BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos What do you think of this car?

03-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

What do you think of this car?

I think a lot of people have either forgotten, or never paid attention to this one. I have driven one and boy oh boy does it have some grunt, it handles and brakes well too. I believe in the top gear test vs. an S4 it demolished it on the top gear track with the only set back being some bongs and feeling cheap.

I have been in Cadillacs with some years/miles on them and like most domestics they don't age well but I think this may be an exception, do you guys think so?

2004-2005 Cadillac CTS-V 6 Speed:

-5.7L 400hp/395tq

0-60 mph: 5.1
1/4 mile: 13.48 Says motor trend but I believe much faster stock times have been achieved... high 12's.
Braking: 115ft
EPA:16 city/25 highway

I believe you can get these with low miles for low $20k's now. They have a stock rear end problem, but that can be fixed I'm sure for much less than VANOS or something out of an M5, or the problems of a B6 S4. The interior is sort of cheap but oh well. What do you guys think of this?

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

That car is awesome. Get it in black though.

Are you buying one?

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

New ones are much nicer, might even be fair game vs an M5 in speed and quality. The older ones have really terrible interiors imo, on par with what I'd expect in a Cobalt or something

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Great thread! I've been thinking the same thing lately. I've also heard about the rear ends, does anyone have experience with these cars? How much to take care of the rear end issues? Obviously the new ones are so much better, but these cars are selling for so cheap!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Great thread! I've been thinking the same thing lately. I've also heard about the rear ends, does anyone have experience with these cars? How much to take care of the rear end issues? Obviously the new ones are so much better, but these cars are selling for so cheap!
The interiors may not be top quality, but they look decent. Unlike the Cavalier, Silverado style with the green lights and 90's dials and buttons. They have HID's too which I like. As far as the rear end is concerned I believe the stock one may or may not go out on stock power and I believe the only thing aftermarket as of 6+ months ago was a built rear end around $5,000 bucks if you didn't want to replace it with OEM. I would like to think someone has or will come up with something to fix this, aftermarket wise at an affordable price ($2,500 or so).

The LS1 Fbody (98-02) had a horrible stock 10 bolt rear end but there are plenty making gobs of power once that was corrected. I believe this car is extremely strong aside from the rear end issue.

I would have nothing but confidence buying one if the goal where to be M5 tromping, I've heard of these things breaking 12's in stock form and the powerplant in this car with even just bolt ons responds very well. Headers, exhaust, LS6 intake, lid, cam = $3,000 bucks or so and is surely good for a low 12, maybe even 11's... but then the rear end comes back into play.

I swore I wouldn't buy a domestic as my next car, but this thing is so tempting because of all it does well I wanted to know if others would sacrifice interior bla bla bla for something like this.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

The 2004-2005 CTS-V had a plethora of problems. I would definitely stay away.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
The 2004-2005 CTS-V had a plethora of problems. I would definitely stay away.
No they didn't

Check out ls1tech.com
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

hmm...I recall seeing the TopGear vid, and I don't think it "demolished' the S4 on the track. If anything the CTS-v was quicker in a straight line, but the S4 caught up in the twisties.

edit:
found the vid:

Great car, but honestly somewhat forgettable. The new one, though, that's another story!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
I didn't like the interiors then; my only gripe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Its interior is the only issue. Other than the humiliating badge obviously.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
No they didn't

Check out ls1tech.com
Apparently there were a few issues with the rear Diff.

http://reardiff.jon04ctsv.com/
      03-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Apparently there were a few issues with the rear Diff.

http://reardiff.jon04ctsv.com/
I said that, he was implying there was more than the rear end. DOT is actually now investigating the rear end issue, the failures at least not the leaky or whining ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some sick pics I found of a couple...

Makes me wonder if I could put up with the rear diff risk...

