BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions weird occurance

01-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

weird occurance

Yesterday I got in my car and started driving and realized that the steering wheel was still in the raised position blocking my view of the HUD. So I tried to use the control switch to move it and it wouldn't move. I even tried shutting off the car and starting it up again and it still didn't move.

I decided I had to call my SA the next day for a fix. But this morning, when I started the car, it worked fine.

Probably just a gremlin at work but wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:16 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Yesterday I got in my car and started driving and realized that the steering wheel was still in the raised position blocking my view of the HUD. So I tried to use the control switch to move it and it wouldn't move. I even tried shutting off the car and starting it up again and it still didn't move.

I decided I had to call my SA the next day for a fix. But this morning, when I started the car, it worked fine.

Probably just a gremlin at work but wondering if anyone else had a similar issue.

Steve
More than likely can be fixed with an iStep upgrade. My guess is dealer will try to update before taking a wrench to the car.
      01-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
More than likely can be fixed with an iStep upgrade. My guess is dealer will try to update before taking a wrench to the car.
Fixed itself. Worked fine all day yesterday. I am going to chalk it up to a random gremlin unless it repeats.

Thanks.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
miner42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Same SteveinAZ on Polk site?
      01-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner42 View Post
Same SteveinAZ on Polk site?
Not as far as I know unless "Polk site" is a term for something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
miner42
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

Polk Audio - just a coincidence I suppose.
      02-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I had exact same thing happen late last year on me. The electric adjust wasn't working at all. Tried a full shut-down on the side of the road, turned things on/off several times .. all to no avail. I ended up driving home with the wheel in the full up position (very awkward).

Next morning I had full intentions of taking it to the dealer - but.. all fixed again. Car must've done a full reset once it went to sleep for the night. I haven't had it happen since. I just had my 2nd year service done and asked them to check fault logs. All they mentioned was that they reset the fault codes, but they couldn't find any actual faults ..

I suspect a software bug. I think there's some secret key combo to get the car to do a full reboot. Must look into that for next time because I suspect it'll come up again at some stage.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #8
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

I had one weird occurrence too. Although mine was very different.

One day after work I started the car to drive home, and HUD wasn't working. It was just off. Also, when I started the car, the sound system was set to a satellite station I never ever listened to before. It definitely wasn't set to what I was listening to when I drove to work. Weird.

Also, I know someone is going to suggest either I had HUD turned off or I was wearing polarized sun glasses. Neither of those are true. HUD was turned on; I verified that, and I wasn't wearing sunglasses.

Later that evening, I went out to run a quick errand, and everything was back to normal.
      02-02-2020, 06:35 AM   #9
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

Mine did this, dealer replaced the control/memory module as it logged a fault.
      02-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. All of this proves why putting everything on a touch screen tablet is a bad idea for cars. Not only does it force you to take your eyes off the road but these types of electronics do tend to have gremlins, occasionally reboot, etc. If that happens, everything goes (e.g., a Tesla Model 2).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
I had exact same thing happen late last year on me. The electric adjust wasn't working at all. Tried a full shut-down on the side of the road, turned things on/off several times .. all to no avail. I ended up driving home with the wheel in the full up position (very awkward).

Next morning I had full intentions of taking it to the dealer - but.. all fixed again. Car must've done a full reset once it went to sleep for the night. I haven't had it happen since. I just had my 2nd year service done and asked them to check fault logs. All they mentioned was that they reset the fault codes, but they couldn't find any actual faults ..

I suspect a software bug. I think there's some secret key combo to get the car to do a full reboot. Must look into that for next time because I suspect it'll come up again at some stage.
I'm no expert but; I had the same issue once but I didn't try to adjust using the switch on the steering column. I shut down the car and started it up and it worked fine. I opened the door on the car and was moving stuff in so the door was open for 5 minutes or more. I think somehow if you don't get in and start it up right away it turns off the auto steering wheel positioning. It also turns off the garage door switch on the mirror. Also if you get this try turning off your car and locking it for at least 5 minutes so the computer completely shuts down then try again by getting in and starting it up immediately. See if that helps with the steering wheel auto positioning. As far as shutting the car down once you turn off engine, press down on the volume button and hold it for a few seconds and that will turn off all the displays. But there is a timer built in that turns off all electrical components after 5 minutes. Then the car is completely shutdown. How do I know about the 5 minutes. I was thinking of getting a Dash Cam and I wanted to see how long the usb ports stayed active. So I put my cell phone in a USB port and turned off the car. I watched the charging indicatior on the cell phone and it quit charging after 5 minutes or so. Why did I do this? Because I am retired and have no hobbies.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b74heavy View Post
I'm no expert but; I had the same issue once but I didn't try to adjust using the switch on the steering column. I shut down the car and started it up and it worked fine. I opened the door on the car and was moving stuff in so the door was open for 5 minutes or more. I think somehow if you don't get in and start it up right away it turns off the auto steering wheel positioning. It also turns off the garage door switch on the mirror. Also if you get this try turning off your car and locking it for at least 5 minutes so the computer completely shuts down then try again by getting in and starting it up immediately. See if that helps with the steering wheel auto positioning. As far as shutting the car down once you turn off engine, press down on the volume button and hold it for a few seconds and that will turn off all the displays. But there is a timer built in that turns off all electrical components after 5 minutes. Then the car is completely shutdown. How do I know about the 5 minutes. I was thinking of getting a Dash Cam and I wanted to see how long the usb ports stayed active. So I put my cell phone in a USB port and turned off the car. I watched the charging indicatior on the cell phone and it quit charging after 5 minutes or so. Why did I do this? Because I am retired and have no hobbies.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Seriously!!!!!
Appreciate 0