BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Apple Carplay Subscription

12-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Bmw-G30
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i Xdrive

Apple Carplay Subscription

Received this email today from BMW

I'm sure a lot of you will be excited about it
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

interesting - your screenshot from that email shows Carplay in full screen... does that mean an update is coming instead of a coding hack?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
Bmw-G30
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
interesting - your screenshot from that email shows Carplay in full screen... does that mean an update is coming instead of a coding hack?
No idea

I can send them an email and check if they're bringing it
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw-G30 View Post
Quote:
No idea

I can send them an email and check if they're bringing it
I recently had the backup camera recall done on my vehicle and it wiped out my widescreen CarPlay (which was expected). As far as I know, there is not a way to reenable it with EVO version S. OEM Navigations who did mine says they are working on it.

I called BMW assist today to inquire about the free 20 year CarPlay subscription. They refunded the 20 year subscription I just paid for and said it would take affect with my current subscription expires;
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      12-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update: OEM Navigations has updated their installer to enable widescreen CarPlay on EVO-S which was updated with the backup camera recall.

Note: They did have to issue me a new code, but it did not cost me anything since I had already purchased it and was applying it to the same vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just got my email - Northeast US, 2019 M550 from July. I went and did the update via instructions and it was successful. However, I still get the "No longer available" message, but we'll see if more updates come through.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I just got my email - Northeast US, 2019 M550 from July. I went and did the update via instructions and it was successful. However, I still get the "No longer available" message, but we'll see if more updates come through.
What are you referring to? Map version? You should get the occasional update that supposedly come out quarterly. In the Texas region (which is a region all by itself) the last over-the-air update for me was 2019-3. The only way to do a complete update is to talk your service advisor in to it or contact the guy you bought CarPlay from. They have the full updates although you'll never need it unless you drive all over the country. And even if you did, you can change regions whenever you want on the My BMW website.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was referring to the OP's email - I got mine from BMW saying I have a CarPlay subscription change. there are steps in the email to do a ConnectedDrive Update in-car.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was referring to the OP's email - I got mine from BMW saying I have a CarPlay subscription change. there are steps in the email to do a ConnectedDrive Update in-car.
Ah... I haven't seen anything about that despite talking to them over the phone. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Ah... I haven't seen anything about that despite talking to them over the phone. Thank you.
I got mine couple days ago
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What is the process exactly? Mine doesn't expire until January 14th.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #12
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have to dig up email again, but basically it just ask you to update you connect drive unpair and re-pair. Didn't say anything about existing expiration etc
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have to dig up email again, but basically it just ask you to update you connect drive unpair and re-pair. Didn't say anything about existing expiration etc
Thanks. So it's basically logout and log back in. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is to advise you of an important change to your Apple CarPlay Compatibility option as part of BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW is extending the Apple CarPlay Compatibility option for your vehicle to remain active in your vehicle for as long as the feature is technically supported. You will no longer be required to purchase a subscription to keep CarPlay active.

This extension will be at no additional cost to you, and there is no action required on your part to receive the extension.

To use Apple CarPlay in your vehicle with your iPhone, be sure to choose “Apple CarPlay” as the connection mode for your mobile device in the Communication settings.

Note:
As part of this change, we also recommend performing an update of the ConnectedDrive services in your vehicle. This can be done by following the steps below:

Depending on your vehicle’s Model Year and Make, navigate to “BMW Assist”, “ConnectedDrive” or “Apps” using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:
Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller).
Click on “Update BMW Assist”.
Under Apps:
Click on “All Apps”.
Open “Options” (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
Click on “Update apps and services”
Once the update completes, we then recommend shutting the vehicle off and allowing a few minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection.

Should you have any questions, please contact customercare@bmwassist.com or call BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118. You can check the current status of Apple CarPlay and ConnectedDrive services for your vehicle by visiting www.bmwusa.com/MyBMW/ConnectedDrive.

Kind Regards,
BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 3
clee1982796.00
Bymep132.00
      12-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is to advise you of an important change to your Apple CarPlay Compatibility option as part of BMW ConnectedDrive.

BMW is extending the Apple CarPlay Compatibility option for your vehicle to remain active in your vehicle for as long as the feature is technically supported. You will no longer be required to purchase a subscription to keep CarPlay active.

This extension will be at no additional cost to you, and there is no action required on your part to receive the extension.

To use Apple CarPlay in your vehicle with your iPhone, be sure to choose "Apple CarPlay" as the connection mode for your mobile device in the Communication settings.

Note:
As part of this change, we also recommend performing an update of the ConnectedDrive services in your vehicle. This can be done by following the steps below:

Depending on your vehicle's Model Year and Make, navigate to "BMW Assist", "ConnectedDrive" or "Apps" using your iDrive controller.

Under BMW Assist or ConnectedDrive:
Open "Options" (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller).
Click on "Update BMW Assist".
Under Apps:
Click on "All Apps".
Open "Options" (physical button surrounding your iDrive controller)
Click on "Update apps and services"
Once the update completes, we then recommend shutting the vehicle off and allowing a few minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection.

Should you have any questions, please contact customercare@bmwassist.com or call BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118. You can check the current status of Apple CarPlay and ConnectedDrive services for your vehicle by visiting www.bmwusa.com/MyBMW/ConnectedDrive.

Kind Regards,
BMW ConnectedDrive
Thank you for sharing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I just emailed customer care about this, but does anyone know if they're adding it to vehicles that never had it? In the store, I can still purchase a lifetime subscription for $300. My vehicle has the required hardware (wifi hotspot), but it was never "purchased".

Side rant, this whole features-as-a-service thing is.. odd. I rented a 2019 X5 the other day. It has all of the hardware for HBA. I push the HBA button. iDrive says it can be purchased for something like $18. The friggin hardware is there, now it has to be purchased separately?
      01-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #17
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I just emailed customer care about this, but does anyone know if they're adding it to vehicles that never had it? In the store, I can still purchase a lifetime subscription for $300. My vehicle has the required hardware (wifi hotspot), but it was never "purchased".

Side rant, this whole features-as-a-service thing is.. odd. I rented a 2019 X5 the other day. It has all of the hardware for HBA. I push the HBA button. iDrive says it can be purchased for something like $18. The friggin hardware is there, now it has to be purchased separately?
It will come to all eligible cars, but is being released in batches. If you have an eligible car don't buy it and just wait it out...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #18
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post

It will come to all eligible cars, but is being released in batches. If you have an eligible car don't buy it and just wait it out...
That's correct. I just called again yesterday because mine expires on the 14th of this month and I still haven't received the email yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #19
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
That's correct. I just called again yesterday because mine expires on the 14th of this month and I still haven't received the email yet.
What does the BMW Connected site say about your CarPlay status? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #20
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Quote:
What does the BMW Connected site say about your CarPlay status? Just curious.
It just has an expiration date just like any other subscription. When yours expires it's supposed to go to lifetime which is just another word for a 20 year subscription.
Appreciate 0