BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding PSA: Fitting aftermarket windscreens on G30 with HUD

07-20-2023, 07:14 AM   #1
mrjlaunch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e (G30)

PSA: Fitting aftermarket windscreens on G30 with HUD

After my recent pain of having the windscreen replaced on my UK (Right-Hand-Drive) G30 because the Head Up Display was not appearing correctly, I thought I'd share my experience.

Reading other posts I was lead to believe there was a marking to identify if a windscreen was HUD compatible, some users incorrectly advised to look for the Inmetro logo however this is not at all related to HUD compatibility.

Some compatible windscreens may have "HUD" stamped on them, but some do not despite being designed for use with HUD. That said it makes it very difficult to know if a windscreen is or isn't compatible with HUD. One of the windscreens the shop supplied to me even had a workshop sticker saying it was for use with HUD even though it wasn't compatible in my case.

To check if the replacement screen is compatible after fitment, sit in the drivers seat and look at the HUD image projected on the windscreen. If you raise or lower your head position the display should not stretch or compress and should always maintain the same aspect ratio. If you move your head approximately 5cm to the left and right the display should remain consistently bright and should not dim. You should also not see any double vision and the display should be sharp. Also note that there is no settings on our vehicles that will make a non-HUD windscreen look better, you can only adjust the position, rotation and brightness of the display. Correct display is only achieved through fitting the correct windscreen.

Here is a list of RHD G30 windscreen compatibility in my personal experience...

Brand: Fuyao / Model: M848 / Result: Excellent compatibility with HUD. Has a clean look, it does not say "Connected Drive" under the KAFAS camera

Brand: Pilkington / Model: M1248-2 / Result: Tried twice, both had poor compatiblity with HUD

Brand: Carlex / Model: M45W50L1 / Result: Excellent compatibility with HUD. Also has "Connected Drive" written under the KAFAS camera, like the OEM screens
Appreciate 2
cna90176.00
akataka23.00
      07-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Did you do this outside of the bmw dealer network?
Personally I would do it through a bmw dealer even if it was a bit more expensive so it should in theory end up with the “right” windscreen
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337337.50
      07-20-2023, 10:15 PM   #3
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

I made sure to get official BMW glass for my windshield replacement. It's still strange to have perfect glass- I think BMW makes the 'softest' windshields out there where pollen would probably pit it.

I'm curious if there's any calibration that needs to be done in the HUD projector as well. They do the cameras but not every windshield is the same and I think those imperfections impact the HUD slightly.

One thing that increased the sharpness of the HUD for me was window tint. Even at 70/80% it gave it a 'screen' to project on.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:22 AM   #4
mrjlaunch
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Did you do this outside of the bmw dealer network?
Personally I would do it through a bmw dealer even if it was a bit more expensive so it should in theory end up with the “right” windscreen
No, my insurance company arranged replacement through a third party. To be fair the installer said he'd have requested head-office to send me to BMW if the final windscreen hadn't had worked.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 06:29 AM   #5
mrjlaunch
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonronEG View Post
I'm curious if there's any calibration that needs to be done in the HUD projector as well. They do the cameras but not every windshield is the same and I think those imperfections impact the HUD slightly.
Like I said there's no calibration of the HUD in the car (other than position, rotation and brightness) and nothing in ISTA for BMW techs to adjust.

The HUD is just a bright LCD screen, so like I said correct display is only achieved through fitting the correct windscreen. If there is a problem with the HUD itself it will be physical damage/failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
tuzii
aussie member
Rep
Drives: G30 530D

i just had a genuine screen fitted, its a carlex one, but has the BMW logo on it
Appreciate 0