BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Blue light special

12-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550ix

Blue light special

Calling all 2021 M550 geeks. The blue battery icon light in the instrument cluster, when the mileage indication is selected, is on all the time in my car. I have consulted several dealership "experts", and BMW genius, twice. The common story is: "The blue battery icon that you are describing indicates energy recovery. During energy recovery, the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into electric energy during coasting. The vehicle battery is partially charged and fuel consumption can be reduced."
This explanation does not fit what I am seeing: light on, all the time, even in sport under hard acceleration....I can assure you, I am not coasting all the time.
I'm offering two free covid masks and a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese for any plausible explanation.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Have a picture?
I'll get one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
GeniusAdam
BMW Genius
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeneral14 View Post
Calling all 2021 M550 geeks. The blue battery icon light in the instrument cluster, when the mileage indication is selected, is on all the time in my car. I have consulted several dealership "experts", and BMW genius, twice. The common story is: "The blue battery icon that you are describing indicates energy recovery. During energy recovery, the kinetic energy of the vehicle is converted into electric energy during coasting. The vehicle battery is partially charged and fuel consumption can be reduced."
This explanation does not fit what I am seeing: light on, all the time, even in sport under hard acceleration....I can assure you, I am not coasting all the time.
I'm offering two free covid masks and a box of Kraft Mac n Cheese for any plausible explanation.
Battery icon is on all the time, but there is a litle box next to it. Under acceleration it should be "empty" and with braking or coasting it should fill up with blue colour accordingly to how much the battery is being charged.

You can keep covid masks and a box
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
BimmerGeneral14
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusAdam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeneral14 View Post
Battery icon is on all the time, but there is a litle box next to it. Under acceleration it should be "empty" and with braking or coasting it should fill up with blue colour accordingly to how much the battery is being charged.

You can keep covid masks and a box
Thanks for the explanation. It didn't occur to me that the blue battery light on didn't really mean anything other than to show what the blue color box was indicating....silly me.
Appreciate 0