BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board My local gun store is swamped

03-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #177
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
Ok without spending an obscene amount of money or getting an FFL it is

But that's not what you originally said :-)

In all seriousness, there are about (only) 630,000 fully transferable automatic weapons in the US. That is what drives the price up on these firearms.

One could make the argument that the value of these firearms is continually going up. And more than one person has suggested it's like money in the bank and when you sell it you will most likely return a nice profit.

That is until the Hughes amendment is overturned.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #178
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Again, wrong.

It's just a matter of a tax stamp. And the price of the firearm.
And has one ever been used in any shooting you have heard of? Why not argue the space shuttle might kill some people it lands on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #179
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
And has one ever been used in any shooting you have heard of? Why not argue the space shuttle might kill some people it lands on.
Not sure what you are asking... or for that matter why.

Yes, there have been a few times when fully auto weapons have been used in a criminal manner.

Two of them come to mind. The first was a police officer when he used one to kill an informant. The second was the North Hollywood Bank robbery. Those guns were illegally modified, so not sure where that falls relative to your question.

As to the space shuttle analogy, are you just trying to be obtuse?

Last edited by andrewmr; 03-28-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #180
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

No you're trying to base gun policy on the likelyhood the space shuttle will land on people. People are the problem not the gun. Most gun deaths are gang stuff with handguns. Automatic doesnt matter. Youre trying to outlaw McLaren's because mostly mustang's kill people. That gun is black and scary I hate it cuz dont understand it! Oh no the boogie man.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50
      03-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #181
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No you're trying to base gun policy on the likelyhood the space shuttle will land on people. People are the problem not the gun. Most gun deaths are gang stuff with handguns. Automatic doesnt matter. Your trying to outlaw McLaren's becusee mostly mustang's kill people. I have one at hand now and several more close, they arent gonna do anything on their own.
Who are talking to?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #182
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Sorry thought you were little bear guy blathering on about owning attack dogs instead of guns cuz evil. Discussion of assault rifle and so on. There is no such thing really just a. Media scare tactic like a lot of things agenda driven. I need to get outside.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      03-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #183
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry thought you were little bear guy blathering on about owning attack dogs instead of guns cuz evil. Discussion of assault rifle and so on. There is no such thing really just a. Media scare tactic like a lot of things agenda driven. I need to get outside.
No problem..... I'll just delete my scathing reply to your prior post :-)

Go outside and take a few breathes.

And remember, that bear guy is entitled to his opinion, just as you are to yours. Even if he's wrong *GRIN*
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #184
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Yeah agreed.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #185
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

I was actually interested to see what little bear consider an assault rifle
      03-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #186
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaID_kKgKdY

03-29-2020, 05:12 AM   #187
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
I was actually interested to see what little bear consider an assault rifle
My answer won't satisfy you.
Go ask the folks in Las Vegas, who were slaughtered by a guy with an "assault rifle" with a bump stock. It's not relevant that we banned gatling guns way back when.
Wat up wit the fuss about limiting magazine size? More than a few mass shootings have been stopped when the perp had to reload, including when Gabby Giffords, a congressional rep was shot.
But all I hear from you gun fans is we have so many gun laws, and they are preventing us from doing so much good.

Did you give blood recently?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #188
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
I wonder how EEZOX works as a hand sanitizer?????
      03-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #189
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Just slap a no gun zone law on stuff like schools that should help, oh wait people breaking the law dont care. Maybe make it illegal to kill people?
Appreciate 5
      03-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #190
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just slap a no gun zone law on stuff like schools that should help, oh wait people breaking the law dont care. Maybe make it illegal to kill people?
Even if we had some 'perfect' gun law today, it wouldn't work for long. The 'criminals' are not going to stop trying to get around laws. New times need new tools.
Stasis doesn't work, ever. Nor does going backwards.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #191
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Sharks with lasers?
Appreciate 1
DieselOG1673.50
      03-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #192
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
DHS memo says gun stores 'essential' business as gun-rights groups sue states closing them

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...siness-gun-ri/
      03-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #193
adc100
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear;25982378 2
Did you give blood recently?Murf

Quote:
My post still stands.
About the time I moved to the Lower East Side of Manhattan, I bought a heavy bag & gloves. When we moved to Brklyn, we got a capable dog.
Seeing us walking the street was more of a deterrent than some scared person packing a hidden gun, and safer to others, also.
Yes I have given blood twice in the last 6 months.

