BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Weak A/C on Max?

06-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW

Hey gang, I recently acquired a '17 CPO 540i xDrive. Overall, I am loving the car, but the A/C is very weak. Doesn't blow half as hard as my E46 M3 and not nearly as cold. During my hunt I test drove another 540 with weak A/C, but chalked it up to something being wrong with the car.

I live in a hot climate area and today was on the verge of sweating with the A/C maxed out. The middle vents barely blow any air at all. I also don't feel any airflow through the ventilated seats, even on the highest setting. I'm driving in comfort mode and have already adjusted the upper body driver/passenger settings as cold as possible.

Is anyone else's G30 A/C performing like this? Any other settings to improve the A/C? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

I have noticed the same thing as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
dberry08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i -> 2017 540i

I’ve noticed the same, Arizona is hot right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think in there is a software update for this for the early ie 2017 cars.
Search the threads here from a couple of years back
I have a 2017 model and noted it was a little lacking, slow to decide to blow cool air on a hot day. Ok but could be better.
Had my istep updated about a year later and noticed the difference
It's not viler but the logic is better so on a hot day it start to blow cool air quxketo.
I would describe it as adequate but I have had better systems in previous cars.

See if you can get the software updated by a dealer and hopefully before the warranty expires so you dont have to pay
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I have a 2017 model and noted it was a little lacking, slow to decide to blow cool air on a hot day. Ok but could be better.
It's not viler but the logic is better so on a hot day it start to blow cool air quxketo.

See if you can get the software updated by a dealer and hopefully before the warranty expires so you dont have to pay
Thanks for the info. I made an appointment at the dealer for Tuesday and I'm hoping it's something as simple as a software update. The middle vents barely blow any air, similar to setting 1 on my M3. And I can't feel any airflow whatsoever through the ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...349&page=9

This is the long thread!

Hopefully it's nothing hardware related. It might just need a rehash anyway. I'm getting my 2017 a/c service this week as it happens. My dealer said they recommend doing that every 2 years anyway.

Push for an istep update if you can . They might not be keen as it takes about 2 hours or so to do. But as I say this amends the logic so the noticeable difference for me was that on a hot day the a/c was more keen to cool the car down where's previously you would start the car and it would appear to wait a bit before starting to cool.

Have a read through the thread though
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberry08 View Post
I’ve noticed the same, Arizona is hot right now.
Yes it is. I have the 530e and this weekend with the temperature nearing 110 I used the condition now feature on the phone app to turn on the AC after the 17th hole. By the time I got to the car, I didn't even need to turn it on max.

Otherwise, if my car is sitting in the heat for a while, I turn it on max for a few minutes and then back to auto. Works okay for me but I am usually the only one in the car and I did get my windows tinted with a high quality ceramic tint.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialNerror View Post
...I also don't feel any airflow through the ventilated seats, even on the highest setting. ...
For the most part you won’t. You may have a misunderstanding of BMW’s ventilated seats. They are not designed/engineered like some car manufacturers that have “cooled seats” where ducting from the AC system is pumped through them.

BMW’s “ventilated” seats are designed to wick sweat/perspiration/moisture away from your body by designing air to flow through the seats. This design prevents you from becoming clammy or uncomfortable from cold air blowing onto your wet back/buttocks/thighs/etc.

My f06 GC (six series) has ventilated seats. In that model, there are 9 fans (4 in the upper back cushion, 4 in the lower cushion, and one in the extending thigh support section). My experience is that I usually can’t feel air on my back & butt...but I can usually feel the one in the thigh extension section. But that could be because more of the perforations are exposed which allows more air from the cabin to be drawn through the holes versus the lower & upper seat cushions were most of the air is being moved through the permeable layer beneath the perforated leather...wicking away moisture. And when I get to my destination...the back of my shirt and pants aren’t damp from perspiration.

See the explanation of the seats from the BMW TIS below:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

Wasn't there also an issue on early G30s with some foam insulation blocking airflow in the center vents? I've not had the problem but I recall mention of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep

I recall that aswell
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #11
dberry08
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i -> 2017 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Yes it is. I have the 530e and this weekend with the temperature nearing 110 I used the condition now feature on the phone app to turn on the AC after the 17th hole. By the time I got to the car, I didn't even need to turn it on max.

Otherwise, if my car is sitting in the heat for a while, I turn it on max for a few minutes and then back to auto. Works okay for me but I am usually the only one in the car and I did get my windows tinted with a high quality ceramic tint.
Condition now feature in the app? Please share more. Is it part of BMW ConnectedDrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Apologies if this sounds too simple. If it is cold enough on Max but not powerful on other settings then even with the temp set very low on Auto you can also set the fan speed on either side. If the fan speed is set low you get almost nothing through the vents. I’m sure this isn’t the problem but thought I would mention it just in case.

