BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Display and instrument cluster brightness

12-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Display and instrument cluster brightness

I love my 2019 M550, except for one small thing. When I am driving in bright sunlight, the display (both maps and instruments) are sometimes so dim that I almost cannot see them. It seems worse when the sun is on either side of the vehicle, maybe slightly worse on the right side. It is better if the sun is forward, or rearward to the vehicle. No problem in dim light conditions, or at night. Tried to convey this to my SA yesterday, mostly unsuccessfully. Took my car in for the rear camera recall, and asked them to also address this problem. They could find no problem. They sent me a video of how to adjust the brightness of the displays at night using the thumbscrew, or in iDrive. I knew this, but is does not work in daylight. Anyway, after an overnight software update for the rear camera, the display actually seems to be working better on the way home. Could BMW have covertly fixed this with the aforementioned software update? Who knows. Anyone else have input? Hope it keeps working.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I love my 2019 M550, except for one small thing. When I am driving in bright sunlight, the display (both maps and instruments) are sometimes so dim that I almost cannot see them. It seems worse when the sun is on either side of the vehicle, maybe slightly worse on the right side. It is better if the sun is forward, or rearward to the vehicle. No problem in dim light conditions, or at night. Tried to convey this to my SA yesterday, mostly unsuccessfully. Took my car in for the rear camera recall, and asked them to also address this problem. They could find no problem. They sent me a video of how to adjust the brightness of the displays at night using the thumbscrew, or in iDrive. I knew this, but is does not work in daylight. Anyway, after an overnight software update for the rear camera, the display actually seems to be working better on the way home. Could BMW have covertly fixed this with the aforementioned software update? Who knows. Anyone else have input? Hope it keeps working.
Do you have tinted windows?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Yes, I do. I've heard this explanation before. A little hard to believe, because if I had not tinted the windows, but instead always used the BMW installed window shades on the rear windows, I believe sunlight suppression would be about the same (since my fronts are barely tinted). Hard to believe BMW would not have compensated for a BMW installed product. But maybe so. Anyway, like I said, it seemed to be better today after the software update. We'll see in the long run. I'll keep you posted. And, if it is the tinted windows, I would still tint them again. I live in South Texas, after all. Can't believe there is not a way to modulate the function of whatever sensor is involved in this.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

BTW, I read in an old search that you could put tape over the sensor and make the car think it is in night mode, thus the thumbwheel would work and you could brighten the display. First, does anyone know first hand if this works? Second, if so, where is the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Yes, I do. I've heard this explanation before. A little hard to believe, because if I had not tinted the windows, but instead always used the BMW installed window shades on the rear windows, I believe sunlight suppression would be about the same (since my fronts are barely tinted). Hard to believe BMW would not have compensated for a BMW installed product. But maybe so. Anyway, like I said, it seemed to be better today after the software update. We'll see in the long run. I'll keep you posted. And, if it is the tinted windows, I would still tint them again. I live in South Texas, after all. Can't believe there is not a way to modulate the function of whatever sensor is involved in this.
Its the front windows that seem to cause the problem - everyone with this issue has the front sides tinted. Not seen any complaints from people with rear sides tinted (like myself). I guess BMW do not offer front tints, so they never designed the system for that.

As you say, there are workarounds though.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Have you done a quick test where you rolled your front windows down to see if the illumination changes?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Have you tried coding the HU_NBT2 module - 3005 display pip info - Dim_Variant? Set it to "Old" .

This should address the iDrive screen auto dimming issue. Doesn't address the Digital dash as that is another setting in the KOMBI module.
      12-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Have you done a quick test where you rolled your front windows down to see if the illumination changes?
Did this today and the screen and instrument panel become bright instantly. Happens only if you roll down the driver side window, and happens if you only roll it down a little way. Helps some, but not much, to open the sunroof cover. Indeed, to my disappointment, it appears to be from the window tint. I am not coded at all, but may reconsider due to this issue. It is really disappointing that you cannot modulate the function of this sensor in some reasonable way. BTW, it does no good to cover the sensor, in my experience anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Have you tried coding the HU_NBT2 module - 3005 display pip info - Dim_Variant? Set it to "Old" .

