BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding How to determine if I have BMW Drive recorder

04-29-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
BMWDuuude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019

How to determine if I have BMW Drive recorder

Hello,

(I'm totally new hear. First post)

I searched thru the postings and couldn't find my question already answered, but if I missed it you're welcome to provide a link.

I just recently purchased a CPO 2019 BMW 530e and I'm learning it's potential features.

One thing I'm particularly interested in is BMW Drive Recorder. I've attempted to see if I have this (I have iDrive7, one of the requirements), but it's unclear if I have this option. From searches, a 2019 530e does have the POTENTIAL to have this feature.

How do I figure out if I have (or can pay for via subscription) this as an option on my car????

(note that from my research, several people have pointed out the video quality of the back camera may not be good enough to capture license plates. So I may get an aftermarket dashcam anyways but I'd like to know my options and capabilities with this car)

Thanks in advanced for any advice. And I'm happy to finally be a BMW owner!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 11:52 PM   #2
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

The Drive Recorder was added as part of the LCI package, aka "Full iDrive 7," beginning with Model Year 2021. I don't believe that it was available prior to then, nor can it be retrofitted to Model Years 2020 and earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
BMWDuuude
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019

Re: How to determine if I have BMW Drive recorder

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I'd read that Drive recorder support started with 2019 models manufactured in July 2019 onwards. But I could have misinterpreted.

I'll move forward with an aftermarket solution anyways, since the video quality is better and they have more features.

I am curious about people's experience with Drive Recorder, since my family is in the market to replace my wife's 2015 X5 with a 2020+ model. Is it good enough to be worth purchasing? (I *think* you have to purchase Parking Assist Professional to even get DR, but I welcome any info people can provide.)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0