BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Group U.S. Reports March 2016 Sales

04-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #177
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
funny you mention this. i have no idea why, but the current gen x5 has really caught my attention. i just leased an f30, but i'm already contemplating what my next car will be and honestly the x5m is fitting the bill so nicely.

thoughts? i want the m for sure because of the performance. after only two weeks with my 328i i'm itching for something more "fun". love the car and it does exactly what i want it to do, but miss driving something fun and luxurious at the same time hence why i've been drooling over the x5m.
dude, I think the new F15s is a huge step forward over the E70. Of course the classic complaint is with the electrical steering on all current gen BMWs. People who owned both (non-M versions) all have said, you just get used to it, and bc they don't do performance driving, it's pretty much not a negative factor.

That said, I can't comment on the M car. Personally, I would never buy a 5500 lb "performance car". I can say that, the 35i, 35d and 50i were all vastly improve in all aspects. But for a 35d customer like me, I'm more interested in interior/exterior features and MPGs over HP, which all got a big bump up.

Can you swing the payments and depreciation on the X5M? It's pretty unforgiving. I can barely swallow the depreciation on the current E70...yikes, my car depreciated a good $6k in the past calendar year alone, and probably eat another $4 this calendar year...and that's taking into account CA pricing and CPO tags.
      04-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #178
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
dude, I think the new F15s is a huge step forward over the E70. Of course the classic complaint is with the electrical steering on all current gen BMWs. People who owned both (non-M versions) all have said, you just get used to it, and bc they don't do performance driving, it's pretty much not a negative factor.

That said, I can't comment on the M car. Personally, I would never buy a 5500 lb "performance car". I can say that, the 35i, 35d and 50i were all vastly improve in all aspects. But for a 35d customer like me, I'm more interested in interior/exterior features and MPGs over HP, which all got a big bump up.

Can you swing the payments and depreciation on the X5M? It's pretty unforgiving. I can barely swallow the depreciation on the current E70...yikes, my car depreciated a good $6k in the past calendar year alone, and probably eat another $4 this calendar year...and that's taking into account CA pricing and CPO tags.
my e90 taught me a lot of things about what my preferences are when it comes to my "perfect car". right now i love the e90, but i can't handle it as a daily driver. the mpg alone drives me nuts.at the same time i can't get away from the performance factor either like i mentioned earlier. x5m seems to fit the bill and after i sat in one of my friend's 35i i was sold.

i can't swallow the depreciation so i would buy used. when my interest first started i immediately checked used listings and there were near none on the market or at least around my area. one example popped up: 2015 x5m, all options checked, 20k miles, cpo (i think? honestly can't remember), listed for $94k. once i saw that type of hit on a car that has barely touched the used market i was even more intrigued.

now i don't know if i want a car like that out of warranty or with limited warranty just so i can afford that type of car. i'm not that type of person. you also did bring up mpg, which for my every day car is an important factor to me, but not THAT big of a deal i guess. give me your thoughts!

m2 is really looking like the most realistic option, but i'm afraid for a daily it might be too much. even my e36 was getting to be too much since i barely have a highway commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #179
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
my e90 taught me a lot of things about what my preferences are when it comes to my "perfect car". right now i love the e90, but i can't handle it as a daily driver. the mpg alone drives me nuts.at the same time i can't get away from the performance factor either like i mentioned earlier. x5m seems to fit the bill and after i sat in one of my friend's 35i i was sold.

i can't swallow the depreciation so i would buy used. when my interest first started i immediately checked used listings and there were near none on the market or at least around my area. one example popped up: 2015 x5m, all options checked, 20k miles, cpo (i think? honestly can't remember), listed for $94k. once i saw that type of hit on a car that has barely touched the used market i was even more intrigued.

now i don't know if i want a car like that out of warranty or with limited warranty just so i can afford that type of car. i'm not that type of person. you also did bring up mpg, which for my every day car is an important factor to me, but not THAT big of a deal i guess. give me your thoughts!

m2 is really looking like the most realistic option, but i'm afraid for a daily it might be too much. even my e36 was getting to be too much since i barely have a highway commute.
really depends on your purpose. I'm buying a mid-sized family hauler SUV and not a replacement to my M3. So my needs are different. If I need an all-in-one, then I'll probably go with a F80 or a F10 M5 and be done with it.

To me, to carry 7 people and gear, it's nearly impossible to get MPGs in the 25-30 mpg range and "opitioned up" and under $45k. Diesel SUVs and the next gen PHEV SUVs (and yikes even the new Crysler Pacficia minivan) are the only ones that fit the bill.

I would say for you, if you dont' want to pay a double M tax on a SUV and a M car, I would go with a 35i and be done with it. It's plenty fast for its purpose. 35D if you need the MPG bump and towing capcity. Not sure if current F15 M sport offers a HP bump, but the last MY E70 M sports all offered a HP bump.