BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW Drive Recorder

08-20-2023, 08:31 AM   #1
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
BMW Drive Recorder

Does anybody use the BMW Drive Recorder here? Does it also work like a black box when the car is parked or does it only activate when the car is started?

Also, I think you can set it to automatically record when it expects an accident? Wondering how this is triggered, perhaps hard braking or so? If not, if you are not at fault (blindsided) guess it wouldn't record?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
SonD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 545e (Finally :-) )

Not used it yet per se, but I do have it.
My understanding is that it records as moving / car in drive ready state.
It holds a mere 20 seconds before being over written.
It can be saved via pushing the camera button (I have read somewhere)
In the event of an accident / amount of 'G' it auto saves.
There is an independant recording black box within the car that records iformation on a lot of stuff (speed/throttle position/brakes/g/time/ seat belt activation, etc) in the event of a severe accident for use by BMW. Presumably the police can ask for this data.
It does not offer parking protection.

Having come from a car with a (good) dash cam, I did not go for another.
As my car is in for repair, I have decided to go with the new 'car eye 3' front and rear.
I personally have no need for the 'Pro' version, and the actual cameras are identical. I think the Pro version also comes with internal radar?
This gives me way more control over what I need, and also offers parking protection.
Made for BMW by the folks who made the camera in my previous car, so I'm happy.
I also think that coming with a complete, correct, harness, it should lead to fewer, if any, niggles with battery etc when parked for any length of time.
I understand they shut down recording after two days, but detection stays active (radar / IR proximity)
Appreciate 1
BMW012998.50
      08-21-2023, 06:02 AM   #3
rG-tom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY2021 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
Does anybody use the BMW Drive Recorder here? Does it also work like a black box when the car is parked or does it only activate when the car is started?

Also, I think you can set it to automatically record when it expects an accident? Wondering how this is triggered, perhaps hard braking or so? If not, if you are not at fault (blindsided) guess it wouldn't record?
it does not record whilst parked.

It is always recording whilst driving, and it will save the last ~X seconds before an accident in the event of an accident, or if you long press the "panoramic camera" button it'll save the clip anyway.

I had a near miss last night and it saved the 20 seconds before i pressed the button.

full dash cams definitely offer more functionality but for me this is more than enough without the mess of having proper dashcams, plus the side views etc are invaluable.
Previous: 2002 E46 330i M-Sport (m54b30 LCI), 2007 E92 335D M-Sport Coupe (m57), 2003 z4 3.0i (m54b30), 2010 E92 325D M-Sport Coupe (n57 LCI), 2019 F36 430i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe, 2018 F36 440i M-Sport Pro Gran Coupe MPPSK
Current: MY2021 M550i, Aventurin Red, Ivory Nappa, Comfort Pack, Tech+
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
nrh1703
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

You can set how many seconds are retained before and/or after an accident (detrmined automatically or by the camera button as described above). At least that's the case on my '23 M550i.
Appreciate 0