Couple observations:

You are a Liberal [faux news]-thats ok

You believe that advanced countries have gun laws that work (read-they don't allow sellf defense.)

In general you believe good gun laws work.

Without totally disagreeing with you.

1. Most people that carry shouldn't - but it is their right.

2. Yes a gun in the home is overwhelming going to kill someone in the household. To fix that means banning guns. that won't happen. Anyway a knife will be used.

3. People like me who carry on occasion are not "scared" I have spent $6,000 in the last 5 years getting better training than 90% of cops. I am an NRA pistol instructor. I am not saying I am better at shooting than cops. I carry when I am in a situation where I am vulnerable..like eating at a restaurant.....I can't runaway. I am not scared I am prepared. If the situation ever comes up...I will hopefully be able to safely neutralize a threat that will protect others.

4. The horse is out of the barn. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the U.S. That is reality that can't be changed. I adapt to it.

5. Remember where Indie shot the sword man who appeared to threaten him. That swordman = your dog.

6. Criminals don't obey laws.

Again not totally dismissing your ideas.
Best!

Last edited by adc100; 03-29-2020 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 5
      03-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #194
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
You are a Liberal [faux news]-thats ok

You believe that advanced countries have gun laws that work (read-they don't allow sellf defense.)...

2. Yes a gun in the home is overwhelming going to kill someone in the household. To fix that means banning guns. that won't happen. Anyway a knife will be used.

3. ... I am not scared I am prepared. If the situation ever comes up...I will hopefully be able to safely neutralize a threat that will protect others.

4. The horse is out of the barn. There are hundreds of millions of guns in the U.S. That is reality that can't be changed. I adapt to it.

5. Remember where Indie shot the sword man who appeared to threaten him. That swordman = your dog.

6. Criminals don't obey laws.

Again not totally dismissing your ideas.
Best!
Hey!

I think we agree on a few things, but:
There are many degrees of self defense, deadly force being one. I would like the deadly force option to be less used, less needed, & less available.
Sometimes we see knives being used on the populace, such as in England. Do the deaths from these knife attacks ever reach double figures?
Millions of guns out there, with more being bought with every social scare. Where do the old guns go? Do you think all these citizens are disposing of their guns legally? We could do worse than having a giant buy-back like wot the Aussies did, to get these dangerous items off the streets.
Criminals don't obey laws & you & I speed. IIRC, when NYC upped the penalty for carrying guns, making it a direct trip to jail, the # of guns on the street fell.

Best, Murf
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #195
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post

My answer won't satisfy you.
Go ask the folks in Las Vegas, who were slaughtered by a guy with an "assault rifle" with a bump stock. It's not relevant that we banned gatling guns way back when.
Wat up wit the fuss about limiting magazine size? More than a few mass shootings have been stopped when the perp had to reload, including when Gabby Giffords, a congressional rep was shot.
But all I hear from you gun fans is we have so many gun laws, and they are preventing us from doing so much good.

------------------------------------

Even if we had some 'perfect' gun law today, it wouldn't work for long. The 'criminals' are not going to stop trying to get around laws. New times need new tools.
Stasis doesn't work, ever. Nor does going backwards.

-------------------------------------

There are many degrees of self defense, deadly force being one. I would like the deadly force option to be less used, less needed, & less available.
Sometimes we see knives being used on the populace, such as in England. Do the deaths from these knife attacks ever reach double figures?
Millions of guns out there, with more being bought with every social scare. Where do the old guns go? Do you think all these citizens are disposing of their guns legally? We could do worse than having a giant buy-back like wot the Aussies did, to get these dangerous items off the streets.
Criminals don't obey laws & you & I speed. IIRC, when NYC upped the penalty for carrying guns, making it a direct trip to jail, the # of guns on the street fell.

