BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Good Samaritans Lift Fiery 5-Series Off Trapped Motorcyclist

09-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Here's a question for everyone who is wondering why the cops did not do CPR? What if they could see him breathing? Why would you do CPR then? That's basic CPR training. Also I'm 100 percent sure that not a damn person on this site would go mouth to mouth with someone who is spitting up blood and might have some crazy herpes! That I am sure of.........well.......unless that person already has some.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
mastermayhm
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

quite bothering with calling people dbags and how worthless cops are....check the fckin video outtt....badass random people got to together and beasted to get the car off the kid....thats awesome...
      09-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
docjay
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
The one chick kind of leading the thing looked pretty hot Someone needs to find out who she is. Not many young women out there that would put themselves in harms way like that.
+1
      09-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #26
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

they couldnt flip the car over cause the driver door was open LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #27
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

Wow!! thank everyone for help this man.
      09-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #28
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
They aren't trained to perform first aid. Cops are not suppose to touch an unconscious injured person for fear of making matters worse and also getting sued. That's what the EMT's are for and probably who they were calling.
That is not correct. All police officers are trained to perform CPR, and are to do so once the scene is safe, and have checked the victim to see if he/she shows any vital signs.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #29
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKI335I View Post
i think by him laying the bike on the ground was his best move. if he would of drove head on he would of flew off his bike and crack his head open.
Hope you're not a motorcyclist. If you are, please attend training. The point is that by laying the bike on the ground, you are guaranteeing that you are going into or under whatever is in front of you--you are giving up all ability to actually stop. By keeping the rubber on the road and using your brakes progressively, you have a much better chance of stopping. Also, it's unlikely that anyone actually lays the bike down on purpose--it's generally due to panic braking on the rear brake and losing the rear. Training and practice can help you avoid this.

On the other hand, if you think sliding under a burning car is your best bet...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #30
fq1
Private
Rep
Drives: 545i, 325i, X3 3.0

You are absolutely correct. It's the principle everyone learned in high school physics: coefficient of static friction vs. the coefficient of sliding (or kinetic) friction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
Hope you're not a motorcyclist. If you are, please attend training. The point is that by laying the bike on the ground, you are guaranteeing that you are going into or under whatever is in front of you--you are giving up all ability to actually stop. By keeping the rubber on the road and using your brakes progressively, you have a much better chance of stopping. Also, it's unlikely that anyone actually lays the bike down on purpose--it's generally due to panic braking on the rear brake and losing the rear. Training and practice can help you avoid this.

On the other hand, if you think sliding under a burning car is your best bet...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #31
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I read a long while ago that most bike casualties were caused by hitting their heads on the windshield/roof. If that's true then laying the bike down seems like it was his best bet although nothing smart about not wearing a helmet...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #32
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Here's my take: If you're riding a motorcycle, even if you're wearing a helmet and know everything about motorcycle safety, you are still VERY succeptable to injury and death regardless. I will never ride one, period. I like having 4 wheels and a steel frame around me going 80mph personally. I dunno why you guys are griping over what to do or not to do during a motorcycle accident. 90% of the time if ur on the cycle, ur fucked anyways, period. There is no "school taught" knowledge on how to not freak the fuck out during a split second action played during driving on a motorcycle.

The guys lucky to be alive and yay for the people who lifted the car..and to be honest the fatass was probably just in shock and didnt know what to do. If Id just RUN OVER a fucking person I think id be quite out of it as well
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #33
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Crazy how quickly this news story spread. I saw it happen on local news about 10 minutes after it happened. Glad that both drivers are safe.
      09-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #34
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI BMW E90 Black

anyone find it a bit ridic the cops just left the guy about 8 feet from a burning car crash that could have exploded. get the guy onto the grass out the sun and covered up before his skin burns more been that close to the flame.

good job to the people who lifted the car
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #35
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
Amazing video & people to risk their own lives for a stranger...But I have to ask, is the headlight on the whole time of this video? it looks like it to me, sorry just an observation,
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #36
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Amazing video & people to risk their own lives for a stranger...But I have to ask, is the headlight on the whole time of this video? it looks like it to me, sorry just an observation,
It looks like the light is on. Wonder if the car is still running?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKV Jetta

