BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions DS mode in Sport Plus?

11-15-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

DS mode in Sport Plus?

Is there a different in having the car in Sport Plus and in D, compared to having the car in Sport Plus and in D/S? In Sport Plus/D , I’ve often felt 1st gear acceleration was sometimes delayed, and the transmission did not do a fierce kick-down from 2nd to 1st – today I put the car in Sport Plus and in D/S, and it felt as if the car was a lot more responsive and aggressive in 1st gear, including a kick-down. I was under the impression that D/S just puts the transmission in aggressive setting, but Sport Plus overrides everything in general and puts all settings, including transmission in the most aggressive mode.

A bit confused here – either way, having it in D/S while in Sport Plus is nice because sometimes I wasn’t sure if the car was in 1st or 2nd gear at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

This is consistent with my experience as well. Unlike my M4, where pushing one M button could change everything, I believe to get the most out of the M550 you must push the sport button and move the shift lever to the left. BTW, I usually move the lever to the left when I am in heavy traffic, even in comfort mode. I find that causes the ZF8 to react much the same as the DCT in Drivelogic 2 mode, which I used on my M4 all the time, keeping the car in gear for decelerating, and allowing for smoother handling in traffic with less braking.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

There is a difference, yes.

In all modes, you get more aggressive gearbox mapping with the shifter in D/S, even in Sport Plus.

I notice it immediately; There is clearly a 'top' level of gearbox performance that is only unlocked when the shifter is in D/S, regardless of which driving mode you are in (comfort/sport/sport plus).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
There is a difference, yes.

In all modes, you get more aggressive gearbox mapping with the shifter in D/S, even in Sport Plus.

I notice it immediately; There is clearly a 'top' level of gearbox performance that is only unlocked when the shifter is in D/S, regardless of which driving mode you are in (comfort/sport/sport plus).
yes. after a few weeks of trying D/S, definitely noticeable. Also love how I can now accelerate in 1st gear. In normal mode it was really hard to get it to stay in first. the car pulls like a train, especially with the dinan tune.
Appreciate 0