BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bmw windshield vs oem windshield

01-17-2020, 02:54 AM   #23
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFISH View Post
I had a windshield replaced with factory glass and it was around $1600 at a glass shop vs. the $2300 the dealer quoted for the same glass. Price included some other misc items they had to replace because of the rain sensor and cameras.
You always have the option of filing a claim with your insurance company, but then a claim goes against you in the long run.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFISH View Post
I had a windshield replaced with factory glass and it was around $1600 at a glass shop vs. the $2300 the dealer quoted for the same glass. Price included some other misc items they had to replace because of the rain sensor and cameras.
You always have the option of filing a claim with your insurance company, but then a claim goes against you in the long run.
I am going to file a claim. I was at bmw for something else and asked them about replacing my windshield. As soon as $2300 came out of his mouth, I said I will go somewhere else. It would have been convenient to have it done there. I am sure they out source
My dealer brings it to safelite
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #24
tritus
Rep
Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
One thing many people don't understand is that most dealers will actually just call Safelite and have them replace the glass while you pay a premium for the middle man.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #25
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
One thing many people don't understand is that most dealers will actually just call Safelite and have them replace the glass while you pay a premium for the middle man.
So the secret sauce is the glass, not the installer.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #26
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslenutz View Post
And Safelite doesn't replace sensors. The dealership I go to says they do it themselves which is why they have to get the glass from the distributor for each vehicle. This would be my preferred route.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:04 PM   #27
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

In fact, my friends 340 did not need sensor replacement, although Safelite was prepared to do so. Everything calibrated and worked flawlessly after the installation (it has been raining in SA for the last three days) and they charged $1300, not $2100. His insurance had approved up to $1500, so covered it completely. Just sayin'

I, for one, will not be using the dealer if I ever need this done.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #28
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
In fact, my friends 340 did not need sensor replacement, although Safelite was prepared to do so. Everything calibrated and worked flawlessly after the installation (it has been raining in SA for the last three days) and they charged $1300, not $2100. His insurance had approved up to $1500, so covered it completely. Just sayin'

when I replaced a windshield a couple of years ago the Safelite tech who did the work at my house said they can calibrate but they have to do it at one of their locations, not in the field. Did the tech calibrate your cameras in the field?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #29
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

2018 BMW 540xi windshield replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

when I replaced a windshield a couple of years ago the Safelite tech who did the work at my house said they can calibrate but they have to do it at one of their locations, not in the field. Did the tech calibrate your cameras in the field?
I just saw a crack in my windshield—longer than a dollar bill—prob a rock by a truck during my commute.

The quote I got from BMW was $2,679. For parts and labor.

With Amica Insurance, I have full glass coverage and no deductible. Costs me nothing. Plus with a lease I'd be a little hesitant not to use branded BMW parts and labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #30
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
I just like going to the dealership for everything so there's only one place to hold accountable.
Agree 1000%. I’m sure I pay more to service my cars at the dealer. But, I do like the convenience of dropping it off and getting a nice loaner for a day or two, and I really like one place being accountable. Worth the difference for the ease/piece of mind, at least to me.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #31
gkcmilner
Registered
Rep

Just to add my experience with a recent windshield replacement on my 2012 BMW X5. Farmers recommended Safelite, but I wanted BMW glass. Dealership would not deal with insurance and I would have had to pay $2600 up front and then file a claim through Farmers. Farmers would not cover that cost. I asked Safelite what my out of pocket would be if I went with BMW glass and it was almost $800 (my deductible is $100). I decided to go with the OEM equivalent glass. Several months later the glass looks fine, HOWEVER, this windshield allows much more heat through the windshield. This is a problem in Texas. Also, Safelight put the wrong pad between the rain sensor and glass and it looked terrible. When I brought it back they said it was the only pad they had for my car and that what I was seeing (big bubbles) was normal. I was not happy with the answer. I went back and forth with them to no avail so I just ordered a couple new pads on eBay for a couple bucks and replaced them myself. Looks much better now. Also Safelite didn't replace a couple of the plastic panels in the cowl/fender area. I had to reinstall those correctly. I was not happy with Safelite. Also, I have added the OEM ryder to my insurance policy for both of my BMWs. It's only an additional $50 per year and guaranties that all future replacement parts will be BMW parts.
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #32
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcmilner View Post
Just to add my experience with a recent windshield replacement on my 2012 BMW X5. Farmers recommended Safelite, but I wanted BMW glass. Dealership would not deal with insurance and I would have had to pay $2600 up front and then file a claim through Farmers. Farmers would not cover that cost. I asked Safelite what my out of pocket would be if I went with BMW glass and it was almost $800 (my deductible is $100). I decided to go with the OEM equivalent glass. Several months later the glass looks fine, HOWEVER, this windshield allows much more heat through the windshield. This is a problem in Texas. Also, Safelight put the wrong pad between the rain sensor and glass and it looked terrible. When I brought it back they said it was the only pad they had for my car and that what I was seeing (big bubbles) was normal. I was not happy with the answer. I went back and forth with them to no avail so I just ordered a couple new pads on eBay for a couple bucks and replaced them myself. Looks much better now. Also Safelite didn't replace a couple of the plastic panels in the cowl/fender area. I had to reinstall those correctly. I was not happy with Safelite. Also, I have added the OEM ryder to my insurance policy for both of my BMWs. It's only an additional $50 per year and guaranties that all future replacement parts will be BMW parts.
That sounds brutal. A friend of mine who had a side window replaced by Safelite after a break in had quite a poor experience with their work quality as well. I haven't yet had a crack on the windshield, but if I do I'll be doing BMW glass at the service center. I have Liberty Mutual with the BMW package so BMW parts and BMW service centers are considered the same as Liberty Mutual garages for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #33
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
No, he had to make an appointment and take it in for that, they couldn't do it in the field, but the cameras calibrated automatically, so they didn't need to do it. Talked to him again today, and we have had some rain, and he said sensors and everything are working flawlessly. He saved about $800, based on what the dealer quoted.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #34
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:
No, he had to make an appointment and take it in for that, they couldn't do it in the field, but the cameras calibrated automatically, so they didn't need to do it. Talked to him again today, and we have had some rain, and he said sensors and everything are working flawlessly. He saved about $800, based on what the dealer quoted.
Quote:
Quote:
Waiting to find out if bmw windshield is covered in full. If not how much?

