BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Video: Doug DeMuro - Vector W8

12-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #23
M_Chronos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

He's a dude excited about cars who video tapes himself exploring through interesting cars. Though one could certainly expect him to be a bit more technically knowledgeable at this point in his career. Missing that the engine is transverse is certainly omitting a big quirk, same as the Eldorado being front drive. Both could have been one sentence worth of comment but at least acknowledged them. Videos are entertaining, just need to be viewed in context of his knowledge.

Will say I gave a "really?" when he mentioned the reason for the wide side sill is due to the shifter being there. He has dropped into enough mid engine cars at this point for that not to be the first conclusion his mind comes to when seeing it.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I mean, if you sit there for hours on end you might find an error or two, but he generally knows what he's talking about and does a good job. It's entertainment. I found the insights between the 80s Ferraris and Lamborghinis to be very interesting.

I'm not sure if he was really intending the wide sill comment in that way, it is wide, there is a shifter there, it kind of came out that way, but it also didn't sound like the intent of the comment either.
      12-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I really don’t have anything against the guy, but i did enjoy him more as a writer/poster on Jalopnik and Autotrader than as a “reviewer”. Mainly because he doesn’t convey very well how the car is to drive.

Although to be fair, when I’m close to buying a car and he has a video on it, i do watch him go through every inch and fondle every control to see if i learn about something cool about the car that i overlooked. Maybe that’s the whole point of what he does...?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #26
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

He's better than that Hoovie guy who comes across as a spastic idiot.
Doug has better appeal.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #27
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Chronos View Post
He's a dude excited about cars who video tapes himself exploring through interesting cars. Though one could certainly expect him to be a bit more technically knowledgeable at this point in his career. Missing that the engine is transverse is certainly omitting a big quirk, same as the Eldorado being front drive. Both could have been one sentence worth of comment but at least acknowledged them. Videos are entertaining, just need to be viewed in context of his knowledge.

Will say I gave a "really?" when he mentioned the reason for the wide side sill is due to the shifter being there. He has dropped into enough mid engine cars at this point for that not to be the first conclusion his mind comes to when seeing it.
I guess it comes down to whether you're watching a vlog to harvest a bunch of information (which is the case for me) or you're looking to be entertained by the humor and antics of the vlogger, and the car is just a prop for the vlogger to do their schtick with.
      12-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #28
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I guess it comes down to whether you're watching a vlog to harvest a bunch of information (which is the case for me) or you're looking to be entertained by the humor and antics of the vlogger, and the car is just a prop for the vlogger to do their schtick with.
This.

Look: I see the value of Doug's product. However, he does two things consistently that automatically make me ignore him:

- Edits viewer feedback unfairly to make himself and his product look better
- Misrepresents opinion as fact, or fails to verify details presented as fact.

As a humorist, he needs to learn to deal with both publicly and honestly. (Again: Jay Leno does both, but he's still quirky and funny.) Instead, he puts his schtick above all else, and can't seem to understand that self-deprecation and humility are frequently far more hilarious than self-censorship and id protection.

Guys like Doug cheapen auto journalism ... and, by extension, outlets like Jalopnik cheapen auto journalism.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #29
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
This.

Look: I see the value of Doug's product. However, he does two things consistently that automatically make me ignore him:

As a humorist, he needs to learn to deal with both publicly and honestly. (Again: Jay Leno does both, but he's still quirky and funny.) Instead, he puts his schtick above all else, and can't seem to understand that self-deprecation and humility are frequently far more hilarious than self-censorship and id protection.

Guys like Doug cheapen auto journalism ... and, by extension, outlets like Jalopnik cheapen auto journalism.
Name:  F4CA6726-7C0A-4D2C-A185-BEBC14DCD9C8.jpeg
Views: 1317
Size:  41.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #30
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
Not when there are those out there who believe irresponsible, self-absorbed humorists are reliable sources for facts by which to form primary opinions.

If you want to rely on the modern-day equivalent of the court jester/village idiot to help form your belief system, be my guest.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #31
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This.

We have to stop thinking of him as an automotive journalist and think of him as a comedian (though not a very funny one) who uses cars as props. Gallagher has his "Sledge-o-Matic," PeeWee Herman had a bike, Henny Youngman had a violin, and Doug has cars. Doug may not make the switch voluntarily, so we have to take the lead and make it for him.
      12-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #32
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
We have to stop thinking of him as an automotive journalist and think of him as a comedian (though not a very funny one) who uses cars as props. Gallagher has his "Sledge-o-Matic," PeeWee Herman had a bike, Henny Youngman had a violin, and Doug has cars. Doug may not make the switch voluntarily, so we have to take the lead and make it for him.
Lols. No value as a reviewer/journalist, more of a comedian but not funny. That’s high praise

Perhaps the most damning thing is that he can be all that and still be better to watch than most of all the fuccboi Youtubers in the “industry”
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #33
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Not when there are those out there who believe irresponsible, self-absorbed humorists are reliable sources for facts by which to form primary opinions.

