BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Reliability and maintenance costs of a 530E

02-14-2020, 09:11 AM   #1
Dord94
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530E M sport

Reliability and maintenance costs of a 530E

Hi guys,

so I'm considering buying a 2018 530E M sport, I test drove it and fell in love with it. But one thing I've been looking into is reliability and maintenance costs.

I've done as much searching around as possible before posting here and I can't really get a gauge on either of these things. On one hand I've read tons of threads and forums saying how reliable BMW's are, and on the other I've read about how unreliable they are.

Can anyone with experience of owning a 5 series give me an indication of how reliable they are? Also, with yearly servicing and maintenance, what is the rough cost of maintaining this car? 1k / 2k per year?

I want to keep this car for at least 5 years, but I can't justify spending that much money on something that'll just be a money sink.

any help is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord94 View Post
Hi guys,

so I'm considering buying a 2018 530E M sport, I test drove it and fell in love with it. But one thing I've been looking into is reliability and maintenance costs.

I've done as much searching around as possible before posting here and I can't really get a gauge on either of these things. On one hand I've read tons of threads and forums saying how reliable BMW's are, and on the other I've read about how unreliable they are.

Can anyone with experience of owning a 5 series give me an indication of how reliable they are? Also, with yearly servicing and maintenance, what is the rough cost of maintaining this car? 1k / 2k per year?

I want to keep this car for at least 5 years, but I can't justify spending that much money on something that'll just be a money sink.

I haven't had my 530e long enough to comment on maintenance costs & reliability but can tell you that the BMW hybrid warranty is much better than Mercedes. In the UK the battery is warranted for 6 years or 60,000 miles for depletion more than 30%. The Merc warranty is for the same 60k or 6 years but only against total failure.

BMW say the battery life is approx 10 years and at that point it will not need replacing but will need plugging in more often. I have seen websites saying repair costs would be £ 3k - £ 5k
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have a loaded MSport 2018 530e. I have had it for about 26 months. Other than the latch problem on the small storage facility under the light switch (I had the facility replaced when I had my one year maintenance) and a couple of TSBs that were performed during routine maintenance, I have not had any problems.

Having said that, the car is filled with expensive equipment that is very pricey to repair/replace. My comfort level is that I have a four year OEM warranty and I have GEICO MBI insurance that will cover me for the three years after that.

I think that BMWs (and Mercedes, etc.) get a bad rap on reliability because they are so loaded with cutting edge technology. For pure reliablity, get a Lexus.
Appreciate 2
ted99242.00
jwong77319.00
      02-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
silberma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 BMW 540i  [0.00]
If you are worried about reliability and maintenance costs, the car is not for you. That is why knowledgeable drivers lease more than 2/3 of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord94 View Post
Hi guys,

I've been able to own a variety of premium cars and know what to expect maintenance/repair-wise. Budgeting $2,000/year or so, depending on how you drive it, seems reasonable.

The question of BMW, known for its electrical gremlins at times, is difficult to assess its hybrid tech, which so far appears to be problem-free. They may have collaborated with Toyota as have others.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
I've owned a 2018 530e since April of 2018. I've had one check engine light, and one broken active shutter. The check engine light was for a faulty regulator. Everything covered under warranty. I've also purchased the Geico warranty.

It's not as reliable as the wife's Lexus (which had zero issues in the same timeframe), but it certainly drives better and certainly looks better (IMO).
Attached Images

02-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I've owned a 2018 530e since April of 2018. I've had one check engine light, and one broken active shutter. The check engine light was for a faulty regulator. Everything covered under warranty. I've also purchased the Geico warranty.

It's not as reliable as the wife's Lexus (which had zero issues in the same timeframe), but it certainly drives better and certainly looks better (IMO).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post

Geico warranty is great. We are covered for 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Geico warranty is great. We are covered for 7 years.
As much as I dislike GEICO for buying Laser guns for the cops, I might switch from USAA for just this reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
Bebespapa
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
2018 BMW 530e  [0.00]
530e

We have had our 18 530e Xdrive for about 18 months, bought new. Not one problem other than the rear view recall, which isn’t really a problem. We plan on keeping it another 5 years. It fits our usage perfectly, which generally is trips less than 20 miles. We have huge climate changes over the course of a year and the ability to condition is invaluable. We have had three BMW’s, two bought new and maintained by a dealer were trouble free. The first, a X3 35i was bought used from a non BMW dealer with no real service history (live and learn). It had issues now and then, but BMW stood behind it. History is invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
Neoneo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Any owner of the 530e is experiencing low engine coolant issue (like that of the 2017+ 530i on the other thread )?
Appreciate 0