This should address the iDrive screen auto dimming issue. Doesn't address the Digital dash as that is another setting in the KOMBI module.
Thanks for the info. I am not coded at all, and have no capability to do it. May try to find someone who can, as this issue is very disappointing to me. Window tint in South Texas is essential. Don't regret it. This is the only issue I have with this wonderful car. Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I am not coded at all, and have no capability to do it. May try to find someone who can, as this issue is very disappointing to me. Window tint in South Texas is essential. Don't regret it. This is the only issue I have with this wonderful car. Appreciate the help.
Happy to help. Bimmercode is fairly easy to use and will do the job. I prefer old school and use esys /esys Launcher.

100% agree. Given that for a good 4 months of the year most of Germany is dark/overcast, one would think they'd figure this out. A simple software reprogram to permit users to override the brightness control. But no, like Apple, BMW is so sure they know better what we want!
      12-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #11
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

100% agree. Given that for a good 4 months of the year most of Germany is dark/overcast, one would think they'd figure this out. A simple software reprogram to permit users to override the brightness control. But no, like Apple, BMW is so sure they know better what we want!
Overcast days don't make the displays dim, and its pretty dark dim here all day during winter. It seems like front tints is the only cause of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:

Overcast days don't make the displays dim, and its pretty dark dim here all day during winter. It seems like front tints is the only cause of the problem.
I have 20% film all around my vehicle and if I'm driving through some buildings downtown, even during the day, my instrument panel will dim even though there is sunlight outside. Once I get near direct sunlight, it goes back to normal. I got used to it after a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:51 AM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I have 20% film all around my vehicle and if I'm driving through some buildings downtown, even during the day, my instrument panel will dim even though there is sunlight outside. Once I get near direct sunlight, it goes back to normal. I got used to it after a couple of weeks.
Thats what I mean - I have zero front tints, and factory 'privacy' glass on the rears, and mine never dims when it gets overcast When it gets dark here, I sometimes have to turn the brightness down with the wheel as its so bloody bright!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did this today and the screen and instrument panel become bright instantly. Happens only if you roll down the driver side window, and happens if you only roll it down a little way. Helps some, but not much, to open the sunroof cover. Indeed, to my disappointment, it appears to be from the window tint. I am not coded at all, but may reconsider due to this issue. It is really disappointing that you cannot modulate the function of this sensor in some reasonable way. BTW, it does no good to cover the sensor, in my experience anyway.

Quote:

I appreciate posting the outcome of this small experiement. It may help someone in a "more northerly climate" make a decision in regards to front window tinting where the level of darkness is for "looks" versus actual need (due to less harsh sunny conditions).

It also makes me really apprehensive about future BMW ownership where the only choice is an all digital instrument cluster. I know I'm in the minority...but in the old F chassis BMWs that had the choice of the 6WA (part digital) and the 6WB (all digital) instrument cluster...I prefer the 6WA because having some physical features helps in those odd times that sunlight can wash out the cluster's display. Actually having gauge needles and some markings around the gauge can usually still be seen even when glare from the sun is affecting cluster visibility.

6WA (analog/digital) cluster...still visible when sun-washed:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-07-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I appreciate posting the outcome of this small experiement. It may help someone in a "more northerly climate" make a decision in regards to front window tinting where the level of darkness is for "looks" versus actual need (due to less harsh sunny conditions).
In my humble opinion, it's a sin to not tint a BMW! It's worth the risk!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
In my humble opinion, it's a sin to not tint a BMW! It's worth the risk!
It's far for me to stand between a guy/gal and their desire for tint.

Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #17
GL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X7 M50i, 2019 540i

F series 6WA was my favorite cluster. Very classy look.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL View Post
F series 6WA was my favorite cluster. Very classy look.
BMW (and others) are challenged with the assumed demand for hi-tech infotainment/connectivity which seems to include every inch possible they can include as part of these systems. LCP is a perfect example of this. What a disaster IMO.

