BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery MY order guide updates?

11-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #1
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘18 Macan Turbo

MY order guide updates?

Hey all, new to the business of ordering new. When a model year order guide is released, is it ever modified? For example, I don’t like any of the 2021 colors for the M550, will BMW update their guide during the year to allow additional ordering options?
Also, I see a frozen black M550 out there but that color isn’t in the guide... how does that happen?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

Really your only options for when you don't like any of the paint colors, but really want the car are:

1.- get a black one and pay to have it wrapped a new color or do a total respray after delivery.
2.- got BMW Individual paint, but be prepared for the paint to cost between $5,000-$12,000 depending on the color and whether matte or not. Also this adds like 6-8 extra weeks to your build time.

Neither are 'great' options, but are the only ways I know to get the specific model but not have one of the preselected paint options.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #3
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
Really your only options for when you don't like any of the paint colors, but really want the car are:

1.- get a black one and pay to have it wrapped a new color or do a total respray after delivery.
2.- got BMW Individual paint, but be prepared for the paint to cost between $5,000-$12,000 depending on the color and whether matte or not. Also this adds like 6-8 extra weeks to your build time.

Neither are 'great' options, but are the only ways I know to get the specific model but not have one of the preselected paint options.
Thanks hoyas. So a wrap is outta the equation and when I was reading the order guide I saw...
Metallic
416 Carbon Black Metallic
475 Black Sapphire Metallic
A90 Dark Graphite Metallic
C1M Phytonic Blue Metallic
C2Y Bluestone Metallic
C3E Bernina Grey Amber Effect
Priority 1
C3Z Tanzanite Blue II Metallic
X1C (Ind) (Ind) Aventurin Red Metallic
... and to me it looked like Aventurin and was the only individual color you could choose.

So are you saying I can order whatever I want regardless of what the order guide says?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mphgolf View Post
Hey all, new to the business of ordering new. When a model year order guide is released, is it ever modified? For example, I don’t like any of the 2021 colors for the M550, will BMW update their guide during the year to allow additional ordering options?
Also, I see a frozen black M550 out there but that color isn’t in the guide... how does that happen?
Yes, some years BMW will update order guides during the model year. This is typically either November or March during each model year.
      11-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #5
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks hoyas. So a wrap is outta the equation and when I was reading the order guide I saw...
Metallic
416 Carbon Black Metallic
475 Black Sapphire Metallic
A90 Dark Graphite Metallic
C1M Phytonic Blue Metallic
C2Y Bluestone Metallic
C3E Bernina Grey Amber Effect
Priority 1
C3Z Tanzanite Blue II Metallic
X1C (Ind) (Ind) Aventurin Red Metallic
... and to me it looked like Aventurin and was the only individual color you could choose.

So are you saying I can order whatever I want regardless of what the order guide says?
Ah, no, Aventurine is a selected paint from BMW's individual color palette they make available regularly, but for more money than usual black sapphire metallic or glacier silver etc.

BMW Individual paint, or really anything custom, is part of BMW Individual. Like Lambo Ad Personam, McLaren MSO, or Porsche Manufaktur.

BMW individual will take $8,000-15,000 of your money and will paint your car any color you want, within reason. You'll see posts about M5Comps in Individual Nardo Gray (an Audi color). That is a 'common' individual color, that bmw licenses from Audi. Similarly how you can get a Rosso Corsa (Ferrari) or Verde Mantis (Lambo) paint. But you'll pay. Look up the BMW Individual configuratior website. That'll show what's in the usual rotation for individual. Those will cost $$$, but are already all pre approved for each model. If you wanted something else or totally custom, they'll do it. But it will take forever and cost a fuck ton of money.

Check out some of Shmee 150's videos on his loaner M5 and his personal M8 Comp. he goes to BMW M / Individual HQ for custom parts. That's all available if you're willing to spend the $.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
35mphgolf
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah, no, Aventurine is a selected paint from BMW's individual color palette they make available regularly, but for more money than usual black sapphire metallic or glacier silver etc.

BMW Individual paint, or really anything custom, is part of BMW Individual. Like Lambo Ad Personam, McLaren MSO, or Porsche Manufaktur.

BMW individual will take $8,000-15,000 of your money and will paint your car any color you want, within reason. You'll see posts about M5Comps in Individual Nardo Gray (an Audi color). That is a 'common' individual color, that bmw licenses from Audi. Similarly how you can get a Rosso Corsa (Ferrari) or Verde Mantis (Lambo) paint. But you'll pay. Look up the BMW Individual configuratior website. That'll show what's in the usual rotation for individual. Those will cost $$$, but are already all pre approved for each model. If you wanted something else or totally custom, they'll do it. But it will take forever and cost a fuck ton of money.

Check out some of Shmee 150's videos on his loaner M5 and his personal M8 Comp. he goes to BMW M / Individual HQ for custom parts. That's all available if you're willing to spend the $.
ahh ok I think I got it. It sounds like they update the order guide with “discounted” individual colors from season to season but you can pay more whenever you want to get whatever you want. Like how Rhodonite was $2k for MY2020 but would be $$$$$ now (of which that specific color I didn’t see on the individual configuration...).

and I’ll check the vids too - thanks for the reference!

Super helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

ahh ok I think I got it. It sounds like they update the order guide with “discounted” individual colors from season to season but you can pay more whenever you want to get whatever you want. Like how Rhodonite was $2k for MY2020 but would be $$$$$ now (of which that specific color I didn’t see on the individual configuration...).

and I’ll check the vids too - thanks for the reference!

Super helpful
Happy to help, I've done a lot of research into Individual and Porsche PTS paint, but can never bring myself to justify the $.

But, basically, yeah.

Tanzanite used to be individual, now it's $1500 semi individual paint on some models. Aventurine was like that, and is one of the 'common' individual paints on the m550i. But as you said, you could throw a lot of money at the problem and get whatever color you want. The old adage of 'pay to play' is very much in effect here haha
Appreciate 0