BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which modern sports car will offer best return on investment?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
6263
Rep
13,844
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You missed that boat, it was called the Ford GT.
This.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #24
SFCM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1170
Rep
1,733
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-1m-58/

Not sure why this car is not fetching the money its worth, if i could i would grab it for this price...
__________________
I am never able to post pictures on forums, all my pics are on IG @baye30 https://www.instagram.com/baye30/
Current Garage - [2011 E90 M3 ZCP] [2005 E53 X5 3.0 Sport] [1988 E30 325IS 24V]
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #25
XMetal
Colonel
XMetal's Avatar
United_States
537
Rep
2,370
Posts

Drives: Anything
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2008 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
2004 X5  [3.50]
You will take the enjoyment out of owning a sports car if you go at it from an investment point of view. Most people get their enjoyment of owning a sports car by driving them, but if you drive them, their values will plummet. Because it's an investment, you will worry about someone banging into it everytime you take it out - one hit and the value will go to sh!t. Just get a "reasonably" priced sports car of your desire and enjoy it - stop worrying about it's resale value. If you want to invest, find something else to invest in. A car is a terrible investment.

I buy every car knowing that it would be worthless by the time I'm done with it. But then again, I have only owned 4 cars in my entire life and 3 of them are still in the garage (actually 2 are in the garage and one in the driveway).

If you go through cars like underwear, consider renting your dream cars when there's the itch to drive something exotic...much cheaper in the long run and you get to actually enjoy the car worry-free!

Last edited by XMetal; 12-06-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
Rush1224.50
chassis212.50

      12-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4203
Rep
10,866
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You take the enjoyment out of owning a sports car if you go at it from an investment point of view. Most people get their enjoyment of owning a sports car by driving them, but if you drive them, their values will plummet. Because it's an investment, you will worry about someone banging into it everytime you take it out - one hit and the value will go to sh!t. Just get a "reasonably" priced sports car of your desire and enjoy it - stop worrying about it's resale value. If you want to invest, find something else to invest in. A car is a terrible investment.

I buy every car knowing that it would be worthless by the time I'm done with it. But then again, I have only owned 4 cars in my entire life and 3 of them are still in the garage (actually 2 are in the garage and one in the driveway).

If you go through cars like underwear, consider renting your dream cars when there's the itch to drive something exotic...much cheaper in the long run and you get to actually enjoy the car worry-free!
Agreed. Which is why pretty much all my M's are used with some mileage when I bought them. Still have yet to sell one, although I've sold 2 of my non M's before.

I know I won't lose too much money on them value wise, which is a great feeling.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #27
Darth One
drunk poster
Darth One's Avatar
United_States
3358
Rep
2,720
Posts

Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
You will take the enjoyment out of owning a sports car if you go at it from an investment point of view. Most people get their enjoyment of owning a sports car by driving them, but if you drive them, their values will plummet. Because it's an investment, you will worry about someone banging into it everytime you take it out - one hit and the value will go to sh!t. Just get a "reasonably" priced sports car of your desire and enjoy it - stop worrying about it's resale value. If you want to invest, find something else to invest in. A car is a terrible investment.

I buy every car knowing that it would be worthless by the time I'm done with it. But then again, I have only owned 4 cars in my entire life and 3 of them are still in the garage (actually 2 are in the garage and one in the driveway).

If you go through cars like underwear, consider renting your dream cars when there's the itch to drive something exotic...much cheaper in the long run and you get to actually enjoy the car worry-free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
A car as an investment is almost impossible. First of all you have to leave it at low mileage. Else deprecation is too high. Then there is inflation, maintenance, insurance, storage and if you use the car the cost of driving it. Then there is the comparison to a normal decent financial investment. Even a "safe" investment should have a yearly payback of about 2-3%. So you might get a car at 150k and sell it for 200k ten years later but it might not be an investment at all and people who are car enthusiasts tend to forget that and only look at absolute numbers.
These two posts sum up how i feel about any thread that has "cars" and "investment" in the title
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
Savageenterprise
Lieutenant
United_States
637
Rep
550
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Out and about

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Cars 99% of the time are liabilities, not assets. Even the cars you're thinking about, while they are very unique and cool, will likely depreciate. That being said, the depreciation will be very minimal or there is a possibility you enjoy the car for a year a two, 5-10k miles and resell for your same purchase price.

