarily been equipped with Brembo brake systems, it appears that Japanese firm Akebono, with their recent foray into Formula 1 in partnership with McLaren, may also be in contention to supply brakes for the new GT-R.

While the V-spec GT-R gains a two-pedal DSG transmission and six-pot callipers over the standard car, it will also differ cosmetically, with a more prominent rear wing and rakish front bumper. The V-spec will also sport lighter alloy wheels. Meanwhile, the GT-R Evolution, currently pencilled in for release a year after the standard car, in Autumn 2008, will be to the GT-R what the GT3 is to the Porsche 911: a stripped-out, lightweight road-racer, set to form the basis for the NISMO machines participating in the Japanese Super GT Championship. As with the 911 GT3, the GT-R Evolution will do away with its rear seats and make extensive use of high-tech materials in the pursuit of lightness: the bonnet, rear wing and diffusers will be hewn from carbon fibre, while the standard steel doors will be replaced by aluminium items. It has also been postulated that the Evolution will be home to a hand-built, hand-fettled version of the standard car's engine however, power output and performance are not expected to differ overtly from the standard powerplant. Cosmetically, the Evolution will gain an even more agressive rear wing, while certain pieces of carbon fibre trim are expected to remain unpainted.

While such details and comparatively reasonable pricing certainly whet the appetite, only time will tell whether the GT-R proves to be an adequate, cut-price alternative to the omnipotent 997-model Porsche 911 Turbo.

Source: Best Car Magazine (Japan, 10th April Edition)

http://automobiliajaponica.blogspot.com/

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Yum....can't wait to see what it looks like!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

$100,000 for a V6 huh? . As a GT-R fan I'm disappointed

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

That's actually GREAT news. 55k for the base car will undoubtedly beat the M3 by a significant margin. The 67k of the V-spec might even too, if they price the M3 near the RS4.

I personally really like the look of the show car, so if I can get that styling with 400+ hp for 55k I'll be taking a serious look (a year after the intial release when they start selling them for insane prices instead of the initial gouge ... anyone remember the 10+k Nissan dealers wanted for the 350z at first?)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

this is seriously going to be one kick ass car. can't wait to see these around i'd like to see how it fares around the M3 and RS4 range. i doubt they can outsell the BMW range with a nissan since the uneducated ( in cars) will think nissan is inferior so they won't buy the awesome machine! man this makes me want to be a salesman for a few months for nissan just to show people
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

i can't wait, sounds real mean. the Japs need to start getting serious about performance. about damn time they brought that damn car to the States.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Marven
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 Sedan

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
      03-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
kapoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Corvette C8

Garage List
2009 Subaru WRX STi  [0.00]
2009 Scion tc  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
$100,000. With that kinda money, i would rather get an M5 or M6. Anyone agree?

Previous Rides: 2007 BMW 335i, 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS, 2009 Scion tC, 2009 Subaru WRX STi, 2013 Yamaha YZF-R6, 2014 Yamaha YZF-R1, 2000 Honda Civic Sedan, 1997 Honda Civic Hatchback EK9, 2006, Acura RSX Type-S, 2019 Shelby GT350, 2023 Ford Ranger Raptor
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoo View Post
$100,000. With that kinda money, i would rather get an M5 or M6. Anyone agree?
+1... I can buy a M6 here with that money...

I'd settled with this VspecII...Fraction of the cost

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32 View Post
Oh c'mon dude...the Porsches all have 6 cylinder engines as well. They all cost near that price point as well.

I'm sure it will be a beast. There is a lot you can do with just 6 cylinders...even properly turbo'ed 4 cylinder engines are fast (like the EVO).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 10:45 PM   #11
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Oh c'mon dude...the Porsches all have 6 cylinder engines as well. They all cost near that price point as well.

I'm sure it will be a beast. There is a lot you can do with just 6 cylinders...even properly turbo'ed 4 cylinder engines are fast (like the EVO).
I know what you're trying to say but i just can seem to justify spending that much money on a car based off the g35 platform but with a turbo setup and a DSG box. I'm not beating down on the car, i think its a design marvel coming from Nissan .

Porsches on the other hand don't really have an option but to go with a flat 6s due to design restrictions. Pardon my bitchness about this topic, i'm just used to seeing these cars turned into beats, not bought off the self for ridiculous amount of money and calling it a day
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

I don't think they will sell for such high prices, car prices aren't 1:1 currency exchange. This 400hp field is getting more and more competition which is excellent news!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I know what you're trying to say but i just can seem to justify spending that much money on a car based off the g35 platform but with a turbo setup and a DSG box. I'm not beating down on the car, i think its a design marvel coming from Nissan .

Pardon my bitchness about this topic, i'm just used to seeing these cars turned into beats, not bought off the self for ridiculous amount of money and calling it a day
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
i doubt they can outsell the BMW range with a nissan since the uneducated ( in cars) will think nissan is inferior so they won't buy the awesome machine! man this makes me want to be a salesman for a few months for nissan just to show people
      03-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

At those price points the real question is not whether it can beat a Porsche, but rather how will it do against its natural price point competitor in the US, the C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E. Vegas is taking bets folks.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #15
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

i think nissan sales man in 2006 san francisco autoshow told me that skyline will wear infiniti badge, not nissan. Price bring up? :
      03-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
At those price points the real question is not whether it can beat a Porsche, but rather how will it do against its natural price point competitor in the US, the C-O-R-V-E-T-T-E. Vegas is taking bets folks.
heh. my money's on the vette 100%. no car for remotely the same amount of money can even come close to touching a z06.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
with a price range from $55,500-$100,800 they better have what it takes to mark that kind of price. but being a fan i would probably still prefer the GT-R to the Corvette as i think it's more capable of having more fun with it than the Z06.
this all is imo
      03-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
with a price range from $55,500-$100,800 they better have what it takes to mark that kind of price. but being a fan i would probably still prefer the GT-R to the Corvette as i think it's more capable of having more fun with it than the Z06.
this all is imo
also the good thing about the GT-R is that you don't have that "corvette" image that we all hate so much lol.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
also the good thing about the GT-R is that you don't have that "corvette" image that we all hate so much lol.

so true:rocks:
      03-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #20
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Well I put my money on the Vette, Z06 and the upcomming Stingray (or Blue Devil). it is a lighter car (no AWD).

As for the image thing - non JDM fans have no image of the Nissan GT-R and will have just as hard a time to justify the Nissan price point as the Corvette. In fact the Corvette is getting over its image problems and even inveterate US haters like Top Gear respect the Vette (on the track only, but still).

I think that someone who wants a Porsche will not look at the GT-R in any configuration for the same reason that they don't look at a Corvette.

But anyone who has respect for the GT-R and would consider getting one cannt ignore the pure performance of the Vette. As for the interior, neither have in the past been know for the refinement of their interior, so potential buyers obviously do not really care much for this.

It will be therefore, IMHO the more interesting and relevant comparison.

PS-those Pshop pics scare me, I hope the GT-R looses some of that nose.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Corey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '92 240SX

Like others, I think if the GT-R sales suffer it will be because americans don't know the legacy behind the badge. I also think it's too early to compare it to the corvette as we have no idea what the car will be capable of except that Nissan is aiming at the 911 Turbo. Either way I'd rather have the japanese circuit legend than every american grandpa's dream.

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #22
TommyBahama
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

the new Vette will be insane.

as for the vette image, the same can be said for paying 100k for a ricer...
Appreciate 0