BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Repairs on frozen finish?

04-29-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Repairs on frozen finish?

Even though I think I am SOL, I figured I'd ask to see if there's anything that can be done. My Frozen Arctic Grey 540 was keyed/scratched by some asshole in a parking lot the other day. It's not super deep (the scratches don't catch nails when ran on them), but it's there. For someone who's OCD about vehicles and meticulous about paint condition etc, it is very real. Under the sun they are pretty clear on the passenger door side and then run up to the fender. Whole bunch of swirlies by the door handle and then some straighter ones towards the front of the door and the fender.

Is there anything that can be done short of getting the whole door and fender re-painted?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Even though I think I am SOL, I figured I'd ask to see if there's anything that can be done. My Frozen Arctic Grey 540 was keyed/scratched by some asshole in a parking lot the other day. It's not super deep (the scratches don't catch nails when ran on them), but it's there. For someone who's OCD about vehicles and meticulous about paint condition etc, it is very real. Under the sun they are pretty clear on the passenger door side and then run up to the fender. Whole bunch of swirlies by the door handle and then some straighter ones towards the front of the door and the fender.

Is there anything that can be done short of getting the whole door and fender re-painted?
If it makes you feel any better even regular paint would have the same repair. Nothing short of repainting the whole thing will work to get rid of deep ones but in your case a real good detailer may be able to touch it up. You can’t buff or polish it out. Just look for a great BMW paint n repair shop. If you’re as bad as me OCD wise and bought your car you may consider a clear matter wrap ironically to prevent it again. I take nothing more personal than people fucking with your property out of pure jealousy. At least look at at this way that someone is so pathetic and sad about their state in life they had to blindly take it out on you. I truly empathize as I’ve had shit happen to some previous cars.

Last edited by TopgearLA; 04-29-2018 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
If it makes you feel any better even regular paint would have the same repair. Nothing short of repainting the whole thing will work to get rid of deep ones but in your case a real good detailer may be able to touch it up. You can’t buff or polish it out. Just look for a great BMW paint n repair shop. If you’re as bad as me OCD wise and bought your car you may consider a clear matter wrap ironically to prevent it again. I take nothing more personal than people fucking with your property out of pure jealousy. At least look at at this way that someone is so pathetic and sad about their state in life they had to blindly take it out on you. I truly empathize as I’ve had shit happen to some previous cars.
Thank you for the suggestion. Yea, I can't get my head around as to how someone can stoop so low to damage someone's property for no reason whatsoever other than pure jealousy. The day after this incident I noticed our brand new Range Rover was also scratched on one of the plastic mouldings at the back where it looks like someone tried to scrape the letter 'R' into it. Unrelated incidents but just strange.

I had spoken to a detailer who mentioned with frozen paint you can't use wax as that will take out the dull finish of the frozen paint so can't buff/polish it out. On a regular paint with thin scratches I could have tried buffing/polishing. I had contemplated a wrap but having spent a lot of money on that in the past and me switching cars often it ended up being a further waste of money so I decided not to go with it this time.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-29-2018, 11:57 AM   #4
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Yea, I can't get my head around as to how someone can stoop so low to damage someone's property for no reason whatsoever other than pure jealousy. The day after this incident I noticed our brand new Range Rover was also scratched on one of the plastic mouldings at the back where it looks like someone tried to scrape the letter 'R' into it. Unrelated incidents but just strange.

I had spoken to a detailer who mentioned with frozen paint you can't use wax as that will take out the dull finish of the frozen paint so can't buff/polish it out. On a regular paint with thin scratches I could have tried buffing/polishing. I had contemplated a wrap but having spent a lot of money on that in the past and me switching cars often it ended up being a further waste of money so I decided not to go with it this time.
Ok if i were you i'd get a Dash cam asap as well as some surveillance if this stuff is happening. I know that solves nothing but wow. You certainly have it good so someone is not happy about that. Do you park outside or something? This is part of a huge reason I almost refuse employment and living situations without private garages... which is probably one my only high maintenance things.

I am by no means wealthy- not really poor but grew up so and havent had it really made and earn everything alone. My biggest and really only expensive expenses are my apartment and car... I take great pride in the car as I love them so I am always concerned about it. Its my one big gift to myself and I think for a lot of us, its our biggest toys/joys.

You know money as well as I. Cars are nothing but "wastes" of money if its not some classic you hold on to. I would possibly try to think of a way where maybe a repair is an upgrade if costs aren't that far different in percentage to the overall hit.