Trust me, I'm all about the R8 v10 manual. I'm literally going to be looking for one this time next year probably but by no means do I think it's going to be an appreciating asset.
__________________
"You can't deposit excuses"

2018 340ix 6MT//BSM//Coral Red int//Alum Dark Carbon//19 in 704M double spoke Orbit Grey OEM wheels//CF side mirror caps//CF trunk lid spoiler//Dinan mid pipe res delete//BMS intake//Active Autowerke A8//Gloss Black M style grills//IND BSM Reflectors
Appreciate 1
baege352.00

      12-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #29
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
2220
Rep
3,790
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
As mentioned before a Z8 could fit the bill. Especially if you get an alpina one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #30
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3395
Rep
8,364
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
As mentioned before a Z8 could fit the bill. Especially if you get an alpina one.
I'd have thought the opposite. Wasn't the Alpina less powerful with an automatic? I know Dinan got in trouble chopping up their aluminum chassis's, but didn't they have issues even stock?

Yep, Alpina was an M62 with a five speed auto. Regular was an S62 with a six speed manual. I know which one I'd pay more for.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog2236.00

      12-06-2019, 11:00 PM   #31
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
2220
Rep
3,790
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'd have thought the opposite. Wasn't the Alpina less powerful with an automatic? I know Dinan got in trouble chopping up their aluminum chassis's, but didn't they have issues even stock?

Yep, Alpina was an M62 with a five speed auto. Regular was an S62 with a six speed manual. I know which one I'd pay more for.
Alpina was limited edition with 550 world wide. Worth more than a 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #32
flgfish
Private First Class
flgfish's Avatar
107
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 2012 E91, 2015 911 C2
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

I bought a 991.1 because I love driving it, and plan on keeping it quite a while. Cars are a terrible investment - TERRIBLE - so buy the one you enjoy driving the most.

996 Turbo may have the best chance at appreciating, since they're pretty damn far down the depreciation curve.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog2236.00
P1et6121.50

      12-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #33
Salty Dog
Lieutenant
Salty Dog's Avatar
2236
Rep
599
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I think if you can buy something you really love and don't lose a ton on it when it's time to move on then you're doing well, if you want to make money there are lots of other places to put it.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 12-07-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2607.50

      12-07-2019, 12:38 AM   #34
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
3395
Rep
8,364
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I'd have thought the opposite. Wasn't the Alpina less powerful with an automatic? I know Dinan got in trouble chopping up their aluminum chassis's, but didn't they have issues even stock?

Yep, Alpina was an M62 with a five speed auto. Regular was an S62 with a six speed manual. I know which one I'd pay more for.
Alpina was limited edition with 550 world wide. Worth more than a 6 speed.
There are fewer non M Coupes than M Coupes. Doesn't make them worth more. I admit that I hated the Alpina though, so bias and all that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:16 AM   #35
autoart
Lieutenant Colonel
191
Rep
1,855
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i e90 M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (8)

What about a first gen Acura NSX.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 05:23 AM   #36
Rmtt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rmtt's Avatar
United_States
2608
Rep
1,771
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I think if you can buy something you really love and don't lose a ton on it when it's time to move on then you're doing well, if you want to make money there are lots of other places rot put it.
Same here. I would never look at a car as an investment unless I had Jay Leno money.

But I have bought cars in the past that I got so much pleaseure from while owning them, kept them 3+ years, and then sold them within a couple grand of what I paid.

So the best I was getting was basically owning and driving the car for almost free.
__________________
2011 128i: M-Sport , 3:73 Diff, 3SI Intake, AA Headers, MILVS, MagnaFlow Catback, AFE Scoops, Turner Silicone Hose, StageFP Tune, APEX ARC8, 1M Mirrors, LCI Blacklines

2008 Z51 C6 LS3 w/ LG SuperPros, Ported Fast 102 Intake, RPM Level 2 Transmission, "Small Cam" Vararam SnakeCharmer CAI - 461whp / 467wtq
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog2236.00

      12-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #37
Salty Dog
Lieutenant
Salty Dog's Avatar
2236
Rep
599
Posts

Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgfish View Post
I bought a 991.1 because I love driving it, and plan on keeping it quite a while. Cars are a terrible investment - TERRIBLE - so buy the one you enjoy driving the most.

996 Turbo may have the best chance at appreciating, since they're pretty damn far down the depreciation curve.
except for the fried egg head lights, I had a 996 about 10 years ago, I could never get over the look of the headlights, and the dash pod always seemed a bit off to me. The reason I bought the 996 was I couldn't afford a 993 at the time. I now have one and I paid about twice as much as I would have if I had bought it instead of the 996. And FTR, I agree cars aren't an investment although I have done ok in that I have usually about broken even on the buy sell end of things. Insurance and maintenance not factored in. My 993 has gone up in value from what I can tell since I bought it.