PPG made windshield will be 100% covered.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My insurance is covering the calibration
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #36
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Has anyone replaced windshield with oem windshield. Bmw wanted $2200 for a bmw windshield
Your insurance will replace it for free after the deductible. Mine did after several pits appeared mysteriously.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #37
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
The trick here is to have the right insurance. "Full glass" coverage is relatively cheap and is worth it. When my '17 G12 needed a windshield (with heads up), it was done at the dealer. Insurance is Chubb; they use Safelite to manage their glass claims, but there was actually no issue with coverage for BMW glass and all related calibration. The only issue was I had to pay the dealer up front; I received a reimbursement for 100% from Chubb within a week. I wanted the dealer to do it all so there was one place to look if there were any problems. It was done perfectly and having to pay upfront was the only downside, with effects diminished by using a credit card that got me airline miles. I have used Safelite before without issues and for chip repairs they are stellar, so no shade being thrown on Safelite, just preferred one stop shopping with the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #38
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
The trick here is to have the right insurance. "Full glass" coverage is relatively cheap and is worth it. When my '17 G12 needed a windshield (with heads up), it was done at the dealer. Insurance is Chubb; they use Safelite to manage their glass claims, but there was actually no issue with coverage for BMW glass and all related calibration. The only issue was I had to pay the dealer up front; I received a reimbursement for 100% from Chubb within a week. I wanted the dealer to do it all so there was one place to look if there were any problems. It was done perfectly and having to pay upfront was the only downside, with effects diminished by using a credit card that got me airline miles. I have used Safelite before without issues and for chip repairs they are stellar, so no shade being thrown on Safelite, just preferred one stop shopping with the HUD.
The coverage with Progressive is about $500 year. I'm currently rolling the dice.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #39
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The coverage with Progressive is about $500 year. I'm currently rolling the dice.
Quote:
Quote:
Local glass shop is doing mine tomorrow. Using bmw windshield and recalibrate cameras. 4 hour job due to recalibration
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #40
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Thuis is why insurance advertising is so misleading. I just looked at my Chubb policy and full glass coverage (no deductible) is included at ZERO cost with my collision insurance (which carries a $1000 deductible). Chubb premiums may be higher than Progressive but there is better coverage and service has been first rate -- never an issue with a claim and I can have the car repaired by BMW with BMW parts without having to fight for that.

One of the companies advertises (incessantly) "only pay for what you need." Well, how do you know what you need until you have a claim? And isn't insurance supposed to cover the unforeseen? The bottom line is you get what you pay for. I have used full glass coverage several times and would not have insurance without it. Glass claims are actually not even so unforeseen. With all the crap on the roads, it is not so uncommon to need glass. Sort of "not whether, but when".
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #41
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thuis is why insurance advertising is so misleading. I just looked at my Chubb policy and full glass coverage (no deductible) is included at ZERO cost with my collision insurance (which carries a $1000 deductible). Chubb premiums may be higher than Progressive but there is better coverage and service has been first rate -- never an issue with a claim and I can have the car repaired by BMW with BMW parts without having to fight for that.

One of the companies advertises (incessantly) "only pay for what you need." Well, how do you know what you need until you have a claim? And isn't insurance supposed to cover the unforeseen? The bottom line is you get what you pay for. I have used full glass coverage several times and would not have insurance without it. Glass claims are actually not even so unforeseen. With all the crap on the roads, it is not so uncommon to need glass. Sort of "not whether, but when".
The coverage varies from state to state. In Texas if it's accident related it will be covered under the typical comprehensive insurance policy. Some policies include free windshield repair, but not in Texas unless you have a specific policy for it. It's highly regulated based on where you live.

If you add up the cost of what that policy would cost me over two years, I could buy a windshield and on my way to half of another one. It just doesn't make sense financially for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #42
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

The glass used at the Safelite place wasn't OEM but another apparently reputable company. OEM glass in my experience pitted too easily making driving into the sun an annoyance. I wanted something different than OEM and am happy so far.

BMW OEM gaskets over the years have apparently not been the best, and neither are my current f10 front rotors which are not as good as Mercedes or Brembo, so lets not always think OEM is the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #43
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT540xi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I just saw a crack in my windshield—longer than a dollar bill—prob a rock by a truck during my commute.

The quote I got from BMW was $2,679. For parts and labor.

With Amica Insurance, I have full glass coverage and no deductible. Costs me nothing. Plus with a lease I'd be a little hesitant not to use branded BMW parts and labor.
Quick update. The dealer replaced the windshield. I did have to pay up front but got a check from Amica in 3 business days after I emailed them the receipt (cell phone pic). Happy with the install and glass. I also go to drive a 2020 540 with 1200 miles on while I was waiting 1 day for the install and drying.
Appreciate 0