BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2020 Toyota Supra

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #1365
F30ZHP
Major
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
789
Rep
1,213
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

I find it funny that the Supra did not even make the cut for R&T's PCOTY (reviewers said it had no feel steering and too much BMW DNA that it's not a Toyota) but yet it made Car & Drivers 10 Best.
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3852.00

      12-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #1366
NickyC
Major General
NickyC's Avatar
5523
Rep
5,824
Posts

Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Now in Miami! :D

iTrader: (17)

STILL yet to see one of these things on the road.

The folks on YT modding them are making them look even worse than they do stock, I thought that would be a difficult task.

The only guy who got it right was that render from pages back that took big time cues from the prototype. That thing is gorgeous and should have been the Supra.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #1367
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
6,154
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 08:32 PM   #1368
zx10guy
Colonel
2230
Rep
2,343
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
You can get it in a manual. It just requires you to send the car to a third party tuner (EAG) to have them do the manual trans conversion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.

Last edited by zx10guy; 12-25-2019 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #1369
fastboatster
First Lieutenant
85
Rep
357
Posts

Drives: 2009 bmw 328i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #1370
Top speed
New Member
9
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: AMG gts. McLaren.Porsche
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Nurburgring times are in for the new Supra. Basically as quick as the M2 competition at the ring.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #1371
Moflow
First Lieutenant
Moflow's Avatar
United_States
469
Rep
313
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
Literally why I own an m2c. I wanted a new Supra for almost as long as I can remember. Never been much of a bmw guy, but when they announced no manual, the Supra sadly dropped off my list.

But it did one thing for me: made me realize I could happily own a bmw.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #1372
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
6,154
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Literally why I own an m2c. I wanted a new Supra for almost as long as I can remember. Never been much of a bmw guy, but when they announced no manual, the Supra sadly dropped off my list.

But it did one thing for me: made me realize I could happily own a bmw.
lol the new supra is essentially a BMW anyway

Im hoping that as this supra generation progresses they eventually release a 6mt version.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #1373
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
3852
Rep
3,261
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

My friend's lease on his C63 coupe is up so he went to test drive a Supra. The dealer wouldn't allow it LOL.

What type of car do they think they're selling? At the end of the day it's a $50,000 coupe with a Toyota badge that isn't selling.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #1374
gatorfast
Major General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
6,154
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
My friend's lease on his C63 coupe is up so he went to test drive a Supra. The dealer wouldn't allow it LOL.

What type of car do they think they're selling? At the end of the day it's a $50,000 coupe with a Toyota badge that isn't selling.
Thats crazy. A quick search on cars.com shows 116 Supras for sale within 500mi of my zip code. Maybe if dealers were more liberal with their test drive policies they could actually move some of these.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto3852.00

      12-26-2019, 04:16 PM   #1375
IllSic_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
IllSic_Design's Avatar
United_States
844
Rep
1,562
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (1)

I haven't heard of ANY dealers that are allowing test drives. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, as said it is a 50k Toyota, not a 911 or even a M8.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto3852.00
eluded1905.00

      12-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #1376
Prissy
Brigadier General
Prissy's Avatar
Taiwan
570
Rep
4,646
Posts

Drives: M340i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [2.75]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [4.50]
2010 BMW E92  [5.00]
So 2020 M340i vs 2020 Supra who will win? Supra is lighter...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #1377
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2182
Rep
1,694
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.
I have only seen one at the grocery store, and it was driven by an older lady who let her shopping cart hit the car, and drove it 5 under the limit on the highway
__________________
Current Vehicles: 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS53 - 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles: 1995 325i 5MT - 2004 330i 6MT - 2011 335xi - 2017 540i - 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:42 PM   #1378
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2182
Rep
1,694
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I find it funny that the Supra did not even make the cut for R&T's PCOTY (reviewers said it had no feel steering and too much BMW DNA that it's not a Toyota) but yet it made Car & Drivers 10 Best.
C/D's 10 Best hasn't been making sense for years. This year is even worse, especially with putting the SUV's and Trucks with the Cars. Sometimes I think their bias is a little too obvious, especially with the Honda Accord.

The GT350 is an amazing car, and has beat out the M2, Supra and Cayman in a comparison, as well as the Supra in a separate comparison. Yet the 10 Best are revealed and the Cayman and Supra both of which lost, receive a spot, and the GT350, a car that has received universal acclaim - and it deserves it - from C/D and others, is no where to be found on the list.

Same thing happened years ago when the Mazda 6 beat out the Accord and Camry in a comparison, and was claimed as the best driving and overall mid-size sedan, yet the Accord was still featured alongside the Mazda in the 10 Best.

