BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Display and instrument cluster brightness

12-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #23
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Did this today and the screen and instrument panel become bright instantly. Happens only if you roll down the driver side window, and happens if you only roll it down a little way. It helps some, but not much, to open the sunroof cover. Indeed, to my disappointment, it appears to be from the window tint. I am not coded at all but may reconsider due to this issue. It is really disappointing that you cannot modulate the function of this sensor in some reasonable way. BTW, it does no good to cover the sensor, in my experience anyway.
I have my windows tinted also because I got skin cancer on my left arm from the sun coming through the left window. I read this quote and tried and sure enough, as soon as I lower my driver's side window 1/2 the way down the display brightens. It was a pretty cloudy day when I did this test also. So I guess I will try to find a tint that just stops the UV rays.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Have you tried coding the HU_NBT2 module - 3005 display pip info - Dim_Variant? Set it to "Old" .

This should address the iDrive screen auto dimming issue. Doesn't address the Digital dash as that is another setting in the KOMBI module.
Claykin is there a way to program the auto start/stop button to remember the last setting? I hate that function and always turn it off. I think it is a waste. Of course, it always goes to the on position upon startup. Sorry to high jack this thread but I am new and don't know all the forum tricks yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #25
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by b74heavy View Post
Claykin is there a way to program the auto start/stop button to remember the last setting?
I'm not Claykin...but yes...at least on the E & F chassis BMWs...the ASS feature can be coded to be OFF by default...or remember last setting. I did it with Bimmercode.

Depending on your model/model year and communication bus...it is usually under the control of the FEM (front electronics module), the FRM (the footwell module), or the BDC (body domain controller). In my f06, it was under the control of the FEM...you can see the screen shot from the Bimmercode app below that shows what can be selected. I made selections to make sure that if ASS was on...it's on because I definitely want it on. So I selected OFF by default (active) as well as ASS function memory (active)...and if ECO PRO is ON...then ASS is OFF (not active):
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-09-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Yes it can be done on the G chassis cars as well, under the DME, there is the option to retain memory for the auto start stop, but not to code it off by default like on the F chassis models
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #27
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
I have my windows tinted also because I got skin cancer on my left arm from the sun coming through the left window. I read this quote and tried and sure enough, as soon as I lower my driver's side window 1/2 the way down the display brightens. It was a pretty cloudy day when I did this test also. So I guess I will try to find a tint that just stops the UV rays.
This is what happens with both of our cars (X3 and 5 Series). Lowering the drivers side window just enough to let more light in brightens the display on dark/overcast days.

The windows in each car are tinted, but not too dark, 50% on the X3 and 40% on the 5.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #28
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Yes it can be done on the G chassis cars as well, under the DME, there is the option to retain memory for the auto start stop, but not to code it off by default like on the F chassis models
On the G series, the only option is to remember the last setting which works out perfectly for me! That's the way it used to be before they made that change in 2018.
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      12-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #29
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
On the G series, the only option is to remember the last setting which works out perfectly for me! That's the way it used to be before they made that change in 2018.
Yes, I had it set that way on mine until I was in for the software update, as I had it permanently off on my F30 since it was so horrible back then when it was first being implemented. During the time my car was in for for the update, I didn't turn it off on the loaner, and was surprised how much smoother it was on the newer cars. Since then, I haven't re-coded the memory on mine, I honestly don't mind it now except for when I'm waiting to make a sharp turn and going to need to go right away, or the fact that the A/C blower isn't quite as strong while idling.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #30
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Have you tried coding the HU_NBT2 module - 3005 display pip info - Dim_Variant? Set it to "Old" .

This should address the iDrive screen auto dimming issue. Doesn't address the Digital dash as that is another setting in the KOMBI module.
Claykin is there a way to program the auto start/stop button to remember the last setting? I hate that function and always turn it off. I think it is a waste. Of course, it always goes to the on position upon startup. Sorry to high jack this thread but I am new and don't know all the forum tricks yet.
Looks like you got your answer from a few of the other awesome members here.
      12-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #31
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for the info that info on the auto start/stop. I need to know what is bimmercode does it plug into the obd port? Is it an app? Thanks in advance. By the way, I have a US 2019 BMW 540i sedan. I would just want it to remember the last auto start/stop selection also. So if that is possible I guess I could reprogram
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #32
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
I'm not Claykin...but yes...at least on the E & F chassis BMWs...the ASS feature can be coded to be OFF by default...or remember last setting. I did it with Bimmercode.