Okay, first thing in first aid is asking the question; is the area safe for me? I honestly think the fire should have been extinguished before trying to do anything with the victim. Once that was done first aid can start. Another thing with moving the victim like they did (quickly and without regard for head movement) is that this could have led to serious injury to the spine or in some cases I've seen it can actually kill a person that otherwise could have been saved if they were transported correctly. So again....the fire should have been extinguished before doing anything.

IF (this situation was probably a one off) anything in the car or on the motorcycle combusted violently that would have been 5-7 more people injured or even worse....Dead.

Either way props to the people who lifted that car and saved the person....all odds were with them.

PS. If the police officers saw visible signs of NORMAL breathing, there would be no need to perform CPR. Instead the primary survey for first aid should have been started.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #38
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Crazy seen, glad nobody was killed.

The guy in the suit is clearly the owner of the 5er!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #39
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

I dont get it why the pink is in ur car... I have mine at home...
      09-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #40
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Suit should get ticketed, Useless cops should get fired, the kid fails to make the Darwin Awards and the chick should be on the news so we can get a better look at her.

Anyone who who tracks her down gets respect points.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #41
Lowkey335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i/04 e46 M3/11 SRX-4

Man, that kid is lucky. Good to see some good news for a change.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #42
halfmonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
1. Guy in the suit came from the right of the screen, possible that it was his car. But not 100% certain. If it was his car, the guy is the biggest douche bag ever. Guy did not lift a finger to help while everyone else was scrambling. Actually even if it was not his car, he should have dived in to help. What a useless human being.

2. I agree, girl looked pretty hot.

3. Cops should have performed CPR AFTER the fire was extinguished. Their number one priority before checking for vitals is to ensure the area is secure...a flaming car and bike would definitely cause the area to be in danger, and everyone in close proximity was in danger. So getting the guy out from under the car, and getting the extinguisher to take out the fire was the right move.

Right after however, they failed to go to the guy lying on the floor to check vitals, and then perform CPR. Also considering the smoke created from the extinguisher...it could not have helped the guy lying on the floor breathing it in.

Cops started off strong, but failed in the end to do the right thing.

General public however jumped in from the beginning to end doing the right thing. Thumbs up to them....excluding of course the guy in the suit....fucker should go sky diving without a parachute.
It's not confirmed in the video if it's his car but we're all guessing it is because why else would you just stand around while a bunch of other people are lifting a car up to save someone's life. So either it's his car and he's a total d-bag for standing around and not doing anything or he's a d-bag because it's NOT his car and he's just standing around and doing nothing. So anyway you cut it, he's a d-bag and should be roasted on national tv for just standing around. My guess is he's the owner. The man in the suit gets the d-bag award of the year.

She's probably a student and the construction worker on the scene first along with this girl should be giving interviews. She was the one that stuck around and checked under the car so she's def deserves some kudos.

I think the cops should have moved him further away from the burning wreck but considering I wasn't there and this all happened within a matter of moments, it's easy to say shoulda, woulda, coulda after the fact but during the time of emergency, you have to react within seconds. Either way, kudos to all involved EXCEPT the d-bag.
      09-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #43
burrito007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
That is not correct. All police officers are trained to perform CPR, and are to do so once the scene is safe, and have checked the victim to see if he/she shows any vital signs.
you sure bout that toronto?

does anyone else think maybe the dude in the suit didn't want to make matters worse? he was probably pretty freaked out if he just hit the guy.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #44
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
like many have stated, why the cops didn't perform CPR?
Additionally, the guy is laying there, and they are out with the fire extinguishers, try to remedy the fire. Well if he is laying there, trying to gasp for air, and they are using those extinguishers, he could have stopped breathing. SO if the fire didn't kill him, then the fire extinguishers would.

Bravo to those people that saved him...
Appreciate 0