Sometimes I really agree with what they do and write, but other times, I don't understand their choices.
__________________
Current Vehicles: 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS53 - 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles: 1995 325i 5MT - 2004 330i 6MT - 2011 335xi - 2017 540i - 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP789.00

      12-26-2019, 10:37 PM   #1379
zx10guy
Colonel
2230
Rep
2,343
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Does it deserve it, though? I have a feeling that for the amount of money it takes to get a new Zupra and get the manual conversion done, you can get something faster which comes with a manual stock...
You can say that about any car that gets modded. It's up to the owner whether they feel if the car is worth purchasing and being modded.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:54 PM   #1380
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
SenorRoadRage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: '15 BSM F82
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
STILL yet to see one of these things on the road.

The folks on YT modding them are making them look even worse than they do stock, I thought that would be a difficult task.

The only guy who got it right was that render from pages back that took big time cues from the prototype. That thing is gorgeous and should have been the Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Same here, have not seen one on the road yet.

I do like the pics/vids i have seen of that yellow color. If they offered a manual trans it would be so much more compelling.

Lucky enough to see 4x here in Austin. 2x at the F1 race this year, 1x driving and 1x at Cars and Coffee. The choice of colors and rims really makes a difference on how attractive the car is. The silver/black or white/black combos I saw were the best. The dark blue car with black and chrome rims wasn't the best.

Bummed about no manual, but didn't realllllly want a Supra to begin with. Also sad it doesn't compete with the GT-R like it used to.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #1381
F30ZHP
Major
F30ZHP's Avatar
United_States
789
Rep
1,213
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 340i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Claremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Why do some people call it a Zupra?
__________________

2018 Melbourne Red 340i ZHP
Previous BMW's:
2012 Le Mans Blue 335i Coupe / 1990 Alpine White M3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #1382
hybris
Lieutenant
hybris's Avatar
Norway
150
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because they apparently don't know how to spell it.
__________________
Thorbjorn
16 BMW F30 330e M-sport
Bootmod3 Stage2 / BMS Intake / RM Motors high flow catted downpipe & custom exhaust / BBS CH 19" / H&R Sport springs
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #1383
joshuastein55
Lieutenant Colonel
joshuastein55's Avatar
United_States
2182
Rep
1,694
Posts

Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
I can't tell if your joking or not
__________________
Current Vehicles: 2019 BMW M2 Competition 6MT - 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS53 - 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Retired Vehicles: 1995 325i 5MT - 2004 330i 6MT - 2011 335xi - 2017 540i - 2017 Boxster S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #1384
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
SenorRoadRage's Avatar
United_States
163
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: '15 BSM F82
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because it's a BMW Z4 with Toyota badging and styling.
Appreciate 1
F30ZHP789.00

      12-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #1385
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
glennQNYC's Avatar
United_States
6277
Rep
5,305
Posts

Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Why do some people call it a Zupra?
Because it's a BMW Z4 with Toyota badging and styling.
Zupra was already taken for vanity plates in NY, but Zupr4 was available last I checked.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #1386
apex_prd8r
New Member
11
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6M M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SE WI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
C/D's 10 Best hasn't been making sense for years. This year is even worse, especially with putting the SUV's and Trucks with the Cars. Sometimes I think their bias is a little too obvious, especially with the Honda Accord.

The GT350 is an amazing car, and has beat out the M2, Supra and Cayman in a comparison, as well as the Supra in a separate comparison. Yet the 10 Best are revealed and the Cayman and Supra both of which lost, receive a spot, and the GT350, a car that has received universal acclaim - and it deserves it - from C/D and others, is no where to be found on the list.

Same thing happened years ago when the Mazda 6 beat out the Accord and Camry in a comparison, and was claimed as the best driving and overall mid-size sedan, yet the Accord was still featured alongside the Mazda in the 10 Best.

Sometimes I really agree with what they do and write, but other times, I don't understand their choices.
C&D 10-Best is about the 10-best "all-arounders" in their respective classes. In the case of the Accord vs. Mazda6 and Camry... If you read those individual comparison tests, they are usually seeking out the best (insert specific task here) in the category. It could be the "sporties mid-sizer for someone who can't afford a seperate sports car in the garage" (i.e. Mazda6 in that case), or the "best easy to live with for someone who just wants comfort and low maintenance" (Camry)... but for 10-best, C&D is looking for the best all, around package.

Same thing for the 350. It is an outstanding track car, but for a liveable, daily driver sports car; the Cayman and Supra are going to eat it alive.

Just my two-cents.
Mike
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1719.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST