BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Night Vision Story

12-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Night Vision Story

A feature I've wanted for some time and finally got was night vision on my M550i. Primarily because I often visit family in WV. It's not you may see a deer at night, it's how many...

So in a year and 1/2 I've gotten a few animal and pedestrian alerts, even without the display on. Often not even seeing the animal myself.

But on my Thanksgiving trip to WV, one evening going down the gravel road towards my sister, with the display on, it picked up a deer in the road. I stopped about 50ft from it and noticed I could clearly see in the display a family of deer walking out of the woods to cross the road.

I so wish I had thought to snap a photo of the display as it did take 10-15 secs for them to all cross. Pretty cool tech because with low beams, I saw the first deer on the display before seeing it in the road. And certainly couldn't see the rest of them.

In my opinion the system has been useful but you have to decide if it's worth the cost for the rare additional safety it provides.
Appreciate 4
      12-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
A feature I've wanted for some time and finally got was night vision on my M550i. Primarily because I often visit family in WV. It's not you may see a deer at night, it's how many...

So in a year and 1/2 I've gotten a few animal and pedestrian alerts, even without the display on. Often not even seeing the animal myself.

But on my Thanksgiving trip to WV, one evening going down the gravel road towards my sister, with the display on, it picked up a deer in the road. I stopped about 50ft from it and noticed I could clearly see in the display a family of deer walking out of the woods to cross the road.

I so wish I had thought to snap a photo of the display as it did take 10-15 secs for them to all cross. Pretty cool tech because with low beams, I saw the first deer on the display before seeing it in the road. And certainly couldn't see the rest of them.

In my opinion the system has been useful but you have to decide if it's worth the cost for the rare additional safety it provides.
Very cool. I would love to have had that option, but I needed my car in a hurry. That feature is highly overpriced in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Very cool. I would love to have had that option, but I needed my car in a hurry. That feature is highly overpriced in my opinion.
It is overpriced BUT if it saves you from hitting a dear it is worth it. And...besides...it is very cool. And...yes...I do have it.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
It is overpriced BUT if it saves you from hitting a dear it is worth it. And...besides...it is very cool. And...yes...I do have it.
If memory serves me right it's a $2,300 option. Honestly speaking, I would have wanted it if I ordered my vehicle because I'm one of those people that likes to have all of the options. I also wish I had remote control parking which I would never use.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
If memory serves me right it's a $2,300 option. Honestly speaking, I would have wanted it if I ordered my vehicle because I'm one of those people that likes to have all of the options. I also wish I had remote control parking which I would never use.
I don't have remote control parking but I do have the parking assistant (which is supposed to park the car while you are in it). I have problems letting go and I just can't get myself to trust the car to park itself. So...after 2 years of ownership, I have yet to use the feature.
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten641.50
      12-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have remote control parking but I do have the parking assistant (which is supposed to park the car while you are in it). I have problems letting go and I just can't get myself to trust the car to park itself. So...after 2 years of ownership, I have yet to use the feature.
I have that feature. I've only used it twice to play with it. It takes entirely too long.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
I also wish I had remote control parking which I would never use.
If you feel so inclined to spend around $550-600, and feel comfortable installing an antenna behind the rear bumper, plugging in a couple wires and doing some coding, you could have it

I also have the Parking Assistant Plus on my G01, and I agree, it's a very lengthy process vs doing it myself. It has also come a bit too close for comfort to other cars a few times, so I rarely use it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #8
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
itself park decently actually, and pretty quick for that matter, but unless there is no one waiting and I just want to play around I have never use it.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #9
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
If I go to upstate more often I would definitely get nightvision as well, too many friends hitting deer (and even baby bear for that matter) up there...
Appreciate 2