When I have something damaged on my cars, it usually means an upgrade is coming for it. Even as a kid I remember having one of those old nicer Mitsubishi Eclipses I bought myself and then i got in an accident. I upgraded the headlights, and bumpers to make it look like its better looking LCI as the parts cost exactly the same for insurance.

Sort of the only silver lining. For your case its tougher as its multiple paint parts, but maybe consider some mods to throw in that make the added cost part of it and bill it to your insurance and work something out with the body shop so all you might pay for are some parts but insurance covers all the paint as part of the original repair. I think when you look at this way, you may even smirk about it. Of course then you car will be even nicer and draw MORE jealousy
Appreciate 1
ksa1047.00
      04-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Those are actually all good ideas.

I've always wanted a dash cam and like the idea of it, until I got a 3 way unit professionally installed on my X5M last year. It started throwing codes every time I would start the truck up saying unusual battery drain. If the truck was parked for longer than 3-4 hours it would throw that code. So I got them uninstalled and even though I got the refund on the camera unit itself, lost out on the installation costs. Since then I haven't bothered getting it on my cars. I even had a transformer or whatever they are called that are supposed to manage the battery.

Plus, it was sort of a freak thing that both vehicles had this happened to them. They don't travel in same circles so I do not think it was the same person. Always stored in garages as well, never parked outside. The Bimmer I think happened at a movie theatre parking when I was inside watching a movie. I always do a walk around the vehicle before getting in and noticed this on the walk around after coming out.

I did that in the past with my 350Z. Essentially got hit in the front and took that as an excuse to modify the crap out of the front end. Lots of carbon fibre goodies, aftermarket bumper etc. Unfortunately I don't plan on doing anything to the Bimmer as it is a lease so kinda sucks.

Not sure if it's a big enough claim to go through insurance plus I don't want it to impact my clean record. May call them to inquire if vandalism claims impact my record and premium or not. Anyway, it is what it is I guess. Just a stated of mind. Us OCD guys are super anal retentive about stuff like this while other couldn't care less. I am hoping that with time I forget about it and it starts hurting less and less. Hahaha.
Appreciate 1
TopgearLA119.50
      04-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are actually all good ideas.

I've always wanted a dash cam and like the idea of it, until I got a 3 way unit professionally installed on my X5M last year. It started throwing codes every time I would start the truck up saying unusual battery drain. If the truck was parked for longer than 3-4 hours it would throw that code. So I got them uninstalled and even though I got the refund on the camera unit itself, lost out on the installation costs. Since then I haven't bothered getting it on my cars. I even had a transformer or whatever they are called that are supposed to manage the battery.

Plus, it was sort of a freak thing that both vehicles had this happened to them. They don't travel in same circles so I do not think it was the same person. Always stored in garages as well, never parked outside. The Bimmer I think happened at a movie theatre parking when I was inside watching a movie. I always do a walk around the vehicle before getting in and noticed this on the walk around after coming out.

I did that in the past with my 350Z. Essentially got hit in the front and took that as an excuse to modify the crap out of the front end. Lots of carbon fibre goodies, aftermarket bumper etc. Unfortunately I don't plan on doing anything to the Bimmer as it is a lease so kinda sucks.

Not sure if it's a big enough claim to go through insurance plus I don't want it to impact my clean record. May call them to inquire if vandalism claims impact my record and premium or not. Anyway, it is what it is I guess. Just a stated of mind. Us OCD guys are super anal retentive about stuff like this while other couldn't care less. I am hoping that with time I forget about it and it starts hurting less and less. Hahaha.

Sometimes i wait a few months to take on more possible damage or sometimes instantly fix it. You could try to get creative about it even though its a lease. I am also leasing but getting parts that i can sell after and getting all replica this time around for the hell of it. on my current f32 i swear a car wash curbed my sides a month into me having the car. It killed me. Paid $350 instantly to have it painted and then the paint job had a bubble so i just added the m performance vinyl to it as a result.

Be careful about calling the insurance though if you find its not expensive enough from your quotes. I once had all my tires slashed in college in the regular parking, just called insurance to see what could be done out of curiosity, and they ruled it during a "riot", and even though I paid for it out of my pocket they raised my rates due to me even being there.. god forbid i have my car.. at school.

BMW should sell paint and rim warranties for people like us. Would only help them at the end anyhow after you return your lease.
Appreciate 1
ksa1047.00
      12-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #7
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Well a dash cam probably wouldn't have caught anything and in a parking lot there are too many people. If it is expensive then this is a comprehensive insurance claim and shouldn't raise your rates. My comprehensive has only a $50 deductible which is much lower then collision. Good luck. I don't understand how people can touch someone else's car or worst be oblivious and open doors into it. Just because they don't care about their car.