If you want to rely on the modern-day equivalent of the court jester/village idiot to help form your belief system, be my guest.
You seem pretty butthurt about a guy you claim to ignore.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #34
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwingman View Post
You seem pretty butthurt about a guy you claim to ignore.
As a former pro journalist and entertainment critic (including some off-and-on auto writing), I'm butthurt by what he represents -- falsely, and otherwise.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #35
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
better to watch than most of all the fuccboi Youtubers in the “industry”
...which is a distinction roughly equivalent to having the biggest dick in the 3rd grade.
      12-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #36
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Saw this video the other day. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Can't believe theres people butthurt over this guy. I mean the dude points out weird buttons and icons and shit. Some people must just enjoy that butt pain. Bottom line, enough people seem to find some value in his videos to make it worth his while to keep making them.
Appreciate 2
dtla1826.00
Alfisti6452.50
      12-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #37
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
I like watching Matt Farrah from the smoking Tire. Guy does reviews on some awesome cars and gives his personal opinion on things he would/wouldn't get on the car if he was going to get buy one such as I'd get it with this suspension but not the ceramic brakes etc... in addition he's very thorough with most of the factual stuff and seems to take the time to do his homework.

He's pretty funny too...I was watching this one review and he was comparing prices on them. And he goes, "well this one can shoot fire out the tailpipes and we all know, cars that shoot fire are better than cars that don't shoot fire".
      12-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #38
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Saw this video the other day. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Can't believe theres people butthurt over this guy. I mean the dude points out weird buttons and icons and shit. Some people must just enjoy that butt pain. Bottom line, enough people seem to find some value in his videos to make it worth his while to keep making them.
You seem to spend a lot of time thinking about butts. It's not healthy. Seek help.
      12-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #39
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
I like watching Matt Farrah from the smoking Tire. Guy does reviews on some awesome cars and gives his personal opinion on things he would/wouldn't get on the car if he was going to get buy one such as I'd get it with this suspension but not the ceramic brakes etc... in addition he's very thorough with most of the factual stuff and seems to take the time to do his homework.

He's pretty funny too...I was watching this one review and he was comparing prices on them. And he goes, "well this one can shoot fire out the tailpipes and we all know, cars that shoot fire are better than cars that don't shoot fire".
Agree, Matt's also very good.
      12-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
You seem to spend a lot of time thinking about butts. It's not healthy. Seek help.
I like big butts and I can not lie
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #41
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I like big butts and I can not lie
      12-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #42
larrylarry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Baloney. He's monetized. He has access. He shoots multiple takes using high-quality video hardware. That means he's pro.

As a pro, it's his responsibility to get facts straight, do proper research, represent his topics, and be accountable to his subjects. Do all of that, then use it to find your niche and be humorous. (One guy who does all of this well: Jay Leno).

Instead, Doug regularly ignores key things, doesn't care about being accurate to the point of stating personal belief as fact, and serially deletes criticism or correction instead of using it to make his product better, both in his eyes and the eyes of others.

Dude's a yahoo. (And I don't mean the internet company.)
I think that is kind of his shtick. I don't know of Doug has a editor but there is a big difference in production value between Jay Leno's Garage and Doug's YouTube show.

Quote:
DeBoro doesn't even use language correctly or precisely despite being paid as a writer about cars, a technical subject (well, they are for some of us).

He did a review of the Rolls Royce Ghost, and described the door closing via buttons on the dash by stating that the doors closed "automatically." No, they close manually or electrically. The term automatic means something performs some action without human input. An "automatic transmission" shifts without a human telling it when to shift. Automatically-dimming high beams sense a car in front of your car and dim themselves without you having to do anything.

Do the doors on the Ghost close when you get in or out, without having to pull or push them closed or hit the button? No, they don't. Do they close when you put it in "Drive" or "Reverse" without some action on your part? Nope. Therefore, they're not automatic. They close manually, when you pull on them, or electrically when you push the button. Not automatically. Ever. DeMumble doesn't grasp the distinction, clearly.
Don't you have to put a automatic into drive or reverse? That in itself makes it a misnomer...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #43
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Car looks like a Countach that's starting to melt.
So... A countach?

Jokes aside I agree.