Murf

You bring up the Vegas shooting and quote assault rifle.... I'm just going to assume you quoted assault rifle because you understand that he did not use an assault weapon. But, whatever you want to call it, it was a senseless act.

Many anti gun folks bring this shooting, as well as Sandy Hook and other schools, up in their argument against guns. Most jump up and say we need more gun laws. Here's your chance, what would you suggest we do to help stop these tragedies.

Loss of life is a terrible thing. And there are other things we could go after to reduce the loss of life. How many people are killed by drunk drivers? Should we close all bars and restaurants? How about just stopping the sale of alcohol all together? Oh wait, we tried that a while back didn't we. How about smoking related deaths? Let's stop the sale of tobacco as well. Cell phones in cars..... sure let's stop them.

Have I mentioned a topic that you don't agree with? Let's go back to that alcohol topic. Why do we need to buy beer in lots of 24 cans. Should we limit it to 4 cans per person?

You do realize the largest (in current history) loss of life in the US (excluding 9/11) was the result of the Oklahoma CIty Bombing. They stole a rental truck, bought 3 barrels of nitromethane and a bunch of fertilizer and made a really big bomb. Should we limit the size of rental trucks? Should we stop the sale of nitromethane, afterall, is there really a need for it? How about fertilizer?

Now, I'm not saying shooting shouldn't be stopped. But going after the tools used isn't the correct answer (at least in a few peoples opinion). There are f'ed up people in this world and given enough time they'll show you how bad they are.

I would like to point out, that most of these mass shooting were carried out by people that have/had mental issues. As I understand it, most of them were on medication to combat their disorders. And most of those meds have some pretty serious side effects.

As was asked earlier, what's your answer? Don't be one of those that just bitch and wine.....

I just saw your reply so I want to say a little more about your post.

I too would like the use of lethal force to be less used. And I think the answer to that is make it less needed. Why don't you talk to all the bad guys and ask them nicely to stop. In the meantime, if the need arises I will use the force required to keep me and my family safe. It's that simple.

You bring up another of my favorite topics. Buy Back program..... I didn't buy my guns from the government so they would not be buying them back. But let's concede the fact that it's just a shitty name for a stupid idea. The money they would be using to buy them back (yeah, I used your term) is in fact my money that I paid in taxes. So, in fact, they would be offering a program that would allow me to sell my guns to the government with my money. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

And you have stats to support your comment on the number of guns on the street fell? I can certainly believe the number of legal guns (read law abiding citizens) declined. But that's not the group we are after is it?

Last edited by andrewmr; 03-29-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #196
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

This is Carlos, a Lab, Weimer, Pitbull mix. Notice the nice jaw, & the muscles upside his head where the brain is supposed to be. A gorgeous dog, we called him, "Carlos the Bod".
Carlos walked many a bad block with Littlebear & me. Sometimes we would have a third dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback!
Can you say, "No probs!".

Murf
Attached Images

Last edited by Littlebear; 03-29-2020 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #197
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey!

Best, Murf
I agree but I as the victim do not want to fight another guy who has a knife with a knife.
And again buyback won't work bc criminals won't sell theirs. Or they may and buy a better one that actually works. With criminals semis are almost likely to fail bc they don't take care of them.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #198
adc100
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is Carlos, a Lab, Weimer, Pitbull mix. Notice the nice jaw, & the muscles upside his head where the brain is supposed to be. A gorgeous dog, we called him, "Carlos the Bod".
Carlos walked many a bad block with Littlebear & me. Sometimes we would have a third dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback!
Can you say, "No probs!".

Murf
Nice dog!!!
I am sure he is a pit but when I was growing up we had a mutt 50/50 boxer and German shep.
Appreciate 0