BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2015 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

03-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #89
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post

http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com

Last edited by dim635csi; 03-15-2015 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:00 PM   #90
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Its now official, there's more hype and excitement leading up to the race than the race its self. Might pass next one.
      03-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #91
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

It boggles my mind how the Benz engine can be so much more powerful. There's really no secret how to make power and we are not talking small obscure cash strapped small engine manufacturers. It's Renault, Honda and Ferrari for heavens sake. If it was reliability that had a large gap I'd understand but this much power gap? They should all be ashamed of themselves. Lol, I'm not signing up for a new NSX that's for sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #92
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It boggles my mind how the Benz engine can be so much more powerful. There's really no secret how to make power and we are not talking small obscure cash strapped small engine manufacturers. It's Renault, Honda and Ferrari for heavens sake. If it was reliability that had a large gap I'd understand but this much power gap? They should all be ashamed of themselves. Lol, I'm not signing up for a new NSX that's for sure...
I am genuinely curious what would happen if BMW would enter.

Hey the 6-cylinder should be right up their alley.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #93
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

I wonder if BoP adjustments should (or could...regs are pretty specific) be made to the Benz.

Haas better pull something magical out of their bag of tricks or they stand no chance next season(am I already talking about next season? That's not a good sign of 2015 keeping my interest)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #94
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Assuming it's the same engine, what I don't understand is the margin between the Mercedes Works team and Williams, Force India, and Lotus.

I could understand a few seconds of margin from aero, but it's hard to believe it's even the same engine.
      03-15-2015, 09:03 PM   #95
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
Assuming it's the same engine, what I don't understand is the margin between the Mercedes Works team and Williams, Force India, and Lotus.

I could understand a few seconds of margin from aero, but it's hard to believe it's even the same engine.
Even a few seconds is hard to believe. Unless they install the wing upside down or something they should all be able to set up the aero close.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #96
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:

I was thinking the same and I think Massa thinks the same too. But McLaren did state last year that a customer team cannot win the championship. All things being equal, Mercedes knows their engine better and they know how to utilize it. Also IIRC, I think Mercedes withholds the source code for the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #97
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

^ Depressing

On another note did you know, that Toto Wolff's title is "executive director (business)". It's not Team Principle or Racing Director.

You just don't feel much motorsport passion out of him.
      03-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #98
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU
Quote:

I was thinking the same and I think Massa thinks the same too. But McLaren did state last year that a customer team cannot win the championship. All things being equal, Mercedes knows their engine better and they know how to utilize it. Also IIRC, I think Mercedes withholds the source code for the software.
I thought all the cars using standard DME/ECU made by McLaren Applied Technologies. In this case, source code doesn't help much, because it is the same for everybody. Teams have their own mapping for sure, but it shouldn't make such a difference.

http://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechno...-ecu-formula-1
"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #99
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Differential between Merc and customer teams isn't that surprising I wouldn't say.

We're talking about a sport where an exhaust blown diffuser won championships. Remember that RB and Vettel were never fastest in the speed traps, didn't have overwhelming power. Merc have the strongest engine and look to have the best aero now as well. Some of the onboards with Lewis today looked very '13 Vettle'esque. No twitchiness from the chassis, no countersteer required. Full control.

Rest of the field is done for. Ferrari can't make up 30 seconds. As far as driver's championship is concerned, Nico is the only hope.

Ferrari v Williams should be interesting.

Gutted for Kimi.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #100
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
I wonder if BoP adjustments should (or could...regs are pretty specific) be made to the Benz.
Hell no!

BoP in F1...no thanks.

You want a balanced spec series, go watch any other racing series. F1 to me is more about the cars, not giving drivers the same level equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #101
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

That's true, especially when everyone else was testing their cars Mercedes was testing for reliability. Just shows how much further they were, even for testing.

There's always next year, and WEC. What about that GTR LMP1?
      03-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #102
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Hell no!

BoP in F1...no thanks.

You want a balanced spec series, go watch any other racing series. F1 to me is more about the cars, not giving drivers the same level equipment.
It'll never happen ... I was just "thinking out loud"
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 01:31 AM   #103
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Is it just me or are the cars sounding slightly better?