After driving an ID7 car for 2 days, I feel they took a step back in usability, useful features, ease of driver manipulation, etc. in the jump to ID7. Too many menus, submenus, etc. and I really didn't find much in the HeyBMW that was more helpful than what's already in ID6. Toys yes, helpful /useful, not so much. All these toys add confusion and distraction, hence the need for Driver Assistance systems. Maybe smart marketing by BMW.
      12-08-2019, 03:57 AM   #19
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:

After driving an ID7 car for 2 days, I feel they took a step back in usability, useful features, ease of driver manipulation, etc. in the jump to ID7. Too many menus, submenus, etc. and I really didn't find much in the HeyBMW that was more helpful than what's already in ID6. Toys yes, helpful /useful, not so much. All these toys add confusion and distraction, hence the need for Driver Assistance systems. Maybe smart marketing by BMW.
As they have only partially initiated ID7 in the G30 the functionality is paired back to such an extent that the real improvements in ID7 aren’t available - for example the Intelligent functions and In Car Experiences.
My Oct 19 car had to have a complete software install as ID7 was such a mess - the dealers had to contact Deutschland as the first reinstall didn’t work. They worked on the car for 2 days to sort it. At least Live 3D now works and everything is stable.
I would have preferred that instead of upgrading to ‘ID Lite’ they had upgraded Driver Assistance and Parking Assistance to the same Professional versions in the G20 and other models - same price for the option but vastly improved.
I find it really strange that they have much more advanced technology on lesser cost cars - I thought the G30 was one of their ‘flagship’ models but it appears that in terms of technology they preferred to use the G20 for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:

As they have only partially initiated ID7 in the G30 the functionality is paired back to such an extent that the real improvements in ID7 aren’t available - for example the Intelligent functions and In Car Experiences.
My Oct 19 car had to have a complete software install as ID7 was such a mess - the dealers had to contact Deutschland as the first reinstall didn’t work. They worked on the car for 2 days to sort it. At least Live 3D now works and everything is stable.
I would have preferred that instead of upgrading to ‘ID Lite’ they had upgraded Driver Assistance and Parking Assistance to the same Professional versions in the G20 and other models - same price for the option but vastly improved.
I find it really strange that they have much more advanced technology on lesser cost cars - I thought the G30 was one of their ‘flagship’ models but it appears that in terms of technology they preferred to use the G20 for that.
I drove a G20 for 2 days so I wasn't hamstringed with the G30 lite version. Still, I'm not overly impressed with iDrive 7 and it's real functional advances.

G30 will get the DA Pro upgrade as part of MY21 LCI.
      12-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #21
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It also makes me really apprehensive about future BMW ownership where the only choice is an all digital instrument cluster. I know I'm in the minority...but in the old F chassis BMWs that had the choice of the 6WA (part digital) and the 6WB (all digital) instrument cluster...I prefer the 6WA because having some physical features helps in those odd times that sunlight can wash out the cluster's display. Actually having gauge needles and some markings around the gauge can usually still be seen even when glare from the sun is affecting cluster visibility.
You have no worries there, at least in my driving position, the cluster is always shaded by the shroud and it sits deep enough in it that I've never felt like directly sunlight has been an issue.

I don't know how it is driving an MB with all digital screens in the sun as some models have zero shroud, but I have relatives with them and I've never heard them complain either, so perhaps even with no shroud its just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #22
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
This is the thing that frustrates me so. On overcast days the display stays bright. On bright sunny days is when is goes dim, sometimes so dim I can barely read the display or the cluster. It changes constantly, if I go into shadow, etc. And my front windows are only very lightly tinted. Furthering my frustration, you can roll the driver's side window down one inch, and the display immediately brightens, even though there is no appreciable brightness gain in the cabin. Really stupid design, in my opinion. Only thing I do not love about the car, though, so definitely a first world problem. Anyway, thanks for all the help, everyone. Any coders in San Antonio, PM me!
Appreciate 0