BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Is there a watch brand you absolutely cannot stand? If so, why?

08-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
oneup335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Stock

I hate invictas I know its not a high end brand but for some reason I just dislike them
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneup335 View Post
I hate invictas I know its not a high end brand but for some reason I just dislike them
Yeah I would second that. QVC shopping channel having them on all the time may be part of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #25
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Invicta's are over the top with their size and weight.

I guess one could think they are perfect for facilitating a dive to the bottom of the ocean, although I do not recommend using them as a reliable timepiece. Suunto would be a better choice!
      08-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #26
mookie45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
I think Rolexes, as well as other 'luxury' brands are intended to serve a dual purpose of style as well as utility. To use your standard, anything other than a $25.00 timex could be considered ostentatious. A different degree perhaps, but ostentatious all the same. A very very very subjective term I believe. One man's Patek is another man's Timex. Just like cars and houses and wives.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #27
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Only in the sense that it epitomizes everything I hate about the designer market...where the name sells the object not the intrinsic value of the object itself.
I like some Rolexes such as the their dive watches but I have to agree that I'm not a fan of the image of owning a Rolex. It does seem to be the generic face of higher end luxury watches and many Rolex owners don't really know much about the watch itself other than "it's a Rolex".
      08-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
I agree. I can't stand them. They just copy everything they can and then somehow make it look more ugly and cheap.
      08-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #29
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
All the rhetoric about their styling aside, there's a good reason to dislike Invicta, at least as a company/brand: http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florid...od-fl-27002445 .

At least I can say that to their credit, the frequency of BBB complaints has gone down in recent times. That's at least a positive sign.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #30
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

hates Rolex.. drives a BMW..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #31
mookie45
Major
Rep

^LOL

I dislike MVMT.

Only because they do not distribute/wholesale their product so much. Probably since they are working on tight margins.

They are making a killing by themselves! Jealous.
      08-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #32
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I don't know why or where I got my intense dislike from, but anytime a salesperson says "Breitling", I cringe and tell them "no thanks".
      08-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #33
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Diesel because ugly as fuck. I like clean classy watches, however I just sprung for a rose gold NaviHawk which is super douchey looking, but I drive a bmw, ssoooo, I'm allowed lol
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #34
Vanmarsenille
In On The Kill Taker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB GLS550; 2016 RR HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem
I don't know why or where I got my intense dislike from, but anytime a salesperson says "Breitling", I cringe and tell them "no thanks".
Agreed! I can't really explain the origin of my dislike either, but I cannot stand Breitling.

Jesus Saves.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
Diesel because ugly as fuck. I like clean classy watches, however I just sprung for a rose gold NaviHawk which is super douchey looking, but I drive a bmw, ssoooo, I'm allowed lol
Something like this perhaps?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #36
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Something like this perhaps?

All the best.
The ironic thing is, almost 8 years ago I got married and I bought all my groomsmen diesel watches, one of them was this exact one you posted, but they use to look decent, now they're 60mm and bigger and just ugly as fuck Jersey shore looking pieces of shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #37
stevenopoly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
I can't answer for Steven but for me, Hublot just seems like it's an expensive knockoff of AD ROO. I'm not to familiar with the new inhouse movements they are now using (so maybe my opinion will change) but their Big Bang line (which is by far their most well known line) just seemed like gaudy AD Royal Oak Offshore copies with an ETA movement and an incredibly high price tag.

I mean I'm sure their cases are nice but for the money they charge for their watches you need more then just a nice case. But like I said, I was unfamiliar with their new movements so I will have to give them another review once I learn more.
This is the reason. To me Hublot looks like a shit and cheap version of Audemars. I would never get a Hublot when there's Audemars. And it isn't all aesthetics, but rather the horological history behind the company.

some poster said they didn't like AP aesthetically, which is fine. I used to not like it as well...until I saw one in person. Actually come to think of it, I only like the Royal Oaks and non of the Offshores.

My favorite brand is A Lange and Sohne, but too bad I'm poor.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #38
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post
This is the reason. To me Hublot looks like a shit and cheap version of Audemars. I would never get a Hublot when there's Audemars. And it isn't all aesthetics, but rather the horological history behind the company.

some poster said they didn't like AP aesthetically, which is fine. I used to not like it as well...until I saw one in person. Actually come to think of it, I only like the Royal Oaks and non of the Offshores.

As for Hublot styling, Gerald Gents who did the AP-Royal Oak also designed an IWC with similar bezel screw arrangement and Patek Nautilus that all have the Genta design elements. Unlike in photos, in-person I think each of the previous watches mentioned have distinct appearances.
As for the bracelet and lug design between AP and Hublot, if I were to guess they are traditional configurations inspired by centuries of jewelry/bracelets.
I'll make you a Hublot fan
I was just reading that Jean-Claude Biver of Hublot in recent years had worked at AP in the 1970's.