I initially thought that my 530e cooling isn’t as powerful as my previous E350e (or other Merc’s) but then realised it was, just not as loud. That said, the temperatures in the UK aren’t anything like Arizona, although they did reach 85f last week !
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions. I understand the ventilated seats don't actually cool, but I guess I was expecting at least some airflow. I can hear the fans, but can't notice any difference.

I'm dropping the car off at the dealer in the morning and will hopefully get some answers. Today was 100 degrees and again basically sweating on max so I have to suspect this isn't normal. I'll update the thread with any findings in case it can help anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberry08 View Post
Condition now feature in the app? Please share more. Is it part of BMW ConnectedDrive?
Yes. It only works on the phevs as it uses the hybrid batteries for power (it doesn't start the car, just runs the AC off the hybrid battery pack). Without the phev, one can use it to run the fan but not the AC.

I also have ventilated seats. Wearing clothes (as I am wont to do) I can't feel the air low UNLESS I have just been exercising and I am sweating. In that instance I can feel the air flow and it helps dry off the sweat. The ventilated seats are a bit of a disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #15
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I received some news today from the dealer. The reason I wasn't feeling any air through the middle vents is because apparently I didn't have any middle vents! LoL

The middle vents are completely missing. My SA was pretty stumped as how this could have happened but apparently the prior dealer replaced the wrong part so now the entire ducting system needs to be ordered from Germany.

The ventilated seats are apparently performing as they should, which is pretty lackluster compared to other vehicles I've been in.

Below is the inspection video showing the missing vents which was a "first" for the mechanic. I'm glad to know there was an actual problem with the A/C that can be remedied, I just hope they get it back to me timely as I only had 2 days with her since taking delivery.

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Well I received some news today from the dealer. The reason I wasn't feeling any air through the middle vents is because apparently I didn't have any middle vents! LoL

The middle vents are completely missing. My SA was pretty stumped as how this could have happened but apparently the prior dealer replaced the wrong part so now the entire ducting system needs to be ordered from Germany.

The ventilated seats are apparently performing as they should, which is pretty lackluster compared to other vehicles I've been in.

Below is the inspection video showing the missing vents which was a "first" for the mechanic. I'm glad to know there was an actual problem with the A/C that can be remedied, I just hope they get it back to me timely as I only had 2 days with her since taking delivery.

Oh dude. Haha haha. I'm sorry. And here I was thinking we had the same type of problem. Hahahaha
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burniksapwet View Post
Quote:

Oh dude. Haha haha. I'm sorry. And here I was thinking we had the same type of problem. Hahahaha
Quote:
Quote:

Foam removal was a "fix" to poor air conditioner. The prior owner most likely had that done. I have 2017, best fix was software upgrade, still mediocre at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Foam removal was a "fix" to poor air conditioner. The prior owner most likely had that done. I have 2017, best fix was software upgrade, still mediocre at best.
I came to learn the prior owner did attempt to have the "fix" performed but the prior tech didn't follow the instructions in the bulletin. Instead of removing select specific pieces of the foam, they literally yanked the entire ducking system. Good news is BMW is covering it. Bad news is I'll be sweating until the parts get here. Lol
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-31-2020, 12:15 AM   #19
rswitch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Alpine White 328i msport

Hey guys, I think im having the same problem i just got my cpo 2017 540i here in vegas and the passenger side middle vent for the a/c is barely blowing any air even at max. So maybe i should schedule to have the ac checked. Its just so annoying since i just got the car about a week and a half ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 12:17 AM   #20
trialNerror
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswitch View Post
Hey guys, I think im having the same problem i just got my cpo 2017 540i here in vegas and the passenger side middle vent for the a/c is barely blowing any air even at max. So maybe i should schedule to have the ac checked. Its just so annoying since i just got the car about a week and a half ago.
My entire vent system was replaced under the mfr warranty and now the A/C is 10x better. Still not nearly as good as my E46 M3, but at least I'm not sweating in 100 degree heat now.
Appreciate 1
rswitch40.00
      08-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #21
540i_DFW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, BMW 540i xDrive

Check the cabin air filters. Lazy mechanics have been known to install the dual filters in the wrong direction. The air flow arrows on the filters should be pointing toward the rear of the car or pointing toward you. If they are installed in reverse the air flow could be restricted.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:47 PM   #22
rswitch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Alpine White 328i msport

Finally got it resolved, I guess something may have been blocking the duct when I brought it to the dealer to get fixed under warranty. a/c now blows well, I still think my f30 had stronger a/c