This is the close up of Crashtor, and hear the Mercedes V8TT of the GT/C63 at 0:33.

03-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #104
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #105
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I'm rooting for Button this season. Going to need a lot of help from typhoons, Maldonado, Perez and hopefully Kobayashi (if he gets a ride) to take out as many other cars as possible.
      03-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #106
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
The picture of Pastor that he uses killed me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #107
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Red Bull have warned they could quit F1 unless the sport's regulations are overhauled in the wake of Mercedes' crushing victory in the Australian GP.

On Skysports. Funny, weren't they doing this very thing a couple seasons ago?

Also, Red Bull has had talks about selling STR to Renault and Renault becoming its own F1 team. That'd shake things up for sure
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #108
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Red Bull have warned they could quit F1 unless the sport's regulations are overhauled in the wake of Mercedes' crushing victory in the Australian GP.

On Skysports. Funny, weren't they doing this very thing a couple seasons ago?
See this is the problem I have. I hate F1 now due to it not being competitive, but I don't want to see Mercedes penalized because they are doing it better than everyone else. McLaren is a complete catastrophe and I'd fire everybody involved, and many of these other teams have the same resources and talent as Mercedes. It absolutely boggles my mind that they can be so far ahead of everyone else.

I don't see a fix to the situation. The sport is just going to suffer tremendously because of this. Even when Ferrari and Schumacher were dominating everything, you still had the screaming V10s and the gorgeous tracks with history. There's just nothing saving the sport right now for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:19 AM   #109
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90
Quote:
Hell no!

BoP in F1...no thanks.

There is this, though:

""They are absolutely 100 percent right," Ecclestone told Reuters about the need to equalise performance.

"There is a rule that I think [former FIA president] Max [Mosley] put in when he was there that in the event...that a particular team or engine supplier did something magic - which Mercedes have done - the FIA can level up things.

"They have done a first class job which everybody acknowledges.

"What we should have done was frozen the Mercedes engine and leave everybody else to do what they want so they could have caught up."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #110
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I wouldn't read too much on Honda's performance into normal road legal cars. Like previous F1 experience didn't help Honda and Toyota on their road vehicles. I still wouldn't buy a Honda or Acura coz their boring vehicle line-ups....especially Acura consists of Sedans and SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
I am genuinely curious what would happen if BMW would enter.

Hey the 6-cylinder should be right up their alley.
Neh~ BMW doesn't do V6~

Quote:
Yah...I heard about McLaren lower their expectation before the race to just "finish". WTF!!! That's pathetic....what happened to Ron Dennis goal of being the best, and here to win. F***.....coming here to and finish the race will feel like a win. WTF is that shit!

Are they trying to make HRT, Manor-Marussia, and Caterham feel better? Or McLaren is trying to join them? Sh1t, Bruce McLaren will in anger and awake from his grave.

Quote:
There is this, though:

""They are absolutely 100 percent right," Ecclestone told Reuters about the need to equalise performance.

"There is a rule that I think [former FIA president] Max [Mosley] put in when he was there that in the event...that a particular team or engine supplier did something magic - which Mercedes have done - the FIA can level up things.

"They have done a first class job which everybody acknowledges.

"What we should have done was frozen the Mercedes engine and leave everybody else to do what they want so they could have caught up."
I also did recall McLaren mentioned about being a customer team (before Mercedes's primary customer was McLaren), they can never win. Also something related to the time-frame of Mercedes provide engine mounting drawings and etc to customers team were of course later than the works team.

Don't forget Mercedes develop their chassis and engine parallel in house. Where as customer teams will need to allocate some more room in engine compartment without knowing the final drawings provided from Brixworth, Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrain. That means customer team cannot fully optimize the chassis.

Also, Although the ECU were supplied by McLaren Applied Technology, and governed by the FIA. But there's also certain programming that can be done within FIA regulation. Such as engine mapping, clutch, etc. Perhaps there's some sweet spot that at certain RPM can do a better launch? Who knows. I'm sure Mercedes always have something close to their chest and up their sleeves.