Depending on your model/model year and communication bus...it is usually under the control of the FEM (front electronics module), the FRM (the footwell module), or the BDC (body domain controller). In my f06, it was under the control of the FEM...you can see the screen shot from the Bimmercode app below that shows what can be selected. I made selections to make sure that if ASS was on...it's on because I definitely want it on. So I selected OFF by default (active) as well as ASS function memory (active)...and if ECO PRO is ON...then ASS is OFF (not active):
Thanks for your excellent post. Now I must get a bimmer code box.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #33
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you all for the info that info on the auto start/stop. I need to know what is bimmercode does it plug into the obd port? Is it an app? Thanks in advance. By the way, I have a US 2019 BMW 540i sedan. I would just want it to remember the last auto start/stop selection also. So if that is possible I guess I could reprogram
BimmerCode is an iOS app that makes coding changes to variables that are already in the car using an ODB adapter. I have changed so many things on my vehicle. It's worth every penny.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bimmer...i/id1130787459
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #34
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Interestingly, I had a 2019 X1 as a loaner, while they were trying to fix my display dimness issue (remember how this thread started?), and it remembered the last position of the ASS. Why does my 2019 M550 not do that? Only the powers that be in BMW know that answer. Anyway, to get back to the original idea of this thread, I have been experimenting: there are two sensors, one on each side of the instrument cluster. Any light source near them immediatly brightens the instuments and the display. I even noticed today that the reflection off my hands, when I held them near the stalks for turn signals and wipers immediately brightened the display, as the sensors are looking right at these stalks. Hmmmm. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #35
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Interestingly, I had a 2019 X1 as a loaner, while they were trying to fix my display dimness issue (remember how this thread started?), and it remembered the last position of the ASS. Why does my 2019 M550 not do that? Only the powers that be in BMW know that answer. Anyway, to get back to the original idea of this thread, I have been experimenting: there are two sensors, one on each side of the instrument cluster. Any light source near them immediatly brightens the instuments and the display. I even noticed today that the reflection off my hands, when I held them near the stalks for turn signals and wipers immediately brightened the display, as the sensors are looking right at these stalks. Hmmmm. Will keep you posted.
We had an X1 prior to our X3 and that is where I first noticed the dimming issue.
The X1 had 50% tint on the front side windows same % as the X3 which dims too.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #36
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
We had an X1 prior to our X3 and that is where I first noticed the dimming issue.
Yea, have considered talking to my tint guy to see if he can remove and reapply lighter tint to the front windows. Not sure I want to get that radical yet, still experimenting with another possible aid. Will let you know. This is definitely an annoying and IMHO riduculous situation, where there should be some iDrive way to modulate the function of these sensors for tinting. I'll bet, if we could require the engineers who designed it to live in South Texas all next summer........
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #37
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Yea, have considered talking to my tint guy to see if he can remove and reapply lighter tint to the front windows. Not sure I want to get that radical yet, still experimenting with another possible aid. Will let you know. This is definitely an annoying and IMHO riduculous situation, where there should be some iDrive way to modulate the function of these sensors for tinting. I'll bet, if we could require the engineers who designed it to live in South Texas all next summer........
I'm in Texas too. It's the sensor pointed towards the driver. It's probably due to the side windows. I have the same issue. You'll get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #38
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
BimmerCode is an iOS app that makes coding changes to variables that are already in the car using an ODB adapter. I have changed so many things on my vehicle. It's worth every penny.

Bimmercode has an app for Android users, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rcode&hl=en_US

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #39
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:

Bimmercode has an app for Android users, too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e&hl=en_US
I'm aware, but I didn't feel like looking up the URL since I don't use android. 😂
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #40
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Texas too. It's the sensor pointed towards the driver. It's probably due to the side windows. I have the same issue. You'll get used to it.
Yea, probably not. Both sensors are pointed toward the driver. The display is so dim as to be almost unreadable, with the level of tint which is legal in Texas, both intstrument cluster and display. This borders on an unsafe situation. Thanks goodness the HUD is not affected. Will never get used to it. Working on workareounds. Last resort, change the tint to 90%. We'll see how it goes. Very disappointing on such a wonderful car. BMW should be ashamed of this. Mercedes, Audi, Porsche.....no such problems, and I tinted my Mercedes and Porsche exactly the same as this car. In fact, my 2016 M4 has the same tint from the same installer without this probem. This is classic design stupidity.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #41
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yea, probably not. Both sensors are pointed toward the driver. The display is so dim as to be almost unreadable, with the level of tint which is legal in Texas, both intstrument cluster and display. This borders on an unsafe situation. Thanks goodness the HUD is not affected. Will never get used to it. Working on workareounds. Last resort, change the tint to 90%. We'll see how it goes. Very disappointing on such a wonderful car. BMW should be ashamed of this. Mercedes, Audi, Porsche.....no such problems, and I tinted my Mercedes and Porsche exactly the same as this car. In fact, my 2016 M4 has the same tint from the same installer without this probem. This is classic design stupidity.
I have 3M Crystalline window tint. The sides and back windows have 20% (not legal in Texas), the windshield has 70%, and the sunroof has 40%.

If it's overcast or if I'm driving through downtown Houston it does get very dim between buildings. I've gotten quite used to it at this point. The tint looks too good so it's worth the sacrifice. I knew this was going to be a risk going in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-13-2019, 06:31 PM   #42
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Beautiful car, almost identical to mine, except I have lighter tint and 668M wheels. I had no idea going in that this tint would cause a problem, since I had none on my 2016 M4, with identical tint from the same installer. Had I known, I definitely would have gotten less tint on the front windows. That will be my fall-back position, as I absolutely love the car otherwise. I just can't get over the fact that this is absolute horse hockey! May impact my next purchase.....too bad for BMW. There are lots of good performance sedans out there. I fully realize that this is a first world problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #43
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Does the M5 have this same ridiculous system? If not, that might be.......

Don't tell my wife about this conversation!
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #44
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Beautiful car, almost identical to mine, except I have lighter tint and 668M wheels. I had no idea going in that this tint would cause a problem, since I had none on my 2016 M4, with identical tint from the same installer. Had I known, I definitely would have gotten less tint on the front windows. That will be my fall-back position, as I absolutely love the car otherwise. I just can't get over the fact that this is absolute horse hockey! May impact my next purchase.....too bad for BMW. There are lots of good performance sedans out there. I fully realize that this is a first world problem.
There's a guy down the street that has the identical vehicle to mine with the same wheels that you have. You don't happen to live by Memorial Park do you? LOL

I really wanted the 668M wheels, but I needed a car in a hurry and I could not find one that had them.
Appreciate 0