I encourage everyone to chk out the MB&F website.

http://www.mbandf.com

Last edited by overcoil; 08-27-2015 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2015, 09:44 PM   #39
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well, now. There's a company with a lot of history. The ALS we have in existence today was founded in 1994 (http://monochrome-watches.com/lange-...s-price-specs/). Hublot predates them by 14 years. The name of the brand predates that by a lot, but that company and the one around now aren't remotely the same. Otherwise, it's no different than any other company that uses/purchased a brand name.

Red:
What about the other non-Royal Oak related collections?

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #40
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
As for Hublot styling, Gerald Gents who did the AP-Royal Oak also designed an IWC with similar bezel screw arrangement and Patek Nautilus that all have the Genta design elements. Unlike in photos, in-person I think each of the previous watches mentioned have distinct appearances.
As for the bracelet and lug design between AP and Hublot, if I were to guess they are traditional configurations inspired by centuries of jewelry/bracelets.
I'll make you a Hublot fan
I was just reading that Jean-Claude Biver of Hublot in recent years had worked at AP in the 1970's.

I encourage everyone to chk out the MB&F website.
The bezel screw design language was introduced well before Genta designed the Royal Oak. Cartier applied the idea to their Santos watch ages ago in 1913 (I've seen various dates cited: 1904, 1910, 1911...for this post, the precise date is irrelevant) with the Santos Dumont.

In 2004, the watch shown above was offered in an updated version that carried the 430MC movement made by Piaget.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #41
stevenopoly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, now. There's a company with a lot of history. The ALS we have in existence today was founded in 1994 (http://monochrome-watches.com/lange-...s-price-specs/). Hublot predates them by 14 years. The name of the brand predates that by a lot, but that company and the one around now aren't remotely the same. Otherwise, it's no different than any other company that uses/purchased a brand name.

Red:
What about the other non-Royal Oak related collections?

All the best.

huh? Where are you getting your information.... A Lange was founded in 1845.

and i actually like the other non RO. I just don't like the ROO mainly because they are too huge and look cheap imo compared to the classic RO.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #42
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

and i actually like the other non RO. I just don't like the ROO mainly because they are too huge and look cheap imo compared to the classic RO.
Believe Lange completely folded during or after WWII due to Russian occupation ( located in East Germany )
Resurrected again in 1990's by Lange offspring and others.

Sometimes they refer to JLC, Breguet and some other as oldest continuous manufacturers but not Lange.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #43
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My mistake. The current ALS was actually started in 1990. 1994 is when they released their first watch.

The original ALS was founded in 1845. On 20 April 1948, the firm A. Lange & Söhne was expropriated and renamed to VEB Mechanics A. Lange & Söhne. Thus the company ceased to exist during the cold war. The company name was reborn in 1994 and that recreated ALS is what we have today. (https://www.richemont.com/9-press-ne...oultre-sa.html)

The ALS of today is not the ALS of 1845-1948; it is a new company. It is fortuitous for ALS that they have a Lange family member involved and that they operate from their old HQ. Those two things certainly help in "hiding" that it's a new company.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:50 AM   #44
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Believe Lange completely folded during or after WWII due to Russian occupation ( located in East Germany )
Resurrected again in 1990's by Lange offspring and others.

Sometimes they refer to JLC, Breguet and some other as oldest continuous manufacturers but not Lange.
None of them is. Gallet is the oldest continuous watch manufacture in the world. It's history dates to the 1400s. It is still owned by Gallet family members. I put some effort into finding out just "what's what" re: the Gallet assertion of tracing its lineage to the 1400s. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...ml#post8469717)

One can find the basic timeline of Gallet's history on Gallet's website or on Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallet_%26_Co.#Time_line . Understanding the role of guilds, business organizational structures, and so on will require more digging, but it will allow one to put together the whole picture. Or one can get the "Cliff Notes" version by reading the WUS post linked above. (not short, but shorter by far than doing the "digging" to put it all together oneself)

Aside:
Learning of the details of Gallet's history was like a trip through Renaissance history. It put a very human perspective on a lot of the stuff about which one read in school, particularly the story of the Huguenots and the Protestant Reformation. If you happen to watch the TV series Reign, the story line that deals with the Protestants in France is literally the same story from history that drive the watchmaking industry into Switzerland, and specifically to the mountains outside of Geneva.

Another thing I observed in the course of digging into Gallet's history is that one must very closely/critically read the marketing hoopla that one encounters re: "oldest company," "oldest continuous brand," etc. The discussion here -- http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...ml#post8460795 -- makes clear what is well understood by any businessperson: a brand and a company may be synonymous, but are not necessarily so. Whether the distinction is relevant depends on the context of the discussion at hand.

All the best.

Appreciate 0