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miktrebla09 View Post
hmm...I recall seeing the TopGear vid, and I don't think it "demolished' the S4 on the track. If anything the CTS-v was quicker in a straight line, but the S4 caught up in the twisties.

edit:
found the vid:

Great car, but honestly somewhat forgettable. The new one, though, that's another story!
The CTS-V put BUS lengths on that S4 in the straights, and in the corners the S4 understeered it self to death and never even got side by side with it. I stick with the word I used, the word demolished... put the CTS-V and that S4 on a bigger track and it would be even worse for the S4... make it a short one and it still wouldn't win.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
The CTS-V put BUS lengths on that S4 in the straights, and in the corners the S4 understeered it self to death and never even got side by side with it. I stick with the word I used, the word demolished... put the CTS-V and that S4 on a bigger track and it would be even worse for the S4... make it a short one and it still wouldn't win.
Well what would you expect? The S4 is deficient by ~60hp and ~100ft/lbs.

Put them in the wet and it would be a completely different story.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Well what would you expect? The S4 is deficient by ~60hp and ~100ft/lbs.

Put them in the wet and it would be a completely different story.
ANYways, back to the CTS-V... this thread isn't supposed to be turned into an S4 vs. CTS-V thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of comparing an E39 M5 to it. I think the M5 has more issues than the V though, but both come extremely close in the straights, I'm not sure about a track though. I don't know how well the M5 handles/brakes. I do know that the VANOS failures being so common alone are enough to rival the rear diff issue of the CTS-V.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:

Not a fan of the car but I do like this pic
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well, in the S4's defense, losing "bus lengths" in the straights and catching up to within feet of the rear of the CTS in the twisties says something about the cornering capabilies of both cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
ANYways, back to the CTS-V... this thread isn't supposed to be turned into an S4 vs. CTS-V thread.

I was thinking more along the lines of comparing an E39 M5 to it. I think the M5 has more issues than the V though, but both come extremely close in the straights, I'm not sure about a track though. I don't know how well the M5 handles/brakes. I do know that the VANOS failures being so common alone are enough to rival the rear diff issue of the CTS-V.
Yeah, from what I understand there's an inherent design defect with the Vanos. I'm not sure if BMW recalled these units on the E39, but I'm sure it's well documented on m5board.com.

I read on some publication (it could've been C&D or MT) back a few years ago where they pitted the e39 vs E46 vs CTS-v, and the former 2 beat the latter by a decent margin around the track.

For strictly bang for the buck and outright mod-ability, I'd go for the caddy. But that interior....gahhhh (I've sat in a regular CTS and I was appauled).
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #20
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, in the S4's defense, losing "bus lengths" in the straights and catching up to within feet of the rear of the CTS in the twisties says something about the cornering capabilies of both cars.
There must be pieces missing, if the CTS-V can destroy the S4 like that in the straights, but the S4 is behind it in the corners, but can't out turn it... it must not be that great in the corners either compared to the CTS-V. If it were so great in the corners to be right behind it like that, then it has the ability to pass the CTS-V in the corners and lose it again in the straights... which it didn't do.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There must be pieces missing, if the CTS-V can destroy the S4 like that in the straights, but the S4 is behind it in the corners, but can't out turn it... it must not be that great in the corners either compared to the CTS-V. If it were so great in the corners to be right behind it like that, then it has the ability to pass the CTS-V in the corners and lose it again in the straights... which it didn't do.
It doesn't matter how quickly a car does corners if the car in front does not allow the rear car to pass. Haven't you watched Best motoring?

Yup, it definitely could've been trick editing done by the producers to make the race more interesting.

Anyway, if you don't mind the interior surfaces peeling, the upkeep of the rear end, and the shoddy tranny, then I'd say go for it. It does present a great performance/$ value.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #22
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't matter how quickly a car does corners if the car in front does not allow the rear car to pass. Haven't you watched Best motoring?

Yup, it definitely could've been trick editing done by the producers to make the race more interesting.

Anyway, if you don't mind the interior surfaces peeling, the upkeep of the rear end, and the shoddy tranny, then I'd say go for it. It does present a great performance/$ value.
The transmission is fine as long as you replace the stock shifter, and considering the alternatives this is a significantly less PITA option. S4, M5, S60R, S6 etc...
Appreciate 0