The other car you might want to consider is a Z4MC, the limited production numbers and the timeless good looks I'd say a safe bet that they'll go up in value, I'd say the same for a 2001 or 2002 Z3MC.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 12-08-2019 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread3395.00

      12-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
baege
Major
352
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Don't even look at an AM. Everything I've seen from long-term owners has them pegged as a POS. I drove a DB9 Volante' - it was a joke. The build quality seemed like a bad kit car at best. Compared to a Gallardo, it was horrible.

Cars are truly bad "investments" unless you got in on the ground floor (like the 1M or the original Ford GT from the 2000's).

That being said, it looks like you're more interested in something that could hold onto its value and retain the most value - and a bonus would be an increase in value long-term.
R8 with a manual - the later cars with the V10 and a manual would be stellar for sure.
Gallardo with a manual - not as bad as you'd think for maintenance - again, plenty of sources out there to figure out what years are good.
Viper can be a fun car, however, I'm not sure they'll go up in value. I think it'll level off at best. They just didn't sell well to start with so it tells you something right away. Not that many people wanted them.
964 or 993 - have been holding steady with prices, but they're pretty high. Not sure if they're moving or not at those elevated prices
997 - I think you missed the boat. The prices have gone up quite a bit and are holding pretty high (a nice car is around $60K!)
997 GT3 I would think is the best of the bunch. You can get them for under $100K and it will last. It has a manual transmission to boot.
yes I think my post was not the most aptly titled, I realize the likelihood of actually making some kinda of return on my money when you factor in the costs of ownership is very low indeed

I am really looking for an NA manual car in the 150k to 200k range that will best hold its value and maybe even appreciate so that the costs of ownership are minimal

some good suggestions so far

but I think the r8 v10 manual is still leading the pack
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #39
chassis
First Lieutenant
chassis's Avatar
United_States
213
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You want to own the R8 V10? And you want it to not lose value, possibly it will appreciate, and you want it to not have high maintenance costs. And you want to drive it with some regularity. Did I get that right?

I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Buy the R8 and enjoy it. And pay the money for maintenance, and sell it when you have had enough fun.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog2236.00

      12-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #40
JamesNoBrakes
Lieutenant Colonel
967
Rep
1,886
Posts

Drives: 428i xdrive GC
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Whichever one you lock in a barn for 25 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #41
10"
Major
10"'s Avatar
2257
Rep
1,428
Posts

Drives: orange BMW 1M.
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Cars aren't financial investments.
this.

i'm so glad i don't live a life where this kind of mindset controls me; would never want to decide things like this based on 'investment' criteria.

buy what you love and drive the shit out of it. Screw investing in cars.
__________________
don't read this. too late...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #42
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
6122
Rep
9,202
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

My brother has an R8 GT. Beautiful car and has been very, very trouble-free. Just be ready to get attention wherever you go.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #43
baege
Major
352
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
this.

i'm so glad i don't live a life where this kind of mindset controls me; would never want to decide things like this based on 'investment' criteria.

buy what you love and drive the shit out of it. Screw investing in cars.
it sounds cool to say money ain't a thing when it comes to cars but of course it is

the question I am facing is if I am going to do what I've really wanted to do and drop some serious coin on a cool car that is normally aspirated and has a manual transmission, which car will deliver the most in smiles per mile and offer the least hurt on the pocketbook in terms of depreciation and repairs/maintenance.

I definitely didn't title the thread properly for what I was looking for input on (I've edited it now)

Last edited by baege; 12-08-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #44
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
spazzyfry123's Avatar
Canada
1515
Rep
1,545
Posts

Drives: JTR
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
As said, cars aren't an "investment" until you get into the next level money stuff.

For me, the "investment" is which cool car can I get into and have a good time for as close to free as possible. When I go to sell a vehicle, a good investment is seen when I realize I got to drive a vehicle for X time for Y cost and came out thinking, "yeah, I definitely had at least Y worth of fun."

I think of my E90 M3 (of which I never intended to get rid of) that was totaled by someone else. The insurance check was about $3k less than I bought it for two years and ~20k miles prior. Getting to own and drive that car with the experiences I had and the people I met was worth a lot more than $3k for me. Good investment.

Of course, insert insurance, gas, maintenance, blah blah disclaimer. It's a necessity regardless if I drove an appliance.

Last edited by spazzyfry123; 12-08-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 2
Rmtt